XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What HP/exhaust upgrades has everyone been doing? velocity AP or cheaper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What HP/exhaust upgrades has everyone been doing? velocity AP or cheaper?

So I saw that one a long time ago. and frankly for just a metal pulley and a belt 1000 is ****ING REDICULOUS. I saw this one: https://www.paramount-performance.co...121112312.html

Hell, the ecu one is even worse lol.

for 250 pounds. what ever that is in USD. lol.

Surely there cant be any difference?

what HP increasing and Sound increasing mods have you guys done?

thanks,

Old 04-05-2021, 11:13 PM
CSL
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The link you shared is for a supercharger pulley-- Velocity AP typically sells the crank pulley for the XE.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CSL
The link you shared is for a supercharger pulley-- Velocity AP typically sells the crank pulley for the XE.
even still, I know there was a few cheaper options out here I think/ in either case, a crank pulley doesn't cost 1000 bucks. period. a replacement one would be like 20 bucks from autozero. so a performance one shouldn't be more than a 100 or so

MAYBE even 500 if you wanna say a massive premium for RnD or pay for the HP or what ever BS. but 1000 is bull **** lol.

paramounts performance has one but it also comes with a intercooler as well that is upgraded. still wants too much if you ask me. just wondered what everyone here was using. so far seems like nothing lol

Last edited by NavyGuy; 04-06-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Overall, I think the response has been very positive to VelocityAP products delivering what they say (I think there was one post that was not impressed with the results that I can recall). I will likely do their tune but not the pulley but am waiting for their Black Friday sale and my warranty to expire (in August).

My concern with all of this has been one of delivery of gains and support, which many of the cheaper alternatives fall down on (if you look at their ratings). I offered to throw good money at my dealership to give me the 400 tune, and they turned me down, so if I need more, this is the route I will go.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Maaan, I'm in for this too. I agree with @NavyGuy (I was Navy too). Coming from the VAG world, the prices on modding these Jags is jaw-dropping at the least. I understand that the mod market for Jags is nowhere what the VAG market offers, and I don't discount the quality of VAP's products (just off of forum testimonials, I don't personally own any) or the gains that come with them. But the costs are still quite high.

For example, Revo is regarded as one of the more expensive options for tuning Audis. On the A4 you can get a Revo tune for $499 with modest gains of 55hp, which is ~$9.07/hp. BMS provides the JB4 tune for a 340i for $479 with modest gains up to 100hp on a stock car, which is ~$4.79/hp. The VAP tune brings ~75hp from the 340hp base for $995, which is ~$13.26/hp, for a 3-4yr old car...

I bought three different tunes for my A4, all ~$300, and paid ~$150 for a tune on my 335xi (~$400 for stg3 TCU, stg 1 ECU, and TX Case tune). Again, I know the mod market for VAGs is more accommodating, but the price ranges and performance of the A4 and 335/340 is comparable to the 35t...so it's like comparing green apples to red apples.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by lifted.n.lowered
Maaan, I'm in for this too. I agree with @NavyGuy (I was Navy too). Coming from the VAG world, the prices on modding these Jags is jaw-dropping at the least. I understand that the mod market for Jags is nowhere what the VAG market offers, and I don't discount the quality of VAP's products (just off of forum testimonials, I don't personally own any) or the gains that come with them. But the costs are still quite high.

For example, Revo is regarded as one of the more expensive options for tuning Audis. On the A4 you can get a Revo tune for $499 with modest gains of 55hp, which is ~$9.07/hp. BMS provides the JB4 tune for a 340i for $479 with modest gains up to 100hp on a stock car, which is ~$4.79/hp. The VAP tune brings ~75hp from the 340hp base for $995, which is ~$13.26/hp, for a 3-4yr old car...

I bought three different tunes for my A4, all ~$300, and paid ~$150 for a tune on my 335xi (~$400 for stg3 TCU, stg 1 ECU, and TX Case tune). Again, I know the mod market for VAGs is more accommodating, but the price ranges and performance of the A4 and 335/340 is comparable to the 35t...so it's like comparing green apples to red apples.

honestly with the dimensions any machine shop with a 6 axis cnc should be able to knock out a nice billet allum one. no need for these cheap metal ones. I bet I could one made for a few hundred. granted I would not be as confident though. :/

Have half a mind to buy one of VAP, copy the dimension but change the design. and have them made much cheaper and sell them lol.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by NavyGuy
honestly with the dimensions any machine shop with a 6 axis cnc should be able to knock out a nice billet allum one.
This. But you also need a larger belt.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Old 04-06-2021, 12:46 PM

This. But you also need a larger belt.
you get ANY size belt from ANY hardware store.

that is why I said I would get the one they have. frankly would not even need it. simple geometric math to get you the right RPM in the charger to the same RPM or little more or less. then that would tell you the new belt size. add the tune. which frankly any dyno shop dyno tune would be better than a one size fits all one any way. PLUS allows you to take advantage of any exhaust and air addons. which I may do.

