XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2017 interior water leak ponts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 07:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2017 interior water leak ponts?

I appear to have an interior water leak on my 2017 XF. Every time it rains the interior windows fog up. Without digging further I can not find any interior water leaks. What are the common points on this car that are known to leak water so I can focus my search there?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-29-2024, 07:54 PM

Update: The rain just stopped. I found water at the rear interior C pillar cover. So, fin antenna on the roof, sunroof drains or the CHMSL. Trunk is dry, carpet is dry. Where do the rear sunroof drains exit? Also, best way to drop the headliner down enough to access the antenna?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by SilverXJ; Yesterday at 03:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverXJ
Update: The rain just stopped. I found water at the rear interior C pillar cover. So, fin antenna on the roof, sunroof drains or the CHMSL. Trunk is dry, carpet is dry. Where do the rear sunroof drains exit? Also, best way to drop the headliner down enough to access the antenna?
If I'm not mistaken, the "antenna" doesn't have a hole in the roof if it's like other roof fin "antennas", it's just glued on (I knocked one off once). Also, I believe the drain holes are in the front corners of the sunroof opening. There has been reports of the drain hole exit tubes being routed incorrectly but that usually causes puddles in the front foot wells. One area that is problematic is the rear door rubber seals with holes that don't line up with the holes in the door so water collects in the door. Open the door and pull the seal away at the bottom and I bet water will run out. Enlarge the hole in the seal.

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
If I'm not mistaken, the "antenna" doesn't have a hole in the roof if it's like other roof fin "antennas",.
The antenna wouldn't be able to connect to the cables with out a through hole.

I've dealt with that issue on my rear passenger door. That was odd to say the least. Opening a door and it sounds like a fish tank. I'm surprised that no water was able to get around the plastic membrane on the door and int the interior when that happened.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

I did find this about a leak from the 3rd brake light: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...42401-9999.pdf

Since I need to take the head liner down I'll replace that part. The antenna does appear to be a bit on the lose side, but the gasket appears to be built in and not a separate item.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

The antenna wouldn't be able to connect to the cables with out a through hole.....
It's not a physical connection antenna. It's more of a 'collector' that then transmits an increased signal through the roof to an amplifier. There's coils at the base. At least that's the way I've seen it on several of them and I don't see why Jaguar would do it any differently. Anyone know for sure with the Jag?.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

There are a few cable connected to the antenna.

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

There are a few cable connected to the antenna.
Or to a signal amplifier? Did you see a hole going through the roof? I'm curious. The 'shark fins' I've seen are flat on the bottom, no holes, I could see coils beneath clear, and they just glued to the roof.

Old Today, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Or to a signal amplifier? Did you see a hole going through the roof? I'm curious. The 'shark fins' I've seen are flat on the bottom, no holes, I could see coils beneath clear, and they just glued to the roof.
It definitely has cables and a through hole in the roof. What vehicle did you have that had a wireless antenna? Every shark fine I've seen had wires going to the antenna. I don't see the 'wireless' ones working well on a metal roof. Maybe glass.

Here are a few images of the XF antenna:
https://www.prestigecarpartsuk.com/p...9-fw9319c089db
https://www.ebay.com/itm/365022667462

Old Today, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

It definitely has cables and a through hole in the roof. What vehicle did you have that had a wireless antenna? Every shark fine I've seen had wires going to the antenna. I don't see the 'wireless' ones working well on a metal roof.....
One was on a MB and the other a BMW. There were no components visible in either one like with the Jag pictures you included, just bare coiled wire under clear silicone. Yes, I would say the XF definitely would have holes in the roof, especially seeing those nuts and bolts! Mine were knocked off by a garage door closing prematurely and the other by some vandals. I assumed all were all like that. Learn something new every day. Find the source of water ingress?