XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What happened to British Racing Green?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to British Racing Green?

Dropped the car off for service at the dealer and found myself with a little time on my hands. Reading through the 2018 pamphlets it dawned on me that you cannot get an XE in British Racing Green. It's just not an option. It just seems wrong that a Jag cannot be ordered in the one color that is synonymous with British motorsports. I get that this is a business, and they are trying to sell cars by making them available in a desirable color palette, but this just doesn't feel right to me.

Mark

Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Do they have another green available? The last few iterations of BRG Jaguar offered did not seem so traditional looking to me.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Nope. No green at all in the XE lineup. One of the subtle upsell tricks seems to be seriously limiting color selection for the base models but even the highest option package for the XE has like 5 different shades of gray and/or silver but no green.

And, yes, I know what you mean about the current version of BRG. Very dark and heavy on the multicolor metalflake. But, BRG was never really a standardized color..more of a general description. I recall seeing Jags from different years from the 60s and 70s that were painted British Racing Green but were actually quite different.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Wasn’t a very big seller at all so it was dropped. You can still order other models in BRG.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Jaguar in BRG is sacrosanct. I think they should all have the option. I would not have bought my 17 XE if it were not available (I'm don't think). All manufactures mix up and alternate color palettes, so I assume it will be back sometime in the future. Now if it starts to disappear from all models, I'll be worried.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Fully agree with all the comments here.

Jaguar reportedly made a bold and daring risk with this new (2016/2017) XE. It was the Jaguar that was going to try to snag younger drivers and get away from the (ole guard?) British stereotypes that Jaguar thought might be holding back sales…
It was going to try to snag modern drivers in countries way outside of England (who might be so modern, they haven't followed Jaguar's racing rallies history, and don't give a darn about some dark green go-cart winning the trophy with mud on the driver's goggles)…

Modern drivers are still trending on silver/ white/ black/ grey colors, even today in 2018.
The numbers of drivers who remember Bullit driving his dark-green muscle car, and wanting to pay homage to him with a BRG XE… are dwindling.

…I bought mine in BRG because I remember riding in my neighbor's emerald green econo car, and green has always had multiple levels of meaning to me.
And the fact that the green XE didn't sell much here in the US, makes me privileged. The compliments I'm getting NOW are "I've seen the Jaguars before, but never in such a nice color---nice car, fella!" or "Now, THAT'S a cool looking car. I like the color too!"

Prospective drivers have realized the color too late. Now, it's all ours and no one else's. We are Masters of the World.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:11 PM
Default What is a Real Close Match to British Racing Green in Acrlyic Enamel ?

Originally Posted by 2Jagbeachbums
Dropped the car off for service at the dealer and found myself with a little time on my hands. Reading through the 2018 pamphlets it dawned on me that you cannot get an XE in British Racing Green. It's just not an option. It just seems wrong that a Jag cannot be ordered in the one color that is synonymous with British motorsports. I get that this is a business, and they are trying to sell cars by making them available in a desirable color palette, but this just doesn't feel right to me.

Mark
I seek a close match to the British Racing Green in the inexpensive Acrylic Enamel with a Hardner and no metallic additives and no clear coats..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
C.A.Bosco
Richmond, Virginia ( USA)
boscolini69@gmail.com

Old 04-12-2021, 07:35 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

It seems quite a few people think of green cars as "unlucky". I like green myself but the last green car I had was a trouble to sell because of the "unlucky" tag. This may explain the unpopularity of green

Old 04-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Default British Racing Green is Not Obscene You Know What I Mean !!

I want to honor the English paint chemist who came up with the eye catching green color .
Putting it on a restoration of my 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe P-20 4 Door Sedan with 80,951 original mileage .
VAJA = Vintage Automobile Joint Admiration.
Just a friendly gesture from across the North Atlantic pond ,so to speak

Last edited by GGG; 04-13-2021 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Remove multiple emojis - they lock the post!