XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE reveal - huge disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

It's interesting going back and looking at what people's reactions were for other modern Jaguar cars. For example, when the X150 XK pictures started coming out in 2005, it was apparently very controversial!

2006 Jaguar XK

I'm just glad the XF (and XE) didn't turn out like this:

Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,886 Likes on 3,193 Posts

Meatbag, the car does look better in person than what you see in the pictures. As for purchasing one, I am looking to go up, not necessarily stay where I am. What I mean by that is I am in the process of looking at either an XFR or an XJL (most likely, granted XK keeps popping up in the mix every now and then) and getting rid of my X-Type. So, it is one of those things that I am looking for a bigger and better product. Am I considering the XE, of course. But, part of my decision is whether I want to wait the additional 18 months or get the XJL/XFR now? I seem to lean more towards the now and getting the bigger/nicer vehicle.

AMCdonal86, as for cup holders, the front has 2 cupholders that are out in plain sight in the center console like you would find in the XJ. As for the rear seat, I do not recall seeing anything back there, but then, I wasn't necessarily looking for them either. I would manage to guess that they have some hidden in a center arm rest or something like that. But, don't quote me on that.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Jeez, what were you guys expecting? - a 4-seat F-type with all the trimmings for $50k? This is a mid-market model; it has to be cost-effective and appeal to a broad audience. So it was never going to be a spacecraft that runs on unicorn farts.

This is the family saloon sector - the standard 3-series and A4 are hardly bleeding-edge design. Make it too 'out there' and you alienate a whole load of potential buyers. I think it's a smart move to evoke the more-expensive XF for the 'halo' effect, and it does that far more effectively than the X-Type evoked the XJ.
I disagree....having both an XJ VDP and an X-Type, I think the correlation was pretty spot on. I'm not complaining though...I like the XF, but I see it as a smaller version of the XJ which to me seems to put the XE properly placed in the strata of the Jaguar stable of cars. Having said that, the XF was not really very exciting to drive, and having been a 3 series fan and driver for many years, the current 3 series I have under lease right now is not all that fun to drive and does not translate the feel and handling of the earlier 3 series models. Can't wait to drive the XE, hopefully in an supercharged R version.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Imagined as a coupe, looks pretty good though I would make the doors a bit larger.

Jaguar XE Sedan Becomes Coupe in PhotoShop

On another note I wonder if the "Q-Type" will launch at the same time as the XE in the US.

SCMike (09-26-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I disagree....having both an XJ VDP and an X-Type, I think the correlation was pretty spot on.
Oh, the shape was a reasonable match - it was just the huge difference in size that I found jarring. It made the X-Type look kind-of 'toy car' alongside the XJ. The XE is closer in size to the XF, so it works better.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Yes - the X-Type is heavily dependent on the design making it look bigger than it really is, externally.. I know this because a few weeks ago I saw an incredibly tatty X-Type with a quite large driver in it, and his arm was hanging out of the open drivers window.. the tattiness and seeing a large arm hanging down outside was enough to visually counter the designed lines that make it look big and I have to admit it looks very small and compact in that light.. but you then look at my X-Type not too tatty and nothing hanging out of a window and it looks medium sized. So yes a slightly larger base model in the lineup I have to admit is a good move..

Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Oh, the shape was a reasonable match - it was just the huge difference in size that I found jarring. It made the X-Type look kind-of 'toy car' alongside the XJ. The XE is closer in size to the XF, so it works better.
I had both at the same time & swapped between them daily...

Front & side presentation was similar, the rear shape not so much in common but both obviously Jags...

Interior similar look, but the X-Type noticeably less roomy than the XJ, especially if you brought the seats forward to try & offer legroom in the rear.

To drive around town I found them similarly comfortable, although the XJ definitely felt "posh-er" than the X-Type.

The wife noticed the (exterior) size difference between the two more than me, she had no concerns about driving/parking the X-Type but was petrified driving the XJR.

