XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:03 AM
Received 115 Likes on 39 Posts
Default XE Battery Replacement

The battery in our 6 year old XE is on it's last legs. With the placement of these batteries and the stop-start system, I'm not sure where to go at the moment. I have a local battery guy or should I let the dealer supply and fit a new one? Cost is not really the issue, I just want it done right. I know it's just a battery, but I have not had cars with so much tech, the battery in the boot or a vehicle with stop-start to consider.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey DB20, the battery management systems in these cars can be a bit of an ongoing headache if there was/is an improper installation done. If cost is not an issue I would take it to the dealer any day over the " Battery guy" just for peace of mind.

Cheers!
Matt

The following users liked this post:
DB20 (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 06:40 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

If you take it to the Battery Guy just make sure that he doesn't absent-mindedly shut the boot (trunk) lid while the battery is disconnected. If he does, they'll be an enormous problem getting the lid open again because JLR (in their wisdom - or because of nickel & dime cost-cutting) didn't see fit to put an emergency key release on the lid!
And that's a reason to replace a battery that is showing signs of failure before it actually fails completely - which can happen to modern batteries seemingly overnight.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrisjp:
DB20 (06-30-2021), petrmj1 (06-30-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the input.

I rang the dealer today and ordered an OE battery. I will have them fit it next week.

Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Default Battery Replacement

Attached is Coventry's take on maintaining your battery. The power management systems in these cars can be temperamental if the voltages are off, throw codes for various subsystems etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar Charging Policy.pdf (825.3 KB, 554 views)
DB20 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 03:14 AM

Yikes, definitely happy to leave it to the dealer then!

Old 07-04-2021, 05:23 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I've found that connecting up a CTEK charger (with AGM compatibility) at intervals to the connection points under the bonnet/hood is sufficient to keep my XE battery in good condition. There is no need to disconnect the battery or remove it from the car as recommended incorrectly in some versions of the JLR owner's manual. JLR's other advice that "only skilled technicians should charge the battery" is contradicted by themselves selling a Jaguar branded CTEK charger as an approved accessory (at about twice the price that CTEK ask for!).
The CTEK cannot overcharge the battery, even if it is left connected, because once the battery gets to full charge the CTEK goes into maintenance mode, applying just sufficient charge to keep the battery fully charged.

DB20 (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
I've found that connecting up a CTEK charger (with AGM compatibility) at intervals to the connection points under the bonnet/hood is sufficient to keep my XE battery in good condition. There is no need to disconnect the battery or remove it from the car as recommended incorrectly in some versions of the JLR owner's manual. JLR's other advice that "only skilled technicians should charge the battery" is contradicted by themselves selling a Jaguar branded CTEK charger as an approved accessory (at about twice the price that CTEK ask for!).
The CTEK cannot overcharge the battery, even if it is left connected, because once the battery gets to full charge the CTEK goes into maintenance mode, applying just sufficient charge to keep the battery fully charged.
Yes, I do exactly that. With a few cars in the stable, having a CTECK is a must.

The cold winter and it's age has caught up to it, charging it on the CTECK is just not doing the job now. Hoping the new battery arrives on Monday.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

An alternative, these Braille batteries will save you 40 Lbs vs our car's oem and large heavy (50lbs) lead battery. Many people may be interested in in a marginal but 24/7 performance and gas mileage improvement. It comes at about $1000.00 though, instead of the $269.00 for the lead acid. But...considering the Lithium Ions last 10 years or longer, you'd have to replace at least 2 of the old style batteries in the same period so the long term total battery costs of each technology works out to be more similar than first glance.

https://motoiq.com/saving-an-easy-35...aille-battery/

Consider this...40lbs weight savings represents 1/100 of your car's weight. If you count gas mileage improvements (say you save 3 cents a gallon), engine wear costs, and braking system costs, it just might be worth it to get a modern lightweight battery instead of the antiquated battery technology of the 50's.

Not to mention the improved handling.....faster acceleration...and shorter braking distance. I noticed the difference after losing 40lbs of dead weight, for sure.

Last edited by Austin7; 07-12-2021 at 11:45 AM.
DB20 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:39 AM

After a bit of a run around, I finally got a new battery in the Jag.

I rang the dealer and asked if they could quote me a price, and to leave me a message as I would be working. The message arrived to advise me a windscreen supplied and fitted would be $2985. Windscreen?! Cue me calling again to say that I was pretty sure I had asked for a battery not a windscreen. Anyway, I was quoted a price and the battery was ordered, with a two day turn around.

Seven days later I was advised the item was in stock and that I could come in any time to have it fitted. Fine, I'll be in tomorrow. I was then phoned an hour later to advise that the they had been sort delivered, the paperwork said it was there but the battery had not been delivered. Another seven days, the battery was finally in stock. So I took it out there today, was told it would be a 15 min process. Try an hour, and because of Covid restrictions, I could not wait inside out of the cold, instead standing outside watching the traffic pass by.

Anyway, all of that now has the big cat cranking like a champion. I was sent a PDF of the battery change procedure that Jaguar techs follow when doing this job, not a simple new for old process. That is why I paid for the dealer to do, and endured the clunky customer service. If something go's wrong, it's on them.

Lesson learnt from this, DON'T break a windscreen in a Jaguar XE, it will cost you $3000!

Oh, and the battery was $685!

AZBob (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 06:41 AM

Unfortunate about the dealer. The dealership I use has a lot of staff turnover so you never know whether the service manager you deal with when you call knows what he's about or you get a knucklehead.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Cheers.

DB20 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:42 AM

An alternative, these Braille batteries will save you 40 Lbs vs our car's oem and large heavy (50lbs) lead battery. Many people may be interested in in a marginal but 24/7 performance and gas mileage improvement. It comes at about $1000.00 though, instead of the Dealer's $685.00 for the lead acid. But...considering the Lithium Ions last 10 years or longer, you'd have to replace at least 2 of the old style batteries in the same period so the long term total battery costs are LESS for the more advanced LI-Ion Braille solution over time, and saves marginal brake wear and engine wear over time. (Makes you faster).

Consider this...40lbs weight savings represents 1/100 of your car's weight. If you count gas mileage improvements (say you save 3 cents a gallon), engine wear costs, and braking system costs, it just might be worth it to get a modern lightweight battery instead of the antiquated battery technology of the 50's.

Not to mention the improved handling.....faster acceleration...and shorter braking distance. I noticed the difference after losing 40lbs of dead weight, for sure.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin7
An alternative, these Braille batteries will save you 40 Lbs vs our car's oem and large heavy (50lbs) lead battery. Many people may be interested in in a marginal but 24/7 performance and gas mileage improvement. It comes at about $1000.00 though, instead of the Dealer's $685.00 for the lead acid. But...considering the Lithium Ions last 10 years or longer, you'd have to replace at least 2 of the old style batteries in the same period so the long term total battery costs are LESS for the more advanced LI-Ion Braille solution over time, and saves marginal brake wear and engine wear over time. (Makes you faster).

Which model Braille battery did you get?

Old 07-21-2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by atadaskew
Which model Braille battery did you get?
I think it was the I34X, but I called Braille directly to get the exact model. $1049.00 on their site.

They will also offer you a deal on a good trickle charger, I took it. And ask about further discounts on the battery, I got one just for asking.