XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

SOS Limited Telematics Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 12:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SOS Limited Telematics Battery Replacement

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this. Have had the dreaded SOS Limited error message (Done on a 2017 XE R-Sport 35t but should work with any telematics unit as they are pretty much the same across many Jaguar and Land Rover Models). After Researching a bit I came to the conclusion that it was an issue with the Telematics Module back up battery voltage not being up to required capacity anymore. As there wasn't a real guide that I saw from searching available to solve this issue and reset the module without a computer I figured I would make one real quick.

Disclaimer: Note that this worked in my situation and may not necessarily work for every model year of the car, I take no responsibility for the actions of any mechanic, shop, or fellow garage mechanic. This is a one beer/energy drink Job.

I sourced my Telematics Battery from Rovers Land (aka LRBRITISHPARTS) in Miami, they were the only ones that had the T4N2591/LR046049 (?) part needed. Everyone else had cheap and crap Chinese knock-off parts.

1. Pull off the Door seam seal from vehicle body on the Rear Passenger Side, this partially holds in the Bolster Trim for the rear seat. I also dropped the seat through the trunk when doing this.

2. Pull Bolster trim away from the body exposing the Telematics Module. I used an empty water bottle and wedged it between the bolster and the body to keep the bolster propped.

Above is what the unit looks like once you pull back the trim. The general configuration of the battery in the module is displayed above.

3. Use a 2mm Allen wrench to remove the cover screw. Once removed you will need to pull off the door that has two hooks on the bottom so pull the door away from the module before pulling it up.

4. Pull battery down over the connector and remove the connector from the telematics unit by pressing on the top of the wire harness tab and gently pull on the connector. It is pictured below with an arrow on the tab. Once removed you will need to put the battery back on in reverse order (reconnect the harness with the tab facing up into the connector, gently fold over battery into battery slot).

5. Angle cover back onto telematics unit, apply gentle pressure to keep the cover down and the battery seated while you put the screw back on the top end of the cover. Tighten till the screw is seated.
6. Remove wedged item from bolster and seated back in place. While holding it down, place the partially removed seam seal back into place.

The SOS Limited will not automatically go away as the vehicle does not automatically register the replaced battery. You will have to open the cover to the maintenance assistance button located on the driver side of the SOS button panel. I pressed on the top of the button cover to drop it and expose the button for maintenance assistance.

Turn on vehicle accessories by pressing the start button WITHOUT pressing the brake peddle.

Press and Hold the maintenance assistance button. It will begin blinking somewhat rapidly in an amber light. Hold button until it starts to blink slowly. release the button and turn accessories/car off. Wait 5-10 minutes for the Telematics System to run a self diagnostics and register the new battery and voltage level.

The SOS Limited error was cleared on the XE after performing these steps. Photos added and captions added as needed. Let me know if there is any further clarification needed. Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by CASonCALL:
2018XF25T (09-03-2023), dangoesfast (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 02:30 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Nice write-up. Thanks for that!

Old 09-03-2023, 05:06 PM
Received 283 Likes on 213 Posts

Great write-up