XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 Jag XF Cheapened!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want a luxurious interior just get a lexus ES, seriously they are so nice on the inside and like 15-20k cheaper!

But yeah, maybe in terms of looks the XF might not compare to an E class or 5 series but it more than makes up for it once you actually turn it on and drive it (: the brand new E Class feels like you're driving a boat.. but I guess you have nice shiny wood to look at?

A fairer comparison for the XF is probably the Maserati Ghibli anyways, which also has a "cheap" looking interior but is meant to be a performance-oriented car.

Besides if you have the Prestige trim, the XF interior blows any other car in its class out of the water when the sun goes down and those ambient lights come on

Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xfgirl
if you want a luxurious interior just get a lexus ES, seriously they are so nice on the inside and like 15-20k cheaper!

But yeah, maybe in terms of looks the XF might not compare to an E class or 5 series but it more than makes up for it once you actually turn it on and drive it (: the brand new E Class feels like you're driving a boat.. but I guess you have nice shiny wood to look at?

A fairer comparison for the XF is probably the Maserati Ghibli anyways, which also has a "cheap" looking interior but is meant to be a performance-oriented car.

Besides if you have the Prestige trim, the XF interior blows any other car in its class out of the water when the sun goes down and those ambient lights come on
Absolutely agree. People will always complain about quality no matter what, but how many complaining actually OWN a new XF? The fit and finish is impeccable, interior is refined yet sporty, (at least in my S model) suspension corners like the car is on rails, and power delivery is spot on with fast shifts and volumes of power immediately available on demand.

Comparing a Jaguar with anything else is rather amusing. If something else is better, buy it. But so many complain just to complain with no personal experience with the current models.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Late to this party but after owning a new XF for a little over a month here's my .02..... I was smitten by the performance, handling, and comfort on my first test drive and nothing has changed since then. To me ALL the manufacturers' interiors have been downgraded in this class. After multiple MB and BMWs I picked the XF based on the driving experience. Isn't that what a car is for? The seats met my comfort criteria, the performance and handling exceeded it. I have low expectations for leather quality as once you run your fingers over it the sensation is gone and the comfort is what matters and the differences are too close for my butt and back to feel. Plastic? Everyone is using it more because it's light, strong, saves money, and the the tactile finishes take away that "cheap" feel and look we all complained about years ago. So I'm a happy camper with my XF and first Jaguar

Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
ALL the manufacturers' interiors have been downgraded in this class. After multiple MB and BMWs I picked the XF based on the driving experience.
I think the new E-Class actually has a very posh upgraded interior. Did you test drive it and not like it??

Old 10-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I think the new E-Class actually has a very posh upgraded interior. Did you test drive it and not like it??
Yes, nice looking interior but too busy for my taste. The Jag's simplicity is more to my liking but they should do something about that aluminum strip
The E performance and handling is sub par to the XF IMHO and my last car was an E350 that was downright uncomfortable. Especially on long trips. The biggest reason was the 4 banger engine and having to wind up the turbos and make noise to get going. Nothing beats a supercharger for a kick in the rear from the start.

The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

The current E300 needs way better engine to really compete in this segment. The interior is great but the engine has no place in 50k car. MB can't get the E400 here soon enough.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pkoko
The current E300 needs way better engine to really compete in this segment. The interior is great but the engine has no place in 50k car. MB can't get the E400 here soon enough.
+1 It's a non starter for many people....like me.

pkoko (10-04-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 11ltdsil
Several weeks ago I visited a Jaguar dealer to see the 2015 XF. The car seemed very comfortable with a large selection of colors and interior combinations, even wood trim choices. very nice and British!!

Now I see the 2016 version and am astounded that this vehicle was released by Jaguar/Tata mangement.
  1. The car now has 17 colors (including three reds), but the interior is devoid of the variety of choices the predecessor had!
  2. The leather choices are down from various seat and roof color combos to just three seat colors.
  3. The wood trim selection is down from three to one!
I understand that the decision makers may have wanted to keep prices down with the addition of all-aluminum construction, but they eliminated the items that set Jaguar apart as a luxuriously-appointed car; its interior.

Rather than change what they did, they could have eliminated those "swing-open air vents" and "rising gear seletor knob," that I felt were tacky to begin with.

Compare this new interior to the MB E-Class; much more wood visible in the MB now. This is opposite to what was the norm.

Wake up Jaguar/Tata! It seems you are trying to compete with Japanese luxury cars now, instead of MB and BMW.

Newsflash: People who buy Japanese luxury cars don't even look at Jaguar!

Stick to your strengths!

