XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

VIN check and vehicle specification

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VIN check and vehicle specification

Sorry for the one more new topic, but I have few questions...

I'm in process of checking one Jaguar XE (2016) that I would like to buy, so I'm trying to collect all useful information that I can before paying for car inspection by official service.

I have tried to use VIN Decoder here at forum (I know that it actually gives some general car info, but enough for now), but I'm getting following message: "We could not find any information for VIN SAJAB4...".
What I'm doing wrong? Why VIN is not recognized?
VIN number that I entered is 100% good, as I just got service history from the official dealer here in Serbia.

Also, as we talking about service history, it's not good at all, it exists just till middle of 2017 year and no records after that.
So, this is probably not a good purchase at all, but I saw this car personally and it's beautiful, looks perfect with initial inspection (body and engine), with very good trim and wonderful glacier white color.

Btw, I also tried to get so called Vehicle Specification from my dealer (as suggested in my other topic here at forum), but they basically didn't know about what I'm talking (i.e. after initial phone call, they send me just service history, that I also can obtain myself online, from Online Service History)?! So, I sent them another request by e-mail, with exact details about such report, so I'm waiting to see will they fulfill what I need (of course, I know for legal restrictions in giving such information, but seller has no problem with that and it's willing to help by asking for report in my name).

Last edited by stojan.jovic; 05-13-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Try this https://monroneylabels.com
It just gives you a copy of the window sticker but it also has a lot of information e.g. specifications and packages. You do have to pay a small amount for it.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:47 AM

Thank you very much, @Jagged Wire.

I checked that site and it lists my VIN as 1986 Jaguar. So, probably it's not the info that I need.
Also, at one other site I also got information for some old Jag... Is it possible that JLR reuses VINs for their vehicles?

And of course, it's not problem for me if I need to pay for this info, but just to get something about this car.

Btw, tomorrow I'm driving car to official dealer for inspection by their technician and I will ask for Vehicle Specification one more time (btw, they ignored my previous e-mail with request for this information, very unprofessional).

Old 05-21-2021, 07:18 PM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

If you're getting information for an '86 then the VIN you have is for an '86. There is no way to reuse VINs. If you can see the car again just look at the vin. It will be in a few places, make sure they match. Take a picture and then try looking it up again.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

A 2016 car should have a "preparation of r sale" inspection and service before sale, then get its first service in 2018, then 2020, assuming it is not getting to 21k miles (33.6 kms). If the service was in 2017, then the car must have done 32-34 kms in the first year. What kms are on the car now ?

The servicing interval for diesel engined XEs is every 21,000 miles (33.6 kms), or 2 years whichever comes first. So for a low mileage car, the next service after 2017 would be 2019, but if the car has been sitting around in the motor trade and doing no miles, then no services will have been done. If the car is at an official Jaguar agent, they will do a check and service on selling the car and a warranty. Also, some times a service can be done by an independent garage and cannot be entered to the Jaguar system because they have no access to it. If this is a Jaguar main agent, they should be offering you at least 2 years warranty. Of course the situation may be different in Serbia to here in England.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:54 AM

Sorry for the late response, was pretty busy these days with car inspection.

Car has ~91.000 km now, first service has been done at around 32.000 (after exactly one year). And that's all about official service history.
It's not sold by official Jaguar agent, instead, it's some independent reseller of used cars (imported mostly from Italy and Germany). No warranty on such cars, unfortunately (current law doesn't protect buyer here). However, all kinds of inspections are possible before buying.
I checked whatever I can, I did test drive and car looks pretty good. I got some discount for these items that needs additional attention/repair, so we will see... Car is bought! Still waiting on registration, but once when I complete these administrative stuff, I will introduce car in appropriate section of this forum.

Originally Posted by garethashenden
If you're getting information for an '86 then the VIN you have is for an '86. There is no way to reuse VINs. If you can see the car again just look at the vin. It will be in a few places, make sure they match. Take a picture and then try looking it up again.
VIN is 100% good (confirmed by using it at Jaguar Owner Information page for getting car's service history). Problem is in these 3rd party sites, their database is not up-to-date, obviously. However, it's strange that it listing some other, very old car under the valid VIN for the new car (I would expect to simply not find anything).

Now when car is in my ownership, I will request Vehicle Specification from official dealer.

However, still wondering why Jaguar VIN Decoder here at forum does not working for my car!?