XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Upcoming Extended Test Drive 1/4 to 1/11

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Bruce, you're making this a lot easier for me. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,311 Likes on 902 Posts

Bellanca, what year have you got? I thought that the black and white was was terribly fiddly and hard to use, and a pain because it was so slow to bootup on starting the car. The blue one was much easier, IMO. The XE one is easier to use generally, and much faster than both, and clearer, but the home button is in a nuisance position. Maybe you can go back to it from the steering wheel buttons - I'll have to check.

It's making my XKR feel pretty dated inside :-(

Thanks OP. Kyanite Blue was my fave colour when the XFR came out...the blue sapphire looks good in the XE though.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Bruce, mine is a 2013. It's not the fastest but I'm usually not fiddling with things every 5 seconds anyway so I don't mind that much.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Any update on your extended test drive?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Found out the extended timeframe is 1/8 to 1/11. Will do a new thread at that time. Keep the wish list coming though.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the update Kyanite. Judging from your XFR setup, looks like you are into performance. Any chance you can take the XE to a drag strip for 1/4 mile runs, or Vbox test 0-60, etc.. Curious if you have had your XFR on a track and what times you have run??

Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I have. 12.2@117 with poor launch execution on my part. Only had a few runs that day so never got into a groove. I've realized I'm a torgue junky and I like the feeling of being pushed deep into my seat. A supercharged V8 with a tune and pulley definitely does the trick!

None of the strips are open now and I don't have a V-Box. I can try it with the Torque app though.

I briefly drove an RC-F and drive an 08 G35 daily, so I should be able to give a good idea of whether it's impressive for the class. I also did a short autocross track in an F-Type S which really made an impression on me for it's balance. Closest thing to a 911 that I've ever experienced.

The following users liked this post:
QwikCat (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 PM

12.2 is quick! You'll have to calibrate your butt dyno for the XE testing

Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, it was quick. I expected something in that range or better after the last dyno session. So I was mostly satisfied, especially that I was the one making it happen.

In having previous experiences in other vehicles, as well as knowing my Jag and Infiniti very well, I should be able to give an acceptable or not assessment for acceleration from stop and on the move. When I drove an XF service loaner with the V8, I felt it was completely acceptable in terms of performance and had great characteristics. That is the level I'm expecting in the XE. I've also driven the 2.0 turbo and that was a fail for a performance car and barely viable as a luxury commuter. It was fine on the freeway, but in town the small engine and heavy car were a bad combo. In the Evoque, the same engine seemed a lot better, so not sure if it was gearing or weight that changed the character.

Really hoping the all around balance and manners are there. Small sedans don't necessarily need to be fast to be engaging and entertaining. My Infiniti steering feel and precision isn't half as good as my Jag, but the lower weight of the car makes it easier to push harder into and through tighter corners. That it has about half the hp and torque makes corner exit less dramatic at lower speeds too. It really lacks that jaw dropping power between chutes, the really composed suspension and the big brakes to slow it down like the XFR. So I'm hoping the XE blends the two into the best of both worlds

Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 AM

Cool. With your driving experiences, it'll be very interesting to hear your opinions of the XE R Sport. When Jaguar finally gets this car to America, I plan to take mine to some SCCA events and the drag strip. Since I'm first on the list at my dealership here, I'll probably be one of the first in the South East to take a production XE to the strip. Don't think many Jag owners go there anyways. Unfortunately I'm at sea level, with temperatures in the 90s, but I still hope for times in the low to mid 13's. We shall see? I have only seen raving reviews of this car on the European side, even MotorTrend flew over to Spain to do a head to head against the BMW 335i and were truly impressed. Bring it on!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikCat
Cool. With your driving experiences, it'll be very interesting to hear your opinions of the XE R Sport. When Jaguar finally gets this car to America, I plan to take mine to some SCCA events and the drag strip. Since I'm first on the list at my dealership here, I'll probably be one of the first in the South East to take a production XE to the strip. Don't think many Jag owners go there anyways. Unfortunately I'm at sea level, with temperatures in the 90s, but I still hope for times in the low to mid 13's. We shall see? I have only seen raving reviews of this car on the European side, even MotorTrend flew over to Spain to do a head to head against the BMW 335i and were truly impressed. Bring it on!
Love the Motor Trend comparison, and love the car in it.

