XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Voice prompts in XE navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 11:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This turn-by-turn when you press Information doesn't come up on my 2015 car - looks like the same display

What I find really frustrating is that once you are traveling / navigating you can't get a full overview, and see exactly which way she's taking you. The same when there's an alternative route because of local traffic on a long journey - it just shows the complete route, not the alternative

Or perhaps it's just me?

Old 04-19-2023, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice prompts in XE navigation

Hi again NewLester de Rocin,
Thank you for your detailed response. The answers to your questions are below:-
1. I will try your suggestion of selecting each of the English language options later and report back.
2. I bought my XE secondhand at 2 years old (late 2017) and it is a UK market model.
3. My car DOES have the removable Map SD-Card but I have not attempted to update it.
4. No InTouch PRO infotainment system (see 3 above).
5. Map has never been updated.
6. Never updated or indication to say that the software has been automatically updated.

I did have a friendly independent mechanic run a diagnostics check to see if he could find any faults or reset the infotainment system but found nothing and couldn't reset.
I will let you know how I get on with the first suggestion.
Many thanks,
Radger56

Old 04-19-2023, 11:38 AM
Default Answers to questions re sat nav voice prompts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
UUUUGH, are you joking?! I love my SatNav, but every five months or so I'll stumble onto some new feature or option that was sitting there staring me in the face for years, making me feel like absolute yard rubbish for brains.
It really is a crime that Jaguar put such a seemingly thorough Nav package into the car...and didn't show us in-depth how to operate the elaborate thing! And that was in 2015 through 2019. The new 3rd party provider Jaguar purchased the SatNav package from currently has a SatNav with nearly none of the granular map visuals, no options about how more or less aggressive you want your re-routing to be, and no confirmation whether the other features like "Live Traffic" are even working.
If yours was bought in 2015 (marketed as a 2016 model car?), you may be getting the MAP updated on your removable SD Card, or getting an automatic update over-the-air signal from Jaguar's provider.

Something that some owners on one of the UK Jaguar forums found out by accident was ODD, but apparently true: Your "voice guidance" is directly linked (and limited) to the license code of whatever MAP is feeding your car's SatNav. Example, my car was delivered for use in the US, so of course the map on my SD card will show me any darn place in North America, and the voice guidance will guide me there. But it's not a map that includes Central America or Brazil, even though technically there are ferries that can shuttle my car over the gap of water so I can drive down there if I want. With no South American map on the SD, if I choose a Brazilian language for my voice guidance, the car will say "No guidance available". If I want guidance to the Burger King restaurant three blocks away, right here on my North American MAP, the car won't be able to set a route on the map... simply because I've selected a Brazil voice.

Before you take it to the Jaguar service dealer, here's ONE experiment (that you may already have done), and SIX questions:

FIRST, just on a chance----Try selecting EVERY selection the car refers to as "English-___", and do a test Nav drive with each one. It may be just a mis-labeling that's wrongly giving you the Polish accent-English, when the text says it should be delivering the English-UK voice. You might discover where the original English tone voice was swapped to. My Jaguar has as many as THREE "English" voice guidance options, but because of the explanation above,
I can't ever even get classic English-UK voice to guide me me anywhere, not in a US-market Jaguar--I'd have to copy a UK-license European map on my SD card.

--Did you buy your (US market?) Jag new or from a previous owner?
--Does your car have the removable Map SD-Card, that many of us owners like to update at home and not pay the dealer to do it?
--Does the car have the InTouch PRO infotainment system, that apparently is map-updated by a process called 'software-over-the-air', without any actions or decisions from YOU (and NO SD card to remove from the cubby console)?
--Have you updated that Map recently? (Or has your screen said "Congratulations, we have just updated your software successfully!")?
--If YOU updated your Map recently, did you do it through the authorized (and expensive) Jaguar SatNav website?
--OR, do you know if your Service Dealer decided your Map was outdated, and decided to do you a courtesy and updated the SD-card map without worrying to notify you?

Let us know the answers.
All these questions aim at the same possibility, that your Map was recently updated (or replaced) with a map that doesn't have the perfectly right license code to match your car (or at least to match the marketing region your car was originally made for).
I don't think the service dealer will try to investigate this kind of issue. I suspect hearing the wrong accent in the software is something so intimate to being an OWNER that a busy mechanic won't even care to find the cause, unless it's already a famous glitch Jaguar's been logging in their database.
SatNav is technically "infotainment-unit" as far as the mechanics are concerned, so when you take it to the service dealer, he's likely to just "reboot the unit's software" (which can clear the Nav problem, but lead to tone/base problems with your speakers, etc). They may also go through the Map update process for you (....errr, for a labor fee somewhere in there).

So you have the right idea---if you can drill down and pinpoint the problem's cause yourself, you'll serve as a better investigator than your mechanic.
hi again. Hope I’m replying in the right place (apologies but I’m new here).
i again NewLester de Rocin,
1. I will tried your suggestion of selecting each of the English language options l but I’m afraid it made no difference. I get no voice prompts when selecting ENGLISH(Indian) or ENGLISH(US) and when I switch back to ENGLISH(UK) I am still getting a foreign language (possibly Polish).
2. I bought my XE secondhand at 2 years old (late 2017) and it is a UK market model.
3. My car DOES have the removable Map SD-Card but I have not attempted to update it.
6. Never updated or indication to say that the software has been automatically updated.

I did have a friendly independent mechanic run a diagnostics check to see if he could find any faults or reset the infotainment system but found nothing and couldn't reset.

Many thanks,
Radger56

Old 07-07-2024, 02:45 PM
Default Same problem funny language

Originally Posted by radger56
hi again. Hope I’m replying in the right place (apologies but I’m new here).
i again NewLester de Rocin,
1. I will tried your suggestion of selecting each of the English language options l but I’m afraid it made no difference. I get no voice prompts when selecting ENGLISH(Indian) or ENGLISH(US) and when I switch back to ENGLISH(UK) I am still getting a foreign language (possibly Polish).

Many thanks,
Radger56
Did you find the solution?
My Dad has the same problem- language set to englighU, all text is in English, maps work ok but the audio guidance is speaking some strange language with an English accent.
The car has only recently been purchased and was missing the sd card at first. I wonder if the vendor has given him a dodgy foreign sd card..

Old 07-07-2024, 04:11 PM
Default Strange language spoken from sat nav

Originally Posted by Rag3jag
Did you find the solution?
My Dad has the same problem- language set to englighU, all text is in English, maps work ok but the audio guidance is speaking some strange language with an English accent.
The car has only recently been purchased and was missing the sd card at first. I wonder if the vendor has given him a dodgy foreign sd card..
Hi Ragjag3,

The problem with the strange English language mysteriously went away after about 9 months. I had given up on ever finding a solution and had turned down the audio volume. Then one day I just happened to turn the volume up and Voila ! Back to English and been fine ever since. Sorry if that doesn’t really help much.