XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

VAP Stage 3 Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 10:33 PM
CSL
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default VAP Stage 3 Impressions

So I bought the 58mm supercharger pulley back in July 2022... as you can imagine life happens and you put certain projects on the back burner. Here we are about 1.5 years later and I finally decided to get it done.

The process was extremely easy (which kinda goes against the typical notion of the supercharger pulley being a pain). I followed Chris' recommendations for install from their YouTube channel and got it installed in under two hours which includes unpacking everything, muscling the old pulley off, waiting for the hub to heat up, cooling it down with compressed air, re-assembly, flashing tune, sharing a couple beers with my dad, etc.

In case anyone is looking to DIY the pulley, here's what I used:
  • Pulley puller from Amazon:
    Amazon Amazon
  • VAP's pulley install tool
  • IR Thermometer and generic 1000W hotplate for getting hub to temp
  • Air from my compressor to bring temps down
  • Blue Loctite, Torque screwdriver
Before this pulley I was running a 1461 belt which fit the car fine (Crank pulley already on) with the tensioner not fully maxed out (close but no rubbing at all). After install I tried the 1485 XL belt and got bad squeak which got progressively worse when accelerating. Put the 1461 back on and all is good.

Immediate impressions from the butt dyno-- the car feels more lively and responsive, especially down low. Car feels like it pulls consistently through 7K plus (I have TCU tune). Here are Dragy testing results (0-60mph, verified, all times including 1ft rollout, AWD) since I got the car:

-Stock: 4.89 seconds
-Stage 1: 4.33 seconds
-Stage 2: 4.14 seconds

All of these were on the stock Pirelli P7 all-season tires. I'm running Pilot Sport 4s tires now and will do some Dragy runs for Stage 3 with the 58mm pulley. If I can make my way down to Mexico I'll test 1/4 mile times, too. Maybe I'll be able to sneak under 4 seconds to 60, if not I'm sure the e85 tune will do the trick.

Should've tackled this earlier but glad I got around to it. I'm trying to squeeze a few more years out of the XE before I move on to another car-- Stage 3 and maybe the e85 tune will definitely keep me entertained.

I've been running the crank pulley since Dec 2019 (27K miles). Now I'm at 64K miles and have had zero issues. Great stuff as always from the guys at Velocity AP.

Last edited by CSL; 02-26-2024 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DJS (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSL
So I bought the 58mm supercharger pulley back in July 2022... as you can imagine life happens and you put certain projects on the back burner. Here were about 1.5 years later and I finally decided to get it done.

The process was extremely easy (which kinda goes against the typical notion of the supercharger pulley being a pain). I followed Chris' recommendations for install from their YouTube channel and got it installed in under two hours which includes unpacking everything, muscling the old pulley off, waiting for the hub to hear up, cooling it down with compressed air, re-assembly, flashing tune, sharing a couple beers with my dad, etc.

In case anyone is looking to DIY the pulley, here's what I used:Before this pulley I was running a 1461 belt which fit the car fine (Crank pulley already on) with the tensioner not fully maxed out (close but no rubbing at all). After install I tried the 1485 XL belt and got bad squeak which got progressively worse when accelerating. Put the 1461 back on and all is good.

Immediate impressions from the butt dyno-- the car feels more lively and responsive, especially down low. Car feels like it pulls consistently through 7K plus (I have TCU tune). Here are Dragy testing results (0-60mph, verified, all times including 1ft rollout, AWD) since I got the car:

-Stock: 4.89 seconds
-Stage 1: 4.33 seconds
-Stage 2: 4.14 seconds

All of these were on the stock Pirelli P7 all-season tires. I'm running Pilot Sport 4s tires now and will do some Dragy runs for Stage 3 with the 58mm pulley. If I can make my way down to Mexico I'll test 1/4 mile times, too. Maybe I'll be able to sneak under 4 seconds to 60, if not I'm sure the e85 tune will do the trick.

Should've tackled this earlier but glad I got around to it. I'm trying to squeeze a few more years out of the XE before I move on to another car-- Stage 3 and maybe the e85 tune will definitely keep me entertained.

I've been running the crank pulley since Dec 2019 (27K miles). Now I'm at 64K miles and have had zero issues. Great stuff as always from the guys at Velocity AP.
So you're at stage 2 right, pulley and tune?

I only did the tune with mine and I'm very happy with the results, I will do an exhaust later this year because the XE is too quiet from the factory.

Old 02-26-2024, 10:09 AM
CSL

I'm now stage 3 (dual pulley + tune). Completely different car from just a tune, definitely worth it!

Re: sound-- I currently have the Mina Gallery intakes which give the crazy loud supercharger whine. It's been fun but I'm going back to stock airboxes and giving that a shot again.

I do have the VAP exhaust (sport sound level) and it sounds great. Nice and deep, though I do have some slight drone around 2-2.5k RPM. Noticeable but I can live with it.

I have tried the resonator delete (that pairs well with the VAP exhaust) and also had the mid-muffler/resonator changed to an X-Pipe and that made the car stupid loud and raspy; immediately had the shop put it back.

Last edited by CSL; 02-26-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by CSL
I'm now stage 3 (dual pulley + tune). Completely different car from just a tune, definitely worth it!

Re: sound-- I currently have the Mina Gallery intakes which give the crazy loud supercharger whine. It's been fun but I'm going back to stock airboxes and giving that a shot again.

I do have the VAP exhaust (sport sound level) and it sounds great. Nice and deep, though I do have some slight drone around 2-2.5k RPM. Noticeable but I can live with it.

I have tried the resonator delete (that pairs well with the VAP exhaust) and also had the mid-muffler/resonator changed to an X-Pipe and that made the car stupid loud and raspy; immediately had the shop put it back.

Is that the VAP Exhaust you have on your car?

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...g-sound-level/

It says "touring sound level" on the VAP site, but you mentioned yours is "sport sound level"?

I wonder if there are 2 different models, I don't want any drone.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:15 AM
CSL

That's the right exhaust-- I had to request Sport sound level specifically. Touring would be a bit quieter from what I understand.

The following users liked this post:
Mazen Ajouz (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CSL
That's the right exhaust-- I had to request Sport sound level specifically. Touring would be a bit quieter from what I understand.
I wonder if the touring level would have less drone that the sport one. VAP claims that their exhaust was engineered to have no drone.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:17 AM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

I would not remove any of the resonators. I removed the rear resonators on my Pace 35t trying to get the S sound and while louder, the pitch is too high and doesn’t sound that great. I had an ‘09 XF 4.2 that I simply removed the mufflers and hung Magnaflow’s in their place. Perfect sound. It’s what I plan to do with my XE.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I would not remove any of the resonators. I removed the rear resonators on my Pace 35t trying to get the S sound and while louder, the pitch is too high and doesn’t sound that great. I had an ‘09 XF 4.2 that I simply removed the mufflers and hung Magnaflow’s in their place. Perfect sound. It’s what I plan to do with my XE.
I checked the Magnaflow website, it doesn't look like they have an exhaust for the XE.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:31 PM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

True, no direct replacement but the local muffler shop can figure out what will fit. Including retaining the factory tips.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:40 PM

I'm intrigued by this valvetronic exhaust for the XE:

https://www.mabtuning.com/products/2...42653103882404

The company is based in Australia, but they do ship to the US.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

CSL, did you ever see how your 0-60 is with stage 3????