XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 XF Prestige - Unknown Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 XF Prestige - Unknown Shut Off

Good day! New poster but have been coming here for the last couple years when I've ran into issues and been able to search and find fixes or ideas. So big thanks to all of you who know your stuff and help those of us who are sometimes clueless.

So I was driving home the other day and in one of those heavy traffic times where folks in one lane were just being slow and not moving with traffic so being in a car that can get up and go when needed, I got up and went. I pinched the gas and car took off as normal but then poof the car shut down. Motor or tranny didn't lock just cut off and very quickly got a message that said something discharged then the battery icon came on. I was going about 30 and accelerated to about 60 so had enough momentum to luckily drift back over into the lane I just left and two more lanes to a parking lot. Steering and brakes all were still working but no gas at all just momentum. Came to a stop and car was like in neutral like state but still in drive. Shifter still raised and car dash etc still on. Put in P and hit the shut off button. Tried to restart and was like it would be if battery was dead. Tried to start but barely had any crank power. Looked at forums and saw many things like battery and alternator. Called my son to come jump me but his little cars battery just wasn't up to the task, so called AAA and sat for 2hrs waiting for a jump. Big fun but gave me more time to review threads and see if anything else could be mentioned because quite frankly never heard of a battery shutting a car off while driving. I did try to start the car again after an hour of sitting thinking maybe something just overheated and needed to reset and it tried to to start but was very weak but at least tried and then drained down. I did happen to have my diagnostic reader in my trunk and threw it on but it didn't find any codes. Seemed like a bigger issue than even an alternator just based on the scenario, as I've had alternators go out in the past and car shuts off but usually when coming to a stop not while in the middle of accelerating at high takeoff speeds. Like some kind of safety or electronic control shut me down or some govt agency JK LOL.

Anyway, AAA showed up and tried jumping but nothing, so had to get it towed to nearest AAA accepted shop. Of course I live in a town where the nearest Jag service is 75miles away and only a few EU shops and one happens to do only Jag and Rover but he's always slammed and not usually able to have time to resolve unless you want to wait around a month or more. Kind of type that gets to it when he gets to it and depending on his mood that day or how complex. So not reliable but knows his stuff. The shop they towed it to ran diagnostic and of course the battery was reading replace and it was rather low and looked like original battery, so I grabbed one went over and replaced it myself. This story is long enough so won't go into that other than to say they want $615 to replace a battery and I though Jag Dealership was high LOL. Got an exact fit battery and replaced and hopped in with hope and alas struck down with barely trying to crank over. Went into shop and let them know that their diagnostic was incorrect but for them to keep looking at next step, as well putting a battery tester on wasn't enough if I still had to pay the $129 diagnostic fee.

Well that's my long winded post but figured instead of a lot of questions back and forth it was better to provide more than less. What I'm looking for is what could this be? Is it just the alternator and if so what should I be looking for on labor hours for a shop to replace. I am more worried as last year a similar thing occurred in my 2011 Buick Enclave and the engine had seized. Gave it gas taking off and it shut down but in that case the power steering and engine and all went down so a little different but scary, as it also gave no indication and just shut off. Is that possible and is there an easy way for me to tell them to check this so not wasting time. Any other things that could just cause it to shut down ???

THANKS
Paul

Old 05-04-2022, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 256 Posts

Sounds like you either have a major short to ground or your ground is faulty and not allowing enough current through to start or run the car. Doubt it's the alternator as a fresh battery wouldn't work. Start by checking the ground cable from the battery to the frame ( and its' connection ...loose bolt?). Good luck, keep us posted.