XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Where does the water go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Where does the water go?

I've noticed since I leased the XE, that it never seemed to leave a puddle of water after running the A/C
Every other car I have owned with A/C always left a puddle of condensate.

Do Jag have a different system.? Are all XE's like this, or is mine leaking where it shouldn't?. The A/C works well and definitely removes moisture from the cabin.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,311 Likes on 902 Posts

The Jags tend to have a tray under the engine which collects stuff. I have seen the condensate come out on the sloped driveway, but I cant recall having seen it under the car when parked on a level surface. My guess is that the water sits in the tray until it is dried off or comes out on a slope.

Which leads me to a little anecdote. When I had my first XF it was serviced and a few days later my wife messaged me at work to say there was a lot of fluid on our sloped driveway. I went to the car in the basement and saw a trail of oil leading to the car, and actually I could see it on the road outside. It was like something out of the roadrunner and Coyote. So I went off to Jag, it ends up that they hadnt tightened some bolt so over the course of a few days the oil had leaked into the tray under the engine, and I was none the wiser until it was deep enough to spill out when the car was on a slope and leave the incriminating trail. They had to put nearly 5 litres of oil in, embarrassment much.

So that under-tray holds plenty of fluid, which is where I reckon your condensate is going.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Daf11e (07-24-2019), keith100 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 AM
Received 4,068 Likes on 2,917 Posts

Shame the old 74' XJ didn't come with one......I could just empty it every few days!!

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (07-24-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The Jags tend to have a tray under the engine which collects stuff. I have seen the condensate come out on the sloped driveway, but I cant recall having seen it under the car when parked on a level surface. My guess is that the water sits in the tray until it is dried off or comes out on a slope.

Which leads me to a little anecdote. When I had my first XF it was serviced and a few days later my wife messaged me at work to say there was a lot of fluid on our sloped driveway. I went to the car in the basement and saw a trail of oil leading to the car, and actually I could see it on the road outside. It was like something out of the roadrunner and Coyote. So I went off to Jag, it ends up that they hadnt tightened some bolt so over the course of a few days the oil had leaked into the tray under the engine, and I was none the wiser until it was deep enough to spill out when the car was on a slope and leave the incriminating trail. They had to put nearly 5 litres of oil in, embarrassment much.

So that under-tray holds plenty of fluid, which is where I reckon your condensate is going.
I believe you could be right. I know there is an undertray, but I never thought about it holding the condensate.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

A friend bought a Ferrari California and parked it in my driveway. He drove off at night and I see a little puddle in the driveway. I touched, smelled, and tasted liquid to see what it was. I thought it was water (wasn't oil or radiator fluid or would not have tasted it), but wasn't so sure. I told him the same and he was all nervous thinking of what it could be... Ended up just being water from the AC.

Brilliant car by the way. All the reviews that make it sound like it's not a proper Ferrari are rubbish. Totally sensory experience.