Just sucks that Jaguar wants you to spend over $50,000 to get Red or Blue seats with the V6 car.

IMO the V6 should come standard with the R-Sport package, make leather optional but give you the sport seats in the cool color ways. MSRP $47,000 (super undercut the 335i). Leave the Incontrol Pro and leather and other options are pricey extras. Would be a no brainer purchase.

For myself, If I get an XE (depends on residuals, and % off msrp compared to competitors - I won't be paying an extra $100-200 a month to drive an XE over a BMW) It will be the Prestige in Italian Racing Red w/ black interior. Even then, sucks that they couldn't put the mood lighting and wood veneers in the Premium model.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Residuals in the UK are predicted to be better than BMW/Audi/MB. I doubt you will get that much discount, JLR can sell more XEs than they can make.

I have undoubtedly paid more for mine than the equivalent BMW etc etc, but it will be nothing like the equivalent of $100 or $200 pm. Judging by the prices have seen on the UK and US configurators, you seem to be able to buy cars a lot cheaper than in the UK.

Either way, it is totally worth it. If I wanted a cheap car I would have bought a Nissan.

QwikCat (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 06:16 PM

We're still awaiting residuals in the US, but typical Jaguar residuals in the U.S are not very favorable.

Compare the 2016 XF premium, with a current residual of 54% on a 39 month lease to the BMW 5 series with a (last i checked in december) 63% residual.

Also depends on the interest rate Jaguar pushes for the car (I hear Chase is the preferred lender in the U.S).

Still, very easy for an XE to come out much more expensive than a 3 series, even if the XE stickers for less, because of a unfavorable residual and middling interest rate.

Its not about wanting a cheap car (in which case BMW 320i for $250 a month, or my GFs IS250 (fully loaded) for $300 a month are no brainers) its about understanding the key factors in the purchase process and applying those to make a logical decision.

Having already driven the XE-S in the guise I would want, I can confirm its marginally better than my current BMW 328i. Should both cars come out evenly in the lease #s, I would have to take the Jag . However, I'm not sure I would be willing to pay > 10% monthly to get the Jaguar over the BMW (I rate the jag at 10% better than my current car).

Of course by no means am i trying to predict the future or make a early verdict. My fondest wish is to get an XE (and then a F-Pace or the next gen Evoque). Im just a skeptic and the XF #s don't encourage me.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFleetingFox
We're still awaiting residuals in the US, but typical Jaguar residuals in the U.S are not very favorable.

Compare the 2016 XF premium, with a current residual of 54% on a 39 month lease to the BMW 5 series with a (last i checked in december) 63% residual.

Also depends on the interest rate Jaguar pushes for the car (I hear Chase is the preferred lender in the U.S).

Still, very easy for an XE to come out much more expensive than a 3 series, even if the XE stickers for less, because of a unfavorable residual and middling interest rate.

Its not about wanting a cheap car (in which case BMW 320i for $250 a month, or my GFs IS250 (fully loaded) for $300 a month are no brainers) its about understanding the key factors in the purchase process and applying those to make a logical decision.

Having already driven the XE-S in the guise I would want, I can confirm its marginally better than my current BMW 328i. Should both cars come out evenly in the lease #s, I would have to take the Jag . However, I'm not sure I would be willing to pay > 10% monthly to get the Jaguar over the BMW (I rate the jag at 10% better than my current car).

Of course by no means am i trying to predict the future or make a early verdict. My fondest wish is to get an XE (and then a F-Pace or the next gen Evoque). Im just a skeptic and the XF #s don't encourage me.
Wow . . . this is a painfully clinical analysis, albeit exceedingly rational. It seems to me that the joy of being an auto enthusiast requires being a little less rational and acquiring the car pleases you the most, budget allowing. I wouldn't blink at paying 10% more for a car I liked better.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow . . . this is a painfully clinical analysis, albeit exceedingly rational. It seems to me that the joy of being an auto enthusiast requires being a little less rational and acquiring the car pleases you the most, budget allowing. I wouldn't blink at paying 10% more for a car I liked better.
I would agree, but then again this is a category of car meant more for the everyman than the "real" auto enthusiast.

Also helps that the car I am leaning towards as my fallback has been the king of the segment for the previous 20 years (3 series may have gotten a bit dull, but its still much sharper then the other comparable cars from Germany).

You don't buy an F-type because it makes financial sense. But you should consider the financial sense of the XE against its competition.

