XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Whine or Gear noise going straight or turning right, not left

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whine or Gear noise going straight or turning right, not left

About a month ago I started to hear what I thought was the super charger getting louder, or possibly tire wear noise / road noise. As I tried to diagnose, listen closer what I found was the noise is speed and direction related. I changed the tires, and the noise is still there. At low speed its barely noticeable, at 45 to 65 mph its loud, at +75 mph its quieter but still there. I hear it straight or turning right but when I turn left it kind of goes away / gets quieter. When I had the tires changed they didn't notice any play in the rotors, hubs, etc. and the alignment was fine.

I've tried searching to see what it might be but haven't seen any results that made sense. I thought maybe power steering but it's all electric and I don't know much about non hydraulic systems? Doesn't seem to be a wheel bearing? Possibly CV joint? any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this issue?

Old 06-05-2024, 08:12 PM
Received 374 Likes on 221 Posts

Left front wheel bearing. As you turn left, the body of the car rolls right, reducing the force on the left front bearing. So the noise goes away, or at least reduces. This is the classic symptoms of a failing wheel bearing. My front right was showing similar symptoms and replacing it fixed the issue.

Its not a cheap job unfortunately. The front bearing is integral to the hub and not available separately.

Old 06-06-2024, 06:30 AM

OK, it makes sense, and I saw this in other searches, but the tire shop didn't seem to think there were any obvious issues. when I search for the XE I do get a bearing available, but you're saying a will have to replace the hub? I am not finding the hub assembly available in general CarParts searches. I've replaced hubs before, is it a common part and I'm looking in the wrong places?

Old 06-07-2024, 09:14 PM

At least for my '17, the only front bearings that are available are whole hubs from the dealer. If you can find them elsewhere, let me know!

Old 06-08-2024, 12:37 PM

I checked all the usual parts suppliers and sort of saw the same thing. There's a place on ebay selling the hub, claims it fits, I'm going to order one and see. It seems ridiculous that you have to buy that whole piece for +$400 from a jag parts place. There seems to be zero cross reference but I have seen where it might be the same part as the XF and that hub can be purchased for under $60. Anyone know if there os a good parts cross reference out there?

Says hub fits? Anyone else know?

Old 06-09-2024, 09:06 AM

Is your car RWD or AWD? The hub in the image is for a RWD car, there's no splined hole for the axle shaft.

Old 06-10-2024, 03:03 PM

yeah, I don't know if the picture is accurate or not, I've reached out to the seller, Sometimes its just a stock type photo. I also saw a lot of bearing options for rear bearings and none for front. Anyone know what's so special that you can't press a new bearing into the hub? Why is it that whole assembly? Anyone on here that has doen this replacement themselves?

Old 06-15-2024, 08:04 PM

Yes, that was not the correct part, so still looking, trying to source something not 400 to 800 USD which seems ridiculous, but I had the wheel off today looking at issues and if I'm being honest there isn't any play in the hub and it seems like it isn't the wheel bearing, although everyone here and elsewhere says it must be. I'm wondering if it could be the CV axel, shaft, there seems to be more play there than i would expect, I did not inspect for grease, but wondering if I should look there, or other places. It visually and mechanically just doesn't seem like the wheel bearing, and if I replace it and it doesn't fix it, I'm going to be annoyed.

I guess I can always take it in somewhere....

Old 06-16-2024, 01:36 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,443 Posts

I have a nasty front end whine, which I’m afraid is going to be the front differential, as it doesn’t change when I turn, unlike yours.

Old 06-19-2024, 11:08 AM

Part ordered, T2H58425, hub and bearing.
I'll let you know how it goes when it gets here.
I caved and bought the $400 part. fingers crossed.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:17 AM

There are a few other little parts you need too. Bolts and an axle nut I think?

Old 06-24-2024, 09:03 AM

Yes, when changing a wheel bearing the axle nut and the hub bolts are recommended to be changed. What annoys me about this whole thing is that the wheel bearing doesn't look particularly special or unique, and the same part for 1000 other cars is like $40 to $100. But this is a "special order" for $400 or more.

Took 8 hours because the rotor was seized to the hub and the hub was seized to the CV shaft. Lots of banging, heating, lubrication and swearing. Broke the 5 ton puller, had to use a 7 ton to get the hub off the shaft. Literally had the wheel, caliper and other ancillary bolts out in 25 mins, put the whole thing back together in under an hour. 6 and a half hours to get the rotor and hub off. I'm sure it was from the excessive heat / friction, etc. of the worn bearing. Externally it looks ok, albeit rusty. I may press it apart or cut it open just to see what makes it so special.

Anyway, job is done, noise is gone, ride is smooth.
Wondering when the right one will go......

Old 06-25-2024, 07:57 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I have a nasty front end whine, which I’m afraid is going to be the front differential, as it doesn’t change when I turn, unlike yours.
Turns out mine is also the front left wheel bearing, though the sound doesn’t change when turning.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:23 AM

Good times, could be the failure is worse on yours? I have to be honest I kept doubting it was the bearing, but I'm a believer now.

are you doing it yourself or taking it in somewhere? I'm interested in what they charge for that.

Old 06-25-2024, 10:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I took it to my local indy. He said the parts network was down yesterday so he couldn’t find what’s available. At first, mine was only audible at highway speeds, but now it’s obvious starting in the 20s MPH.

Old 06-25-2024, 05:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Two weeks ago I had to have my front left wheel bearings replaced after hitting a nasty pothole that turned out to be more like a trench. My local Jag dealer did the repair for around $1179.00 Cdn. In US dollars that would be around $863.00.

The whine went away

Old 06-26-2024, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reference point, I suppose under $1000 USD at a shop is about expected. Especially with the part being so specific.

Lucky you didn't crack a rim. I hit a deep pot hole with my rear right tire and the rim cracked. Right on the bead. Got a temporary repair, fortunately was able to source a matching aftermarket rim for a reasonable price. My brother has a Mercedes with the low profile tires and he's cracked 3 rims and blown the side wall on 2 tires. I told him time to change tire size back to a more conventional tire profile. Glad I don't have that problem.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, when I hit it, the first thought I had was "there goes the rim"... but I was lucky. I still had the snow tires on at the time, which probably saved my bacon. I've now got the low profile summers on... thankfully they properly repaired the trench.... I'm pretty certain I wasn't the only person to complain to the city, as you couldn't avoid the mess they'd made, it went completely across the road from one side to the other...

Good luck with your repair, I'd suspect your US prices should be a bit lower than mine were. Let's hope anyway!

Old 06-27-2024, 10:31 AM

I did it myself, so it was the cost of the parts and a TON of my labor

Old 08-18-2024, 10:34 AM

FYI the right side is now making noise. Part ordered. Post said delivered yesterday but it's nowhere in sight. Anyway. The lifespan appears to be consistent. I'll be doing that one next.

Quick Reply: Whine or Gear noise going straight or turning right, not left