XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE handling beyond the limits

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 03:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XE handling beyond the limits

Just curious how the XE responds once cornering limits are exceeded. I have a 2017 XE R-Sport 3.5T AWD and I would like to think I push it hard yet I have never lost traction, slid, experienced understeer or oversteer - it just sticks and that is with all season tires! Evidently the limits are much greater than what I am comfortable exploring but just in case was curious if anyone has experience in what happens once the car breaks loose. Used to have a 1999 911 - great car but wicked when it broke loose.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:49 PM
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the exact same car but with the stage 1 VAP tune. I am always surprised how well-mannered the car is when I push it. The only time I can get it the least bit silly is if I am taking a 90 degree turn at full throttle from a low or no speed. In those circumstances I can get a bit of oversteer and I back off. Besides that, I can drive like an idiot and the car makes me look like I know what I am doing... Enjoy!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by OldGuy1:
aerospaced (08-13-2022), NewLester de Rocin (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 03:37 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a way to experience it. I have a 2017 XE (not the R). The larger and older sport sedans were intended to slip in the rear as a tribute to experiencing their power. The XE just "glues" to the pavement as a tribute to its incredible weight balance and vectoring.
So you do need to voluntarily remove the traction monitoring that is so beautifully trimming your XE as you drive.

I say again.... VOLUNTEER to do this, because quite a few owners have driven the car unaware of how much the car's engineering is giving them the confidence of a track-star and keeping them safe without them knowing. They end up with such confidence in their ability to take those turns, that when they remove some of the safety programming, they end up breaking the car in half against a tree off the expressway.
Go slow, and take the safety-systems off your car in gradual layers, not all at once.

--DSC is a sensitive feature in your car that you can turn-down or turn off (known as TracDSC, and DSC-off). It's one of the finest, stealthiest pieces of computer engineering I've encountered in driving. It tells the car that you would like permission to slip now and then.

--You can also inflate your tires (especially the rears) towards the MAX pressure stated on the sidewall of your tire. This increases the tire's responsiveness, but also encourages the tire to lose some of its contact area on the road.

I strongly recommend you go to TracDSC first, and drive that way for a month or so. Believe me, you have no idea how much that feature in an XE has been silently wondrously keeping you from losing any road contact. Try gradually pushing your car to the extreme. WHEN a slippage happens, the car's programming LET'S you slip for a second or so, then catches and corrects you if it sees that you're not correcting yourself.
If you turn to DSC-off, you have canceled traction monitoring COMPLETELY, and the XE will let you ruin your day.

Any time I've ever slipped my rear wheels in a maneuver, it was when driving a butt-heavy or nose-heavy car. Slipping in an XE for the first time, perhaps because of it's really even weight from nose-to-tail, feels momentarily pukish, like my stomach and head were in disorientation for just a second, and I couldn't be sure just how MUCH the rear was slipping over (which is something you tend to WANT to know, so you can accurately adjust to get out of the slip). That shocked me!
So I didn't like my first experience, LOL, and I am not in a hurry to feel it again. Still, it is a necessary part of truly mastering the car you drive. Now, I'm comfortable driving with TracDSC all the time.
Again I have to warn you, because a lot of owners on the other Jag XE sites have warned US through their bad experiences,... do this only if you are determined to be gradual, and responsible, and patient with your experimenting. The Jaguar XE is a heart-attack.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 08-15-2022 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewLester de Rocin:
aerospaced (08-16-2022), Panthro (09-25-2023)
Old 08-16-2022, 02:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
There is a way to experience it. I have a 2017 XE (not the R). The larger and older sport sedans were intended to slip in the rear as a tribute to experiencing their power. The XE just "glues" to the pavement as a tribute to its incredible weight balance and vectoring.
So you do need to voluntarily remove the traction monitoring that is so beautifully trimming your XE as you drive.

I say again.... VOLUNTEER to do this, because quite a few owners have driven the car unaware of how much the car's engineering is giving them the confidence of a track-star and keeping them safe without them knowing. They end up with such confidence in their ability to take those turns, that when they remove some of the safety programming, they end up breaking the car in half against a tree off the expressway.
Go slow, and take the safety-systems off your car in gradual layers, not all at once.

--DSC is a sensitive feature in your car that you can turn-down or turn off (known as TracDSC, and DSC-off). It's one of the finest, stealthiest pieces of computer engineering I've encountered in driving. It tells the car that you would like permission to slip now and then.

--You can also inflate your tires (especially the rears) towards the MAX pressure stated on the sidewall of your tire. This increases the tire's responsiveness, but also encourages the tire to lose some of its contact area on the road.

I strongly recommend you go to TracDSC first, and drive that way for a month or so. Believe me, you have no idea how much that feature in an XE has been silently wondrously keeping you from losing any road contact. Try gradually pushing your car to the extreme. WHEN a slippage happens, the car's programming LET'S you slip for a second or so, then catches and corrects you if it sees that you're not correcting yourself.
If you turn to DSC-off, you have canceled traction monitoring COMPLETELY, and the XE will let you ruin your day.

Any time I've ever slipped my rear wheels in a maneuver, it was when driving a butt-heavy or nose-heavy car. Slipping in an XE for the first time, perhaps because of it's really even weight from nose-to-tail, feels momentarily pukish, like my stomach and head were in disorientation for just a second, and I couldn't be sure just how MUCH the rear was slipping over (which is something you tend to WANT to know, so you can accurately adjust to get out of the slip). That shocked me!
So I didn't like my first experience, LOL, and I am not in a hurry to feel it again. Still, it is a necessary part of truly mastering the car you drive. Now, I'm comfortable driving with TracDSC all the time.
Again I have to warn you, because a lot of owners on the other Jag XE sites have warned US through their bad experiences,... do this only if you are determined to be gradual, and responsible, and patient with your experimenting. The Jaguar XE is a heart-attack.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention as I overlooked the DSC feature of the car. I guess it is working in the background as I dont see any indicators flashing like I have experienced in the past with other cars when exceeding stability/traction control thresholds. Will pick a safe place to give TracDSC a try to see what happens.