XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Tracking the XE Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tracking the XE Tomorrow

For the next two days I'll be having classes and track, and track comparison testing in the 2016 Jags. If anyone has any questions or wants close up photos of some part of the XE they like to see better, let me know and I'll do my best.

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Cheers! I'm tortured between getting my missus the 177KW 2.5T XE or holding out for the XE S. If you get to drive the 2.5T I'd really appreciate an opinion - will it be fun to drive though not necessarily on a track. You might not get to drive it because they aren't taking that engine to the US, but waiting for the igenium petrol, I think.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:13 PM

I'm not sure but from everything I've heard the suspension make any of them fun to drive anywhere. They just did a parade of all the 2016 models. The crowd loved all them. The F Pace looks amazing in person and the XE S looks extremely mean!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Cheers. I drove the 20T and it was amazingly good with handling and ride, but not something that would push you back in the seat by any means. You are in for a treat there. And the reviews of the XE S are awesome but over here it costs about a third on top of a decent specced 25T. But I haven't been able to drive the 25T as yet and there are very few reviews of it, and none that I have seen really deal with the performance.

Have fun!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 PM

The XE S will not be inexpensive but man does it sound bad ***!

Last edited by GGabriel; 09-20-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Gabriel

re the XE, I'd be curious if it's the AWD version? And if so, what the curb (kerb) weight is, if you can find out. Also, how the handling is on track if AWD, just curious, for now!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGreco
Gabriel

re the XE, I'd be curious if it's the AWD version? And if so, what the curb (kerb) weight is, if you can find out. Also, how the handling is on track if AWD, just curious, for now!
This quote from a very recent Motor Tend review (link at bottom of this post) suggests answers to your questions.

"The biggest differentiator is the way the Jaguar drives," Evans says. "The Jag feels lighter and considerably more nimble than the BMW. The steering is lighter and more precise, and the chassis feels more responsive, all of which lets me put the car exactly where I want it on the road with total confidence. More than that, though, the Jag is more fun and playful. It's a looser car, and though it's quite controlled, there's always the sense it would be happy to rotate if you asked." I concur. I'll also add that the BMW is damn good. Would I say the XE S is in another class than the Bimmer? No. We're talking 5, 10 percent better, tops. But the sporting feel of the Jag is better than that of the BMW."

BMW 335i M Sport vs. Jaguar XE S Head 2 Head Comparison - Motor Trend All Pages

ElGreco (09-21-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Their being kind...the XE is in a different class! It wasn't just me, there were women that werent into cars coming off the track saying the same thing. The BMW is closest to the XE compared to the other competitors, but it feels OLD....and HEAVY...and crude in comparison.

How can't it? The XF is the only car in class with this sophisticated of a suspension. The only one at this level of rigidity. The only one that's completely brand new. This is a brand new chassis using the latest in design engineering. That's big news, and it shows on the track.

This feels, looks and feels like a much more expensive car.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:49 PM

Sorry, I just saw your question. We only had the XE 340 hp rear drive. Maybe it was due to my limited skill, but the AWD F TYPE R was much easier to drive fast than the rear drive. It may be the same for the XE AWD.

Regardless of the engine you get, the chassis will be the same. The turbo D is also quite a bit lighter were it counts, in the nose. It should feel even better the what I drive on the track. I've only heard good things about the turbo D from friends that drove them. It's not slow!

ElGreco (09-26-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 PM

This is some cool tech Jag wants in the dealerships. After tagging an object (it could be a business card) you move an IPad around and strip the car down by layers

Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Old 09-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

It sounds badass... so the V6 in it sounds like the F-type?? Any functionality to open up any exhaust valves?? Thanks!

Loth

Old 09-27-2015, 08:05 AM

No exhaust button

I'd say from inside the cabin and standing by the XE as they took off, the sound was all F Type, but without the open valve craziness.

The training (current pro driver) that was crawling around inside the cutaway F Type (F Type section) was talking about the valved mufflers and drew out a diagram.

I was able to get direct confirmation from him that Jaguar did in fact measure a substantial back pressure difference (and power difference) between the valves opened and closed.

We were locked out of dynamic mode, and I couldn't find the crackle & pop you get with it when the valves are opened with Jags that have it.

Knowing Jag, the hot models will have it.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by GGabriel
No exhaust button

I'd say from inside the cabin and standing by the XE as they took off, the sound was all F Type, but without the open valve craziness.

The training (current pro driver) that was crawling around inside the cutaway F Type (F Type section) was talking about the valved mufflers and drew out a diagram.

I was able to get direct confirmation from him that Jaguar did in fact measure a substantial back pressure difference (and power difference) between the valves opened and closed.

We were locked out of dynamic mode, and I couldn't find the crackle & pop you get with it when the valves are opened with Jags that have it.

Knowing Jag, the hot models will have it.
For all those worried about not having active exhaust (openable valves) on the XE, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As I said in another thread the basic sport exhaust (no valves) on the F-Type is quite loud, and it is a very free-flowing exhaust.

What the instructor said may be true about back pressure with the active exhaust valves closed, but the basic exhaust system has no valves to close. Consider the fact that the 340HP V6 in the F-Type has the same peak HP and torque ratings with either basic or valved (active) exhaust system, thus it's about sound not power.

If the driving instructor said that about power and back pressure, it's misleading and incorrect, because even when closed, the valves automatically open when you aggressively open the throttle, regardless of switch position. Thus, if he actually said there was a power difference, associated with the valves opened and closed, that's nonsense, because they are always open in the power band. Perhaps you misheard.

In addition, there's the same pop and crackle with the the non-valved exhaust. I've been enjoying it almost daily for 1.5 years on an F-Type with non-valved exhaust. It's the ECU producing the pops and crackles, by injecting a little extra fuel into the engine during deceleration. In addition, "dynamic mode" has nothing directly to do with either the valve position or the pops and crackles, because it changes the throttle mapping, and transmission shift points. The valves open and close, and it pops and crackles in regular, sport, or dynamic modes.

In fact, the basic sport exhaust is louder than the active exhaust with the valves closed. I'm very pleased with it, and it is just the right amount of loud. A lot of people (particularly passengers) complain about the F-Type being too loud, even the no-valve sport exhaust, and given the market XE is targeted toward, it might be dialed back a bit for good reason. However, I agree that they will likely offer a high performance edition targeted at the M3/4 and MB AMG competitors down the road.

Driving instructors, for the most part, are not engineers or technical experts, so take some of what they say about the engineering nuances with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-27-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM

You know, you can get substantial hp gains on diesel turbo engines very, very easily. You can swap the parts off if you have a service issue, but some things that are off engine (induction-exhaust) do not effect claims. Jag dealers just can't put the stuff on.

But still, if the pricing is similar to other cars in the class you looking at, it's not really a comparison is it? I'd rather have less hp when the chassis, interior and styling are this good. I guess cause I'm a motor head and know there's more hp that can be easily obtained.

You wouldn't believe the hp & tq gains our turbo diesels get with simple bolt on (F -250, F-350, Ram, Silverado, etc...) I'm always envious of the massive gains the diesel truck guys have available to them. Anything that works on their rigs should work on Jags diesels (which are clean by the way

Stab at VW-Audi-Porsche-Skoda for being cheating *******s

Quick Reply: Tracking the XE Tomorrow