XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Tire question - "comparable in quality to the original equipment"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 02:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tire question - "comparable in quality to the original equipment"

Can anyone with lease-return experience fill me in a little bit on what is typically meant by "comparable in quality to the original equipment" when referring to tires in your lease contract?

My lease is ending next month, and I'm fairly certain that I will need tires. The fronts aren't too bad, but the backs seem kinda worn. So I know that upon turn-in all four tires must be the same brand/model and the same amount of tread-wear, but I'm just curious about the verbiage "comparable in quality to the original equipment" since that seems very vague to me.

The reason I ask is, I'm going to get new tires put on first before my inspection, so that the finance company doesn't bill me for tires at ridiculous dealer prices. But I've got to get as inexpensive tires as possible, since I just lost my job.

The tires that it came with from the factory are 225/50R17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season. I'm not sure how to tell if they are run-flats, but it doesn't say run-flat anywhere on the tire that I can see.

So what do you think is the threshold of "cheap" tires that I could put on and get away with? The reason I ask is, because it would really suck to put new tires on, and then still get a bill from the finance company if the inspector deems those tires to be "inferior"

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Here in the UK, tyres are divided into three categories

1. Premium - the major and very well known makes, Pirelli being one of them. If you fit any of the major premium brands with the same parameters you are in the clear.
2. Mid-range - tyres that may be made by the above makers under a different name, or tyres from Japan. Europe, or USA that tend to be cheaper than Premium,but of almost equal performance, but at a lower price. Most owners of up-market cars tend to fit these, as they offer almost t he same performance without the cost. However, those with a contract may not be able to fit these without penalty, so you'd have to check. As a matter of interest, last year we had a rep from a local Jaguar dealer in Warrington who told us they no longer fit premium tyres to their used sale cars. They fit mid-range.
3. Budget - tyres for people running older cars where there is no real need for premium tyres as the car performance doesn't demand them, and money is tight ! Certainly not suitable in your circumstances,

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakd...-premium-tyres

What the situation is in the US, I don't know, but it is bound to be similar. The main thing is to fit tyres with identical parameters to those on the car, That way you're in the clear. This means every parameter, not just size.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 03-27-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:22 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Pirelli P7 tires are definitely not run flats, as I was recently reminded when a NYC pothole did one in.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Call NTB or any tire chain that is in your locale. Tell them the same as here and see what they have to offer. Should be able to do all 4 for under 1K.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM

I guess I was kinda looking more for opinions, as in what would you do? If you just lost your job, so money is an issue, and you were returning your otherwise pristine condition lease vehicle in May.

If your tires were questionable... would you:
a. Buy high-end brand new tires from NTB or other reputable shop? (Expensive, but low risk- inspector will not flag you for needing replacement tires)
b. Get a set of high-end used tires of all them same make/model and tread-wear? Cheaper than option a above, but the replacements may not even be much better, if at all, than what's on the car now
c. Do nothing, and hope the inspector doesn't notice or is maybe having a good day and if it's right on the cusp, maybe he'll let you slide (most risky)

Maybe to some of you I'm being cheap, but honestly even $500 out of pocket expense would be a lot for me right now. Hence why I'm considering getting some used tires put on. My concern with that though, and this goes back to my original question, is that if I go through the trouble of getting used tires put on, and the inspector doesn't like the brand, or if originals were run flats and the replacements are not, if the inspector flags it, I'm gonna end up owing the bank full price anyway for a brand new set of tires. right?

Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM
Received 4,303 Likes on 3,720 Posts

having dealt with this on a previous lease turn in (Mercedes) - the inspector was extremely thorough and yes they will hit you for tires that don't meet spec. If you can find identical used replacements - most places selling used tires give you tread depth/estimated tire life remaining so you could get by.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Did you measure the tires? They will and take a picture of it. Make sure you are going to be on the hook for them.

They are not run flats. What is the cheapest quote you got from a tire chain? Even used tires are going to be $150 to mount and you have no recourse. If $500 hurts, it could hurt even more if you have to do it again.

You'll still need money to release the car at the end and Chase somehow sends a "thank you" bill after the car has been returned and you moved on mentally.

How about trade it in on a new JLR lease?

Old 03-30-2020, 06:15 PM
Received 4,303 Likes on 3,720 Posts

not sure about dealer's in his area but my lease ended the 23rd of March. To turn in for a newer model would have increased my payments by 100/month - wasn't having that so I ended up keeping and financed the balance through USAA cutting payments by 100

Old 03-31-2020, 02:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think speed ratings are the best indicator of the quality of the design and manufacture of a tire. The higher the speed rating the better the tire. Sure some may argue it is treadwear rating but that has more to do about the hardness of the tread compound. Some of the most expensive, highest performance , best constructed tires have the worse treadware rating. If I recall the P7 have a "H" speed rated - should be easy to find higher speed rated therefore quality non-OEM replacement tires. It is pretty obvious that tire manufacturers give the OEM's a break on price to become OEM and then try to make up their losses in the aftermarket.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:53 AM

So I was told by JLR/Chase that they're not doing inspections anymore due to COVID, so I was told that I would have to just return my car to the dealer on the lease end date, and wait to get the bill, which kinda sucks. I'd rather have the opportunity to address any issues before hand, but oh well. The car is i immaculate condition, so I can't see them calling me out for anything, plus I have a $1000 toward any issues (excluding tires and excessive mileage). I do have a feeling that I'm going to have to fight with the dealership for them to take it back. JLR has been pretty aggressive with their offers for me to keep it and extend the lease.

So back to the tire discussion, the rears are right at 4/32, while the fronts are around 6/32. So I'm thinking of just replacing the rears with some used ones. I can't for the life of me find any used P7 that are 98H, but I see a lot that are 94V.

Would it be acceptable to replace the rear tires with the same make/model/size but with a higher speed rating (but lower load rating) than the OEM on the front? If all treads are above 4/32, will they flag me for this?

Old 04-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Those tires should be fine

Old 04-28-2020, 10:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I thought they were extending expiring leases by a few months, just keep making the same payment? May have read that on the F-type forum, or maybe via a Jag email. I don't lease, so didn't pay much attention.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
I thought they were extending expiring leases by a few months, just keep making the same payment? May have read that on the F-type forum, or maybe via a Jag email. I don't lease, so didn't pay much attention.
They are, but as I mentioned in my original post, I just lost my job, so this isn't a good option for me. I want to return the car on the lease end date.