TBH I think I will do this. 1000 bucks for a pulley and belt is ****ing asininely ridiculous period. Most things charge a certain mark up beyond what it costs. even double or triple is probably fine. but I KNOW it cannot cost them more than 100 bucks a unit if that. even including Engineering time. I work in engineering (sales though) and see it all the time. a simple thing like this would not have so much R&D behind it that it needs to have a cost that high. lol

I know plenty have bought the VAP one. mainly because they 1) didnt have any other options 2) just dont know better or 3) didnt care etc. I feel there is no reason to buy that from them? piece of mind or not. tbh i am not sure how devastating it would be to have a SC pulley break. not the same as a timing chain so maybe it would just lose boost and run rich til it stalls or something. if loosing psi from a sc is not that harmless then I would prob do it and not care if I had to replace it every 1000 miles. esp if I can make em for 50 bucks a pop. (and 10 for a belt)

other versions of the same thing have radiators they come with and some belt tensioners as well. still up there in price but I feel that would be a much better value than the VAP one?

Old 04-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by NavyGuy
you get ANY size belt from ANY hardware store ... but I feel that would be a much better value than the VAP one?
I mean, I don't think you're wrong. I agree that the prices seem extremely high, and I suspect it's because the limited number of vendors have cornered the market and the volume of demand for jags isn't enough to entice more vendors.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that a billet aluminum wheel could be cnc'd, and I don't expect there's anything exciting about the belt being used. I've done component deletes/changes in different vehicles and, as you said, it's literally just measuring for another belt size.

I'm a little weary to assume that VAP's (and other vendors') prices aren't reasonably justified, but I'm definitely open to whatever we can figure out. I've reached out to two tuners so far; one responded with $1k quote as he'd have to start from scratch (clearly he doesn't anticipate using this as an opportunity to create a new sellable product), haven't yet heard from the second.

I truly think that the XE mod market could rival the VAG market, but since Jag has expressed full electric conversion (by 2025 I believe), any new mod vendors would be fighting an uphill battle for ICE vehicles at this point in the game.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:03 PM
CSL

I don't disagree that it is an expensive purchase. Though I did purchase the car with intent of tuning it and knew what options I had available. The crank pulley/tune is more expensive compared to the setup in a B8/8.5 S4 or S5, then again the XE is a much lower volume car. The N54 and N55's have always had strong gains even from a simple JB4, but those are turbo. Back in the day I had a G35 and making power on that was EXPENSIVE lol.

It may seem ridiculous to some to pay that amount to go from ~340hp -> 450hp. I, for one, think that the XE's MSRP is ridiculous for the quality of the interior and features that you get. Even the thought that a Jaguar could have a trim level that doesn't include Xenon headlights, proximity unlocking doors, and has a body kit that is less aggressive than a modern Altima seems ridiculous.

Depreciation, however, can be a wonderful thing and made the price of the XE (cost of power mods considered) a reasonable package.

At the end of the day it is all relative-- certain cars are much cheaper and easier to mod. The new Jaguar interiors look great, but to @lifted.n.lowered 's point, Jag has no interest in ICE cars. This is obvious by the lack of engine options in the new XF/XE/F-Pace. I have no interest in a 2L Ingenium that I may be able to tune from 300hp to 340hp, regardless of price.

I am very happy with my current XE's setup. Power is great, car looks good. Great to drive. But unless I decide to move to an F-Type and they keep the AJ133 going a while, this will be my last Jag.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by CSL
I don't disagree that it is an expensive purchase ... But unless I decide to move to an F-Type and they keep the AJ133 going a while, this will be my last Jag.
Great points. And tuning any NA is expensive relative to the gains, haha. Always love the way the g35/37s sound though.

Wouldn't count on the AJ133 being around past 2025 though. Motor Trend and BBC (and maaaaany more) recently covered Jag's transition to a full electric line. But don't worry, Porsche will only be ~80% by 2030, and I read that they're actually working ICE designs that will rival electric efficiency. And with breakthroughs like the DIY adapting of Koenigsegg's freevalve tech into a Miata, I don't think the ICE industry is going down any time soon, at least not without a fight.

