XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Xe won't lock and fuel filler solenoid clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xe won't lock and fuel filler solenoid clicking

I can see at least one other person has had this issue, but alas no published remedy (They took it to the dealer who fixed it and gave it back, thats all they know)
Car was perfect, then we had snow and ice which may or may not be relevant. Next day, still icy, I went to unlock the car and noticed there were no flashing indicators to advise it was being unlocked - Nothing happened again when I pressed to lock. Anyway, jumped in, started and drove off - after about a minute I heard a clicking noise, about 5 clicks, which sounded like it was coming from the boot - I now know it was in fact the Fuel Filler Solenoid releaser. - a minute later, the same noise. Anyway, that noise is now going every minute day and night. The car can't be locked with remote key, or the App, or the buttons inside the car. All that you can hear operating is the ignition steering lock working. The car starts and runs as normal. I've plugged in a Carsoft V1 Jaguar specific tester and that at least is reporting no faults found/ No codes recorded. IOnside the fuel filler flap I can see the hole where the locking pin for the lock would protude when activated, but there is nothing evident. Even if you have not had this issue, It would be helpful if you have an XE to let me know if the pin does pop out when you operate your locking with the flap open.

If you have got/had this problem I'd love to know what sorted it?

Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I’d start by putting your battery on a charger. There have been a number of strange symptoms reported on the F-type forum that have been cured by charging the battery. Particularly when there’s weird electrical stuff happening.

The following users liked this post:
jhaguar (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:23 AM

I'll give it a try - thanks

Old 02-11-2021, 12:07 PM

Ok Resolved so by way of closing off the link - I do hate it when it comes to no resolution - The clicking of the solenoid for the fuel filler cap was just an indication, not the problem - as indeed so was the missing pin for the fuel flap a red herring, for all I know that was broken off yonks ago. All I did was disconnect the battery and left the car for an hour - I then reconnected it and everything operated as normal again. A simple reset was all it took.

Along the way I've scuffed up my hands getting through a tiny grommet in the boot to get to the back of the fuel flap locking devices so I've got a lot of work to do rebuilding carpet etc I've removed, but at least I can do it with a big grin on my face haha

Ps - The slightly longer story is that I disconnected the battery and then shut the boot - Big mistake as on the XE there is not an emergency keyway lon the boot lid (like the XF has). So, I had to open the bonnet and attach power to the jump lead stem on the fuse box and an earth point - Fortunately that powered up the boot lock and I got in, but I was worried - my Portfolio doesnt have split fold rear seats, how mental is that? It was an "Extra", its previous owner shelled out for a panoramic sunroof and some wheels but that was it. The list of stuff this doesnt have is possibly as long as the stuff it does have ie no power fold mirrors - how 1970's is that?

The following users liked this post:
DJS (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:39 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, the absence of a mechanical key method of opening the XE's boot from outside is a rather serious (and pretty incomprehensible) design error for a car which has the battery in the boot.
It also means that if you carry a portable jump-start battery in the car, you can't carry it in the boot since it will be impossible to get to if the battery fails (and modern batteries tend to fail suddenly with no warning in my experience).
Even if you have folding rear seats these do not allow access to the boot from inside the car, because the seat back release cables are only accessible with the boot lid raised...!
There is a small pull down hatch in the middle of the rear seat which allows you to reach into the boot a little bit, but you'd need very long arms to actually get hold of anything.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:46 PM

Indeed - Yes I had an XF which had pull cables to open the back up but as you say they were in the boot only. - God I miss that car, the Mk1 XF was probably the best car I ever owned - I had it 8 years and hardly anything went wrong with it. Lucky by all accounts, but speak as you find and all that..They do get it right sometimes at Jaguar eh

Old 02-11-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I’d start by putting your battery on a charger. There have been a number of strange symptoms reported on the F-type forum that have been cured by charging the battery. Particularly when there’s weird electrical stuff happening.
Thanks again for your suggestion - Certainly got me on the right track

Old 05-08-2021, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I agree with this. Our department's fire engine has lots of fly by wire. Guys were driving down the road and it threw itself in reverse, air horns stuck open, a few warning lights came on...after being towed to the shop at great expense, it was the batteries. Specifically one battery. The tow and diagnostics cost more than buying new batteries for it every year since we purchased it.