I love sneakers, and Im willing to pay for them, but knowing that the $500 sneakers I want will go on sale for $150 if I'm patient enough. It makes good financial sense to wait. And then I can buy two pairs for less than the price of one . I love cars, and I'm willing to pay for them, but knowing the car that I like slightly better is much more expensive - it makes good financial sense to go with the better deal unless the emotional value outweighs the financial sensibility (For myself, I try to weigh how much I like something vs. how much more it costs. Example: If A is $50 and B is $55, it makes good sense to buy A unless I like B at least 10% more).

My enthusiast purchase will be an lightly used F-Type R or similar lightly used Vantage GT (thank you ULM lessees for the like-new car that you paid nearly half of for me! ).

Anyways, I think we are taking the thread way off topic, so might be a good time to turn back.

But good talking with y'all and feel free to PM anytime just to chat (or hear about my craziest deal scores :P).

Old 01-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

I pay $750 a month for a six year old used car that I drive about 8k miles a year and is depreciating faster than anything I've ever owned. Definitely not a rational purchase.

But easy to rationalize when I get to see it looking so beautiful from afar, walking up to it and the door opens for ME, sliding into a cabin of soft, high quality leather and standing on over 500 wheel hp, hearing V8 exhaust and supercharger whine all the way.

If you view a car as an appliance, something that takes you from A to B, 10% is tangible. And I pity you. If your car is an extension of yourself, something you can live through and get life from, 10% is such a trivial amount that it doesn't even matter.

In other words, buy with your heart, not your calculator

bdboyle (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I pay $750 a month for a six year old used car that I drive about 8k miles a year and is depreciating faster than anything I've ever owned. Definitely not a rational purchase.

But easy to rationalize when I get to see it looking so beautiful from afar, walking up to it and the door opens for ME, sliding into a cabin of soft, high quality leather and standing on over 500 wheel hp, hearing V8 exhaust and supercharger whine all the way.

If you view a car as an appliance, something that takes you from A to B, 10% is tangible. And I pity you. If your car is an extension of yourself, something you can live through and get life from, 10% is such a trivial amount that it doesn't even matter.

In other words, buy with your heart, not your calculator
I'm ok with your last statement. So much else is rational...work, life in general, relationships, tax bill. If you derive enjoyment from owning a Jag (of whatever vintage/style)...and are able to afford it...why the heck not?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Back on track, did you pick up the car for the extended test drive?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. Drove it for work yesterday and enjoyed it. Went to get some burritos this morning and learned a bit more about handling (took a 90 right at 30 and no push at all). Going to take a LONG drive tomorrow out in the country to see about it's true sporting capabilities.

Liking it so far. I just have to remind myself this car would be $30K less than my XFR and to judge is at such (using my G35 as the reference for most things).

JimC64 (01-09-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Tried out the nav. It is pretty good though I dont use nav a lot so I'm not demanding. Input is pretty quick going in the order of state - town - street. Give you heaps of warning before turns. Pretty accurate though it came off to a rocky start when it told me to get into the wrong street to exit our estate.

The arrows pop up on the dash and on the HUD as well. Didnt seem to be any lag. It is a lot better than the XF was, plenty more information available. Tells you what side the destination is. Probably on a par with the volvo nav system, but the input through a touch screen is easier.

But I actually have found something with the car that should be changed. I parked it in the sun yesterday and after an hour or two when we came back the rotary gear selector was so hot I couldnt touch it, and it stayed very hot for the next 15 minutes. When I say I couldnt touch it, I'm not being prissy - you could have fried an egg on it and I had to turn it with a towel. More surprising since the dial had retracted, so it must have been heat transferring through the exposed bit. Anyway, not a huge issue, but something to be wary of, and not something I've had with the other cars.
Hi Bruce,
I agree, I like the Info layout. I like the hard buttons on the side. How big do you want the screen? On music source you can use USB ,Phone etc. I know the 2017 Pro is bigger ,but with a bigger option cost. I am happy with the Meridian system we get standard in Australia.
Love the car went the " back way" to the Gippsland Lakes with some winding roads.Love the handling with no compromise on the ride. I can now see why the Motoring Journalists loved the car so much.
Now had a chance to have a good look at build and finish and feel it is excellent.
Robert

Quick Reply: Upcoming Extended Test Drive 1/4 to 1/11