/electricrant

Depreciation on euros is great, and I really play into that. I traded my lifted '14 JKU with 150% more miles, even swap for the Jag, both valued at ~$30k. When you slap $2k on top to make it a 450hp car, it's not that bad. However, I personally think that a 110hp gain should be in the ballpark of $1k, and for $2k should be about FBO. So that's my goal. Without compromising quality or integrity, of course. And mainly because I'd rather save my tuning budget for the clownshoe...

Also, I received a great response from the folks who tuned my Audi several times. They're already starting to look into tuning the Jag for me. More details to come; I don't wanna jinx it.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Keep in mind that VAP typically has a Black Friday sale around Thanksgiving, typically 25% off most things.

Also, you get good support from VAP. They figured out some engines have a slightly different idler configuration and required a slightly different belt length. (This was on the F-type forum, don’t recall if it was V6, V8 or both.) Some setups require a single-sided belt, some require double-sided.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Yep, I bought and applied the VAP tune but I used a Eurotoys crank pulley not the VAP one coz it was a LOT cheaper at the time (on sale and around half the price) and pretty much identical as far as I could tell.
Great service from Eurotoys as well, they initially sent me the wrong pulley and belt but swapped them out for the correct ones free of charge, they even reimbursed me the postage cost to return the incorrect items to them.
Been on for some four years now and zero problems with either the parts or the tune.
As others have mentioned the VAP prices are a little steep but you are paying extra for comprehensive and on-going R&D and brilliant after-sales support.

The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (05-05-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
Keep in mind that VAP ... Some setups require a single-sided belt, some require double-sided.
You right, I think there are benefits that come from VAP with their pricing that may not be evident with other brands/vendors. And BF is just after my warranty expires, so... :-)

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, I bought and applied the VAP tune but I used a Eurotoys crank pulley...
That's great, thanks for the feedback. The name Eurotoys makes me think of some JDM ebay store, so I'm glad to hear they're quality folks. And that their crank pulley has treated you well.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The name Eurotoys makes me think of some JDM ebay store
It sounds like a type,of store on the darker side of the Internet

But for the same product the price is much more reasonable and may require me to make a purchase...

lifted.n.lowered (04-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks like Eurotoys is $800 for the lower pulley and VelocityAP is $950, but if they run their black Friday sale it would likely be 25% off or $712.50. So VelocityAP might be the less expensive solution. Depends if you can wait a little while....

Old 04-12-2021, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Shopping for a cheapest tune is not unlike shopping for a cheapest criminal defense lawyer - if you don't pick right, the downside is very substantial.

CSL (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by OldGuy1
Depends if you can wait a little while....
I'm more of an instant gratification kinda guy, lol. And I like to have my cake and eat it.

While I understand (and support) the need for sales prices vs regular prices, here's an interesting thought: Tesla doesn't give their sales folks (and presumably all other employees) discounts to buy a Tesla because their model is: if they could afford to sell their products at a discounted price to employees, then they should be selling their products to consumers for less than they currently are. [Source: A credible Tesla salesman.]

The reason I bring that up is that every business has different values and different stakeholders, and each of those factors will dictate (or at the least influence) how a company justifies their pricing and what they use their profits for. Personally I am not a fan of regular and planned "sales" (like Black Friday) because I think it highlights and fuels the nastiest parts of consumerism from both the supply and demand sides.

Originally Posted by SinF
Shopping for a cheapest tune is not unlike shopping for a cheapest criminal defense lawyer - if you don't pick right, the downside is very substantial.
Sure, but I think this is the root of your statement: if you don't pick right, the downside is very substantial. Picking the right product for anything is imperative. However, an increase in price does not always correlate with an increase in quality, especially when the market is extremely limited like XE tuning is.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:55 PM
CSL

More expensive does not necessarily mean better, of course. There are many situations where going with a more affordable option makes sense (whether it's equal quality for less, or lesser quality for savings). In this case, however, you know what you're getting from the Velocity AP tune from community feedback. The reliability, performance it delivers, and after-sale support is well-documented throughout the forum (from what I gather mostly positive, including my own experience).

If one feels comfortable with another option that's a few hundred less, or if you trust a local tuner and they know their way around a JLR ECU then that's the ideal situation; Competition is always great! But if that is not the case, a few hundred dollars is not worth a blown engine.

Most of us know the risks with modding and the increased wear and tear on our cars. It's all about a balance between your desired gains, risk tolerance, and who can help you get there.

lifted.n.lowered (04-13-2021)

Quick Reply: What HP/exhaust upgrades has everyone been doing? velocity AP or cheaper?