XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 XF Sportbrake 2. diesel will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 713 Posts
Default 2016 XF Sportbrake 2. diesel will not start.

My wife drove home today and had a warning light on the dash. The DSC light was on. I thought she might have accidently turned the DSC off so I went out to the car and tried to turn it back on but no luck.
I called my local garage to have the car checked and booked it in for the day after tomorrow.
Went out to the car tonight to start it. Depressed the brake and the start button and all sorts of warnings came up on the dash but the car would not turn over. There are some weird clicking noises like the petrol pump was running but no fuel. (Got half a tank so not that). Another sound from the front as if the starter is trying to turn but not engaging with the engine. The emergency brake warning was on. DSC was off. Park brake warning was on.
Turned everything off and there was a constant electrical beeping. Repeated the process of trying to start the car with the same result.
Doors locked and unlocked. Repeated the process same result.
Disconnected the battery and the beeping noise stopped. Reconnected the battery no beeping so tried to start the car but had the same result and the beeping noise comes back on when you switch off.
Now waiting for the RAC to arrive to check the car out.
Could this be something as simple as a faulty battery as I have heard a low battery charge can do all sorts to the electrical system?
Will update as soon as RAC have had a look but would love to know if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

OK so the RAC man came out and was stumped. He tried charging the battery from a set of jump leads to his van but this did not allow us to start the car.
He thought it was an electrical fault but could not find it. He thought the alternator might have seized but it was free.He put a volt meter across the battery and it was showing 12.7 volts but this is not a real indicator of the health of the battery.
I spoke to a mate of mine and we are both under the thought that it is a battery problem as we have just had the coldest night of the year so far with heavy frost and I think one of the batteries has just died. No way of really telling which one so before I start spending £175 an hour at the local main ******* I will fit two new batteries in the morning and see where we go from there.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

This morning I took both batteries to an Auto electrician who tested them. Main battery was fine Aux battery was on the way out so I bought a new one and fitted it. Made no difference.
Now booked the car in to an Indy Jaguar garage for Monday but somehow I have to get the car there. Trying to find a company who can recover the car using a rear lift, (back wheels off the ground) as the car is stuck in park and the electric handbrake is on so cannot use a conventional flat bed or trailer. Luckily the car is parked on the drive with the back towards the road.