XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 (Naturally Aspirated)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 (Naturally Aspirated)

Hello,

I am hoping the forum can help me and other future Jaguar owners. I am the new owner of a 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0. I bought it at the auction as a “non-runner.” I never buy non-runners but in this case I saw that the car was a repossession and that it was listed at the auction with “no keys.”

When I went to go pick up the car I originally brought a tow dolly, come to find out that the parking brake/emergency brake is engaged and the neutral safety release lever would not work..at all. I end up leaving the car at auction to come back with a flat bed trailer.

After I get it home to where I can work on seeing what’s wrong with it in my driveway, I notice that the key is still in the key hole. I’m assuming the auction guys did not see this and must have over looked it since the passenger fuse box was already opened. (Probably to pop the hood to access the battery).
Before I even had to go through the process of getting the trunk open, I luckily found that key.

Now, with a brand new battery the car will not start or crank but just turn on with all the accessories. Every time I try to start it, I hear a click. I assume that it is the starter, but I start looking up all of the symptoms with the phrase “2012 Jaguar XF no start/no crank.” The results have pointed me into a direction of getting a new electronic gear box selector. The selector came in the mail today, installed it in about 30 min. No go.

On the other hand, I did release the parking brake (I think). This occurred when I pushed the parking brake button and held it for a couple of seconds. I tried starting it again and still “CLICK”. I then get a gearbox fault/parking brake fault and all of those juicy errors on the screen that no one wants to see.

I guess it might be the starter? I just figured it would have something to do with the parking brake or anything else other than the starter that would have to do with the transmission or something along those lines. My next step is to actually check the starter.

I know it seems like I’m answering my own questions here, but if someone knows anything about this issue I am having that would be wonderful. Also, I’ve never touched nor sat in a Jaguar before so if someone could point me to the best way to access the starter that would be very helpful. If I get any replies to this I would be happy to post a video/pictures. Also you can message me or text me (630)-234-2572. I will of course be posting solutions and all diagnoses for this issue.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Try the simple things first:
1. Stand on the brake pedal as hard as you physically can and try to start the car. This has worked for me on both my old XFS and XFR when I had the same symptoms (electrical power but just a faint click when attempting to start).
2. Check the brake pedal switch (on the back of the brake pedal), it might not be working. Cheap enough to get a new one but a little difficult to get at to replace.
3. Get a decent OBDII code reader and see what you find.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Try the simple things first:
1. Stand on the brake pedal as hard as you physically can and try to start the car. This has worked for me on both my old XFS and XFR when I had the same symptoms (electrical power but just a faint click when attempting to start).
2. Check the brake pedal switch (on the back of the brake pedal), it might not be working. Cheap enough to get a new one but a little difficult to get at to replace.
3. Get a decent OBDII code reader and see what you find.

Thank you for the speedy response! I will try this today. What OBDII code reader do you recommend? I used a cheap one and then I also used my x100 Pad2 still nothing came up on diagnostics. I will provide update when I perform this action.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Do you really need that BMW ? After all, everybody's got one, haven't they. I'll bet the Jaguar is the only one for miles.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Thank you for the speedy response! I will try this today. What OBDII code reader do you recommend? I used a cheap one and then I also used my x100 Pad2 still nothing came up on diagnostics. I will provide update when I perform this action.
I use an iCarsoft LR V2.0, works great and does all sorts of nifty things.
But it works only on modern Jags and Land/Range Rovers.
It's reasonably priced but you can spend a fair bit more and get a much more sophisticated device which works on most cars, Autel make a range eg: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333660505269

Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 PM

Thank you for the link. I will get that after a few paychecks.
Here is what I figured out today. I replaced the brake pedal switch (pain in the butt, had to remove driver side footwell panel). While I was down there trying to look where the switch was located, I saw a plug that was not plugged in, it is attached to the OBDII wires with what looks to be a white rubber band around it (See pictures). I took note of this. I proceeded to button things up a bit so that way I could try to start it up. Still nothing. After this, I went to the trunk to put the charger on the battery. This time, I saw a plug (the same way I described with the first one but this time it was a bigger plug and it was attached to the neutral terminal cable to the car. (See pictures), I also found this plastic/rubber tube laying under the spare tire. If any one knows what this tube does/is, please share your thoughts (See Pictures.) I am thinking it might be the starter now or a fuse/relay? I already checked the fuses but I could of skipped over one and I did not check any of the relays. Can I ask where the starter would be located and the best way to access it? (Sorry for being a noob, not really the handiest of car guys. I try though.)

Old 03-05-2022, 03:14 PM
Default What happened?

What eventually happened? I have a similar story. I bought a cheap 5.0 naturally aspirated no start.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a thought - Did you try to turn the engine by hand (Crank pulley etc) - I hope not but engine could be seized - aka - cooling system failure or timing chain issue.