Interesting view of the 2016 XF. I viewed and tested it's main competitorsL: E Class MB, A6 Audi,BMW535 and concluded the XF was a superior vehicle in materials quality and overall performance. I have just bought a 2016 Jaguar XF AWD fully loaded in Tenerite Gray Metallic with Light Oyster leather interior. Wood trim is glossy burled walnut which I prefer. I have 19 inch wheels too. It is hard to compare the interiors as I just traded my loaded 2011 528i, a very good car btw. The Jaguar construction and underpinnings are first rate. Just look at the thickness of the doors, the fit and finish. It has great, properly served brakes and the steering is just right and a progressive rack and pinion. I think the quality of the interiors of the competitors is subjective but for me the only interior which LOOKED fancier than the Jaguar was the E Class but the interior was more noticeable for all the wood trim and not much else. It drove like a restrained bathtub--the C Class was worse. I almost bought the A6 but the 340HP 8 spd supercharged XF was too much too much to pass by. Still I do agree that there are not many choices for interior accoutrements such as leather, trim but the quality is excellent IMHO
Cheers
AL

Old 10-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
really late reply but the 2016 has numerous color choices for the interior, three for the wood trim, a choice of the suede headliner in the Luxury Pack and a myriad of exterior colors as well.

Here's my 2016 XF-S

Cool cat. Sporty interior. S model would have killed my Canadian dollar budget so I bought a 2016 XF AWD Prestige model loaded in Tenerite Grey and light Oyster leather. Love it. Enjoy yours too,
AL

Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by pkoko
The interior is still sub-par. I would buy the E-Class over it every day of the week
Well I bypassed the glossy wood everywhere and compare the actual materials and although the E class is somewhat warmer in presentation the instruments, nav, switchgear AND the radio are not at all better. And that 4 cylinder turbo is a slug by comparison although a moderately powerful 6 is available for lots more bucks. I also much preferred the ride and handling of the 2016 XF AWD, which I bought after trying its competitors.

cheers
AL

Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
... I viewed and tested it's main competitorsL:... and concluded the XF was a superior vehicle in materials quality and overall performance......
+1 matches my analysis. However I have to admit that performance and handling are my prime motivators followed closely by comfort and features is last. The balance of comfort and handling is far superior with the XF and the performance is on par at a minimum and exceeding of many unless you go to the next price level.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by nlt624
But how often do old-timers buy a NEW Jaguar? If it was every 3-4years, Jaguar could pander to loyalist. But since it's not, they have to go after new buyers.
This "old timer", whatever that means, just bought a 2016 XF AWD Prestige loaded. I remember driving a 1973 Jaguar RHD LWB 12 cylinder in maroon with lovely beige leather and miles of wood. Oh those days. Sorry young-uns but be happy. This new XF is excellent engineering IMHO
AL

Old 10-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by showstopper9ren
Then buy the E-class. Bye!
Good point. The E Class is a boat and a big one with a nasty 4 cylinder turbo unless you pony up for the 6 and lots of ponies. It still drives like a boat.
AL

Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in quality

Having taken a test drive of the new gen XF 2.0d R-Sport yesterday I have to agree that JLR have undone their good work of the older gen XF. I am driving a 2009 XF Portfolio S but looking to change. My budget is up to £23k and based on the fit and finiah of the new XF it looks like I will go for a 2012 -2013 XJ Portfolio (8sp ZF) rather than a new gen XF. A real shame. Just went on to jaguar.com to build a new XF and the option to replace the fake faux leather seats and dash don't appear to be possible. Surely not ?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugh McNeillie
Having taken a test drive of the new gen XF 2.0d R-Sport yesterday I have to agree that JLR have undone their good work of the older gen XF. I am driving a 2009 XF Portfolio S but looking to change. My budget is up to £23k and based on the fit and finiah of the new XF it looks like I will go for a 2012 -2013 XJ Portfolio (8sp ZF) rather than a new gen XF. A real shame. Just went on to jaguar.com to build a new XF and the option to replace the fake faux leather seats and dash don't appear to be possible. Surely not ?
That's exactly what I did - Had to step up for an XJ, after owning 3 XF's that I greatly enjoyed spending time in. Yes, the new interiors are borderline rubbish

pkoko (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes it's sad Jaguar has abandoned luxury for sport in most of their cars. But luxury was never a traditional Jag thing...It's a British thing but not a Jag thing. It's the smooth sensuous looks and the 'grace, space, pace" that distinguish Jags from other marquees, not the wood-and-leather interior. Apart from the XJ (from Series I to present), all other Jag models had/have a shortage of wood and leather.
Even from the outside, I don't think the new XF saloon is all that pretty. The XF Sportbrake, on the other hand, is a looker.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 AM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

They now claim the prize for the most cheap-hard plastic intensive, uninspiring interiors in the luxury segment.

pkoko (08-09-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by hinckley
Injekter, I think that we're talking about the new (X260) XF which does not have a leather dash, or door panels or the smooth supple/nappa leather that was available on the older (X250) XF. I believe you have the older model with the nicer interior.
Well now, my Canadian model 2016 XF AWD Prestige does have the leather dash and door panels. I notice on some models the stitching I have on the dash but it doesn't look like the faux leather I have which I like actually. BTW I have had many MBs and BMWs and I really prefer the XF overall although I admit the interior isn't as warm as it could be.