Redthing (10-14-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
The live photos, in my eyes just make it look so much better.
Look how low the roof is. Ian is not a tall man. This is one sleek car. Yet with rear seating for two six-footers.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
Yes - the X-Type is heavily dependent on the design making it look bigger than it really is, externally.. I know this because a few weeks ago I saw an incredibly tatty X-Type with a quite large driver in it, and his arm was hanging out of the open drivers window.. the tattiness and seeing a large arm hanging down outside was enough to visually counter the designed lines that make it look big and I have to admit it looks very small and compact in that light.. but you then look at my X-Type not too tatty and nothing hanging out of a window and it looks medium sized. So yes a slightly larger base model in the lineup I have to admit is a good move..
I think the front-wheel drive architecture of the X-Type made it a bit difficult to apply the XJ's big-car styling to it. The front wheels are just a bit too close to the A-pillar and windshield for the look to have been spot on. No such problem at the rear end of X-Type though, where it looks really good.

SteveSheldon (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

.........Interior similar look, but the X-Type noticeably less roomy than the XJ, especially if you brought the seats forward to try & offer legroom in the rear.

To drive around town I found them similarly comfortable, although the XJ definitely felt "posh-er" than the X-Type....."

Most definitely !!!!!

On another tangent...any opinions on the new Infinity Q50???...I found myself next to one the other day on the freeway.....loved the lines and the compactness and actually, to me anyways, made me immediately think of the X Type in terms of design....I'm not to familiar with the brand though.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Look how low the roof is. Ian is not a tall man. This is one sleek car. Yet with rear seating for two six-footers.
I think it looks sleek too, though I want to see it in person in a color that isn't red, never really been a fan. I love the F-Type in white so I'd like to see this in that or Rhodium Silver like my car.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
.........Interior similar look, but the X-Type noticeably less roomy than the XJ, especially if you brought the seats forward to try & offer legroom in the rear.

To drive around town I found them similarly comfortable, although the XJ definitely felt "posh-er" than the X-Type....."

Most definitely !!!!!

On another tangent...any opinions on the new Infinity Q50???...I found myself next to one the other day on the freeway.....loved the lines and the compactness and actually, to me anyways, made me immediately think of the X Type in terms of design....I'm not to familiar with the brand though.
I own 2 Infiniti ...G37S coupe and a EX35 AWD SUV...and a current gen maxima. Great tech in these cars and at a great price. Rides are harsh compared to even my XKRS!! There is a reason I gave my father the G37S free and bought another XKR as my daily... Just sayin...

Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Carscoops has a little poll going on about which is the most desirable compact car.

New Jaguar XE Versus Rivals: Which is the Most Desirable? [w/Poll]

amcdonal86 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Carscoops has a little poll going on about which is the most desirable compact car.

New Jaguar XE Versus Rivals: Which is the Most Desirable? [w/Poll]

Until now, the C-Class Merc was most appealing to me. But now that there's to be a Jaguar in the running, that's it decided: I'll have an XE please.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,555 Likes on 8,279 Posts

Just voted..XE..766 votes..C class..763...I obviously voted for the XE..

Old 09-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

I think Jaguar really has something going for it with this XE. I wonder what the X-Type would've fared in the same poll when it first came out.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I like it, wifee really likes it but....

interior shows no wood at all. To me a Jaguar must have some wood inside its part of its heritage. But of course they showed the R version. Cant wait to see it in person.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Did the Series I etype have wood trim?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
interior shows no wood at all. To me a Jaguar must have some wood inside its part of its heritage. But of course they showed the R version. Cant wait to see it in person.
By that rationale all the modern Jags that have veneers in Carbon Fiber, Knurled Aluminium or Piano Black finish aren't real Jags?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It Looks like another 'X' Type. There is something "uninspiring" about the look ?, but good for mass market appeal.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 09-14-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: XE reveal - huge disappointment