XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Sunroof one touch issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof one touch issue

hi folks, I got a XE-S recently. However I got an issue with sunroof one touch function. I cannot open the sunroof with one touch function automatically. The only way is to hold the button till opened.
i know it can be reset and it can operate well after reset. But the weld issue is after parked for some days, the function be lost again, I need to reset it again.

do any one got this issue or know how to fixed it?

Old 06-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yong,

I had this exact issue with my 2017 XE R-Sport - I would run through the reset routine in owner's manual and reset it but it would come back after a couple of days. It took a couple of trips to the dealer to resolve. There were several fault codes found for the roof blind module and the sunroof module. They would reset the control modules with SDD software and the problem would go away for a few days, but the problem would come back.

The final fix in my case was to replace the roof opening wiring harness. On the paperwork I received this was listed as bulletin #JTB00553NAS1. They explained that they hadn't originally looked at this bulletin because my VIN# was outside of the cars that had the problematic harness. I don't have a copy of the actual bulletin but I recall that the service manager explained that there was a high resistance in one of the circuits of the harness which effectively simulated an obstruction in the path of the sunroof, effectively disabling the automatic open and close feature.

The service department have a troubleshooting procedure to work through, which I understand, but this took a little more time and discussion with Jaguar HQ to resolve because the problem didn't stack up with the VIN#. Full credit to them though at sticking with it until it was fully resolved. Maybe you have a rogue wiring harness too that got installed.

-Steve

Last edited by fireblader929; 06-26-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
chrisburns61 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

This is perfectly correct.
Same behavior, and same problem on my Prestige version 25T.

There IS a diagnostics machine, that the dealership can simply hook your car up to, and the machine will tell them after a couple of hours "replace the darn moonroof control module".
But I hear that that diagnostics machine is super expensive, so dealerships elect to RENT it only when they feel they need it, and will fuddle around with your car trying all sorts of less costly "let's try this" methods hoping to make the symptoms go away.

Once the module is replaced, you are good to go.

The following users liked this post:
chrisburns61 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 PM

Actually that reminds me...they did replace the sunroof control module on mine because that's what the SDD software came up with but a day later stopped working again...wiring harness in my case was the root cause. That's not to say for sure it's the same thing on Yong's car...just what I encountered. It should all be under warranty though to I would just let them go through their procedures until they get it fixed.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for all your useful information. I called dealer about that, but they cannot find any root cause. After I told them it's the wire harness issue, they replaced it and now it works perfectly.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:12 PM

I have a problem with my sunroof, it was closing and opening after I was pressing a button to close. Many recommended to reset the sunroof but before I done this it fixed itself for 3 months now started doing it again.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by EngshMan
I have a problem with my sunroof, it was closing and opening after I was pressing a button to close. Many recommended to reset the sunroof but before I done this it fixed itself for 3 months now started doing it again.
Hi there!
Be advised, your Moonroof (important to call it a moonroof, not just a sunroof) hasn’t fixed itself. It’s been operating out of synch.
Your problem is different from the OP's, since the roof IS automatically responding to commands, but just not completely staying closed.
The Jaguar operating instructions explain that all motors have “anti-trap” programming. When something interrupts a closing panel, the motor “feels” the obstruction, and wants to reverse. When the obstruction is sensed, even if you don’t see the panel reverse direction, the motor has hesitated enough to throw the program out of synch.

Trouble is, this happens on the moonroof even when a tiny pebble, crusty leaf, chip of glass, sits in the rails or gets momentarily pinched on the plastic frame of the wind baffle---the sunroof feels an obstruction, and bobbles the program. From that point forward, Jaguar says it’s actually operating out of synch.
Easily remedied, but you have to go through this process;

1. Open the moonroof fully, take a wet paper towel with a tiny amount of soap and wipe off all the plastic trim you find around the opening. All those sliding surfaces need to stay slick smooth and tidy. Don’t wipe the tracks—they are covered in that necessary grease—yuck. But check inside for old leaf bits or bark that may have gotten pulverized recently.

2. THEN, do the moonroof reset. It’s not as easy to master as the window reset, since you have to keep your finger tight on those stiff ceiling buttons through the whole procedure—and any relaxing of your finger will cause the whole reset program to cancel out.

The moonroof is my second favorite piece of glass in the whole car (second only to those headlights). So I do this 2-step maintenance every month---that panel is my baby! But I’m just being a nut.

If you have kids in the car, it’s a good idea to do a reset for the windows too, once a year. Or eventually you’ll think a window is fully closed, and it’s actually open enough for pranksters to start messing with your glass.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:46 AM

This is what I was thinking something got stuck there preventing to close it properly, but alas, the rails are clean and lubricated and nothing is preventing it to close. I'll do reset per your instruction this weekend, but now I have some other annoying issues I started a new thread. Also, I'm referring it as a sunroof, it's sort of panoramic and wider than generic moonroof, but not as big as an older brother's panoramic glass roof.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM

I experienced my first sunroof WAY LATE in life than most of us. I was 46 years old, and driving a rented Chevy Impala. I tried the sunroof, and was blown away (literally too, cuz the sunroofs back then still hadn’t perfected a trim to prevent the wind from gushing in and blowing all your Burger King wrappers around the cabin---it was Paradise!)

So before I bought this XE I did a lot of researching to find out what this “sunroof”, “moonroof”, “panoramic” jazz is all about. So ours is a Moonroof because it has a second sliding shield beneath the glass. The second layer can be hard, completely light-blocking, or just “filter’ light like a window shade. But it means a second layer on its own tracks, that complicates (puts limits on) how the sunroof glass above it can behave.

Electronic-controlled moonroofs need a module that has to keep “deciding” which panel opens first, and how far, when to ‘ignore’ your finger on the button, and where to stop when closing, etc. Ordinary electric sunroofs don’t have to deal with so much computer logic—they just open, or just close.

When you observe your moonroof NOT following moonroof-logic (like say, opening the glass roof all the way while the sunshade is only half open)--- your moonroof control module needs replacing.