XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Squeal after long parking, low speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Squeal after long parking, low speed

The car developed a high pitched squeal after being parked for a while. It disappears after sudden acceleration or sudden braking. The squeal only present when the tires are rotating. Anyone experienced this issue?

I found something almost identical:

Last edited by EngshMan; 12-07-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,834 Posts

It would be helpful to have vehicle details, such as MY, kilometres/miles, any recent work done to the braking system.

First video in the car park isn't helpful due to background noises; second video sounds like a brake pad wear indicator beginning to make contact with the brake disc.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Its 17, AWD 180 D, 18k Miles on ODO. No, nothing needed to be worked on except 3 alignments within 1.5 year period. In both cases on videos those people don't press the brakes neither do I. The noise appears when the wheels turn. If I accelerate coming out from a garage ramp and stop suddenly the noise disappears. My brakes squealed from day one, not loud but like a mouse.

Last edited by EngshMan; 12-07-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 704 Posts

I have noticed squeaks and squeals occasionally after a car has sat for long time, and sometimes even overnight when the weather turns cold and damp. The brake rotors develop a coat of surface rust and the noise disappears as that surface rust wears off, usually within the first two or three applications of the brakes. If its particularly obnoxious, I'll drag the brakes the first 100 feet or so to rub it off quickly. Some cars are worse than others and some never do it at all. It could be attributed to the brake caliper design or the rust-resistance of the rotor material. Before you drive it next time, look to see if the rotors look orange. Maybe roll the car back a couple of feet and look to see if there is a patch of rust underneath where the brake pad was. Then as soon as it stops squeaking, get out and look to see if they look clean.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:59 PM

Yes, they are rusted orange. Sometimes the car sits 2 days sometimes 5. I noticed that the rust started showing up around the rim lug nuts too, but easily can be cleaned. Never had a car the rust would be in this area. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by EngshMan; 12-07-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I would try hard braking a few times to see if it makes a difference.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

All brake discs rust to a certain degree when left unused. However, the Jaguar XE (and maybe other Jaguar) discs do seem to be more inclined to rust significantly after only a short time (like just overnight). This explains why a number of XE owners have complained that their discs needed replacement after only a few tens of thousands of miles (sometimes as little as 10,000 to 15,000 miles). I've never had this problem with other cars and can only assume that Jaguar must specify an inferior (and maybe cheaper) quality steel for their discs. Disappointing for what is supposed to be an up-market car.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:34 PM

This is uber nonsense if a car needs a disk replacement at 10,000-15,000 miles. Also, I don't even use the brakes that much and don't ride them in the traffic. I don't like the fact something major needs to be replaced that soon which is unlikely will be covered by warranty. My main concern is that the vehicle needs to be serviced by some amateur-careless mechanic at Jaguar or contractor. I already had a bad experience, and it was not something serious. For now the noise is gone. If it comes back I'll take the car to a dealer.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

If its squeak, squeak, squeak, that means the rotor is no longer perfectly flat. But no rotor was ever PERFECT The squeak squeak just gets louder the worse it is. They measure the "runout" with a dial indicator and if its out of tolerance, then they will replace the rotor, but only if its beyond a safe tolerance. If it's squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, then it's just rust and the rotor is fine. They will not likely replace it. But rust alone doesn't make the rotor get out of tolerance. That usually happens because the rotor was overheated. Maybe a parking brake stuck on or somebody drove down a mountain road with their foot on the brake the whole way. The rust squeak only served to alert them to the fact that something was wrong. But if somebody complained of any kind of brake noise at 15K miles, I can see a Jaguar dealer offering to replace the rotors just as a goodwill gesture. At that point, the lease is probably about due and they're hoping new rotors will quiet it down long enough to lease them a new model.

Last edited by pdupler; 12-10-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

After sleeping on it, I should have also mentioned rust could put the rotor out of tolerance by causing it to wear too thin. There's a specification for minimum thickness too and the rust is certainly removing some material. But I suspect it would take a long time.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
If its squeak, squeak, squeak, that means the rotor is no longer perfectly flat. But no rotor was ever PERFECT The squeak squeak just gets louder the worse it is. They measure the "runout" with a dial indicator and if its out of tolerance, then they will replace the rotor, but only if its beyond a safe tolerance. If it's squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek, then it's just rust and the rotor is fine. They will not likely replace it. But rust alone doesn't make the rotor get out of tolerance. That usually happens because the rotor was overheated. Maybe a parking brake stuck on or somebody drove down a mountain road with their foot on the brake the whole way. The rust squeak only served to alert them to the fact that something was wrong. But if somebody complained of any kind of brake noise at 15K miles, I can see a Jaguar dealer offering to replace the rotors just as a goodwill gesture. At that point, the lease is probably about due and they're hoping new rotors will quiet it down long enough to lease them a new model.
Yes, a squeak is every time a wheel turned sounds very similar like in those videos and once it was super nasty like the NYC subway train, my parking garage is quite audible. To be replicated the car needs to be left at a dealership for about 24-48 hours, I hope they will provide a loaner.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Just to say that when I bought my 2017 reg XE in January 2019, at 10k miles and still under the original warranty, I noticed some steering wheel shake under braking, so took the car back for a check. They came back, (Jaguar main agent near where I live), and said disc runout was within tolerance and anyway, the warranty didn't cover brake wear and tear. Of course I immediately said - "yes, but it's Jaguar that sets those tolerances" . I didn't go in all heavy, and said that I was prepared to pay something as the car had already done 10k miles but didn't think I should pay the lot. So we agreed, and new Jaguar front discs and pads were fitted, but when I came to collect the car and pay my share, they said there was nothing to pay, it was done under goodwill. Now, here's the thing, those discs and pads are still on the car and its done 30k miles, so 20k since fitment. No shudder on braking and from what I can see everything is in good order. The pads produce very little dust at all, so I am well pleased, as the 2007 XJ I had previously always needed frequent wheel cleaning due to brake dust.

The following users liked this post:
AZBob (12-12-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes and rotors are all totally shot at just 8,000 miles. No brake sensors ever went off. I don't drive it much, no winter driving, no hard braking and IMO that is completely ridiculous. Jag says it's NORMAL, wanted to replace all with same exact junk parts LMAO.