XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Super small leak from top of driver door seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super small leak from top of driver door seal

Hey all,

I have a super small leak on my driver side door. It only happenes when washing the car or heavy rain. It's a single drop at a time so it isn't like it is pouring in. I have attached. Picture of the door so you can see where it is coming through at. The seal on the door and on the car looks fine, any potential culprits anyone can think of?

Old 09-28-2023, 03:51 AM
Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Do you see it dripped when you're inside the car or when you opened the door? If you see it from the inside, then weather strip seal isn't seated right. If you see it when you opened the door, I believe this is normal.
Do a comparison of the weather strip seal of the driver's door and the passenger door. Observe both closely. Try to massage the driver weather strip seal inwards and if you have a water hose, close the door and splash with water and see what happens. The mating between the weather strip to the body of the car should be free of dust (clean). It should be a tight seal like the seal of a refrigerator door.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 09-28-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Do you see it dripped when you're inside the car or when you opened the door? If you see it from the inside, then weather strip seal isn't seated right. If you see it when you opened the door, I believe this is normal.
Do a comparison of the weather strip seal of the driver's door and the passenger door. Observe both closely. Try to massage the driver weather strip seal inwards and if you have a water hose, close the door and splash with water and see what happens. The mating between the weather strip to the body of the car should be free of dust (clean). It should be a tight seal like the seal of a refrigerator door.
It drips while I'm inside the car. It's only the driver side door and both of the seal strips look like they're in great shape. I'll try and clean it and see if that helps at all. It is really weird that it is only that single spot that drips.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I got an idea, how about wiping the weather strip with a baby oil or liquid soap. After the application close the door. Open the door, and now you can see traces of the baby oil or liquid soap to the body. The area you don't find traces of the application, that's the area you should concentrate on. The weather strip should be in contact to the body so that it seals the water from going inside the car. If all is done and the water still drips, then the weather strip is defective and should be replaced.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
I got an idea, how about wiping the weather strip with a baby oil or liquid soap. After the application close the door. Open the door, and now you can see traces of the baby oil or liquid soap to the body. The area you don't find traces of the application, that's the area you should concentrate on. The weather strip should be in contact to the body so that it seals the water from going inside the car. If all is done and the water still drips, then the weather strip is defective and should be replaced.
That's a great idea, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Old 09-30-2023, 07:20 PM

Thought i'd come back and say the while the seal looks like it is in perfect shape, there's definitely something wrong with it. Since it isn't a huge issue, ill order some new seals and replace them before the rainy season comes in full tilt.

Thank you for your assistance.

The following users liked this post:
2018XF25T (09-30-2023)