XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2018 Jaguar Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 AM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Has anyone actually seen in person the 2018 Portfolio interior in Sienna Tan? At least on the configurator (not the world's best visualizer), it looks quite handsome (compared to the other choices).

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BCJAG
AH yes. The XJ. Bigger than the XF and so I didn't buy it. Don't forget that the price of the XJ is considerably higher so you should expect more quality and upmarket materials for your money. I do like the XJ. Congratulations. I don't lease so I had to shell out the cash from my retired-guy piggy bank.

cheers
Yes, the XJ is BIG, and it would not have been a consideration, except for the crappy interiors of the new gen. However, I absolutely love the ride quality, old-school Jag interior, handling is very good-it does not feel any heavier (all aluminum) than last gen. XFs, has more comfortable seats, it retains the fantastic Jag hydraulic steering assist-big plus.
People seem to love this car, it's unique, rare, and I'm getting many more compliments than ever before-quite surprising actually.
I got a killer deal, as mine was 2016 leftover that sat on the dealer's lot for 225 days........My lease is basically same as my last XF, within $10/month. MSRP was $16K more than my last XF....

Last edited by yidal8; 06-15-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Yes, the XJ is BIG, and it would not have been a consideration, except for the crappy interiors of the new gen. However, I absolutely love the ride quality, old-school Jag interior, handling is very good-it does not feel any heavier (all aluminum) than last gen. XFs, has more comfortable seats, it retains the fantastic Jag hydraulic steering assist-big plus.
People seem to love this car, it's unique, rare, and I'm getting many more compliments than ever before-quite surprising actually.
I got a killer deal, as mine was 2016 leftover that sat on the dealer's lot for 225 days........My lease is basically same as my last XF, within $10/month. MSRP was $16K more than my last XF....

Well done. I recall the XJ well equipped here is about 120K cdn dlrs plus tax.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I will admit I had a hard time deciding between the XJ R Sport and XF S. I could have gotten either car for about the same price with the same options. Both very good looking cars. Both excellent offerings from Jaguar and should be better sellers than they are.

I ruled out the XJ mainly because of its size. I needed a car my wife could drive occasionally and she did not feel comfortable with the overall dimensions of the XJ. The main reason I originally leaned towards the XJ was because of its luxurious interior, despite starting to feel dated. I ultimately decided on the XF because it is sportier and simply does not feel as large as it is.

Shortly after delivery, I began to doubt my decision, mostly over the interior, because I loved the London tan leather in the XJ. The more I drive the XF, the more I like it and I am happy with my decision. It is a very good car and I will agree its biggest weakness is the interior in comparison to others in its class. To say the XF interior “sucks” is a total exaggeration in my opinion. Could it be better? Yes. Spending time in the car you realize it is a very good overall package and the interior is better than it is made out to be. What car doesn’t have a few limitations?

What would I improve about the XF’s interior? Are you listening Jaguar?

1. Why doesn’t the leather interior smell like leather, as it does in my F-Type?

2. Something about the design of the seats and the stitching don’t make the seats feel like they are premium leather to me. A better grade of leather for the seating and perhaps different design would be an improvement. I think the base Range Rovers have nicer leather and design.

3. On the higher line models, there should have at least been an option for an extended leather interior. Leather door panels, dash etc. (like my F-Type) would have improved this car greatly.

4. Trivial, but the carpet quality, especially in the trunk, is not as good as others in this class.

5. I think Jaguar messed up by not making the configurable interior mood lighting standard (at least in the Prestige, R Sport and S models). Instead, you must purchase the luxury package, which is a rare option, unless special ordered. This is an area where Mercedes shines because the standard mood lighting in my E300 makes the interior feel special, more refined and is impressive. Sadly, most people will never see this feature in the XF, except at the car show.

I don’t have any complaints about the interior layout and design, I like it. It is simply the quality of some materials that I, and I think many people do not perceive as being as good as they should be. Not horrible in any way, but not up to the level of the competition.

As stated before, I like the XF and enjoy driving it. Despite a few shortcomings, I would make the same decision today. I think Jaguar’s choice on a few interior materials may cause some people to look the other way and that is a shame because they are missing out on a very good car.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE As stated before, I like the XF and enjoy driving it. Despite a few shortcomings, I would make the same decision today. I think Jaguar’s choice on a few interior materials may cause some people to look the other way and that is a shame because they are missing out on a very good car.[/QUOTE]

It almost caused me to look the other way after 3 Xfs- that's how bad it is in my view. I hope the XJ is not my last Jag. I see they are offering some kind of Portfolio upgrade on the 2018 XF, but quite pricy. I will check it out.

Last edited by yidal8; 06-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
....Why doesn’t the leather interior smell like leather, as it does in my F-Type?....
The XF is bonded leather, don't know what is in the F-Type. Most leather in cars is bonded which is the lowest end of the spectrum for calling a material leather. It's made of shredded leather.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
The XF is bonded leather, don't know what is in the F-Type. Most leather in cars is bonded which is the lowest end of the spectrum for calling a material leather. It's made of shredded leather.

Some confusion here. The OP mentioned about have leather on dash and the smell of leather.

I don't know what 2018 is offering. My 2016 has stitched leather(dash) on Prestige Model(Canada) and Taurus leather(?) seats, perforated for heat/cold useage. It reminds me of the Dakota leather of my previous BMW528i. It seems durable. My back doesn't get sore as I have adjustable lumbar supporters. Is any of this stuff real leather or just a composite. I long for the Connelly leather of days gone by...ah!!

Overall, I find the interior comfortable and the controls, except location of window switches, is fine. The cabin is quiet on the highway so the sound proofing is very good. Like many I simply enjoy the dynamics of a car with an exceptional drivetrain especially the CATS suspension. Met a chap who is a design engineer and worked on the Aston Martin. He praised the XF for ride and handling dynamics.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BCJAG
Some confusion here. The OP mentioned about have leather on dash and the smell of leather......
The dash on the XF is not leather. Only the "seating surfaces" and those are bonded leather.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:50 PM

The dash on the XF is not leather. Only the "seating surfaces" and those are bonded leather.

Hmm. As I suspected. The stitching is fine but it does look faux. Still, it is better than plain plastic stuff one usually gets. As for the seats, a lot of seats are bonded liked the XF but it would have been nice to have REAL leather. I don't know if even BMW used it. I know my Dakota leather was also bonded. Must be a shortage of cows hides!! I do like Nappa leather, if it IS leather.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

The bonded leather has its' advantages. It won't crack, easier to clean, more pliable, and better reaction to heat and cold on your skin. It's hard not to like really good soft grained leather look and feel though but after having both I think it's more in your head. I live in the temperate part of the world where real leather ends up sticking to your skin and taking a long time to cool down. Really good leather adds several thousand $ as well.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 2013 XF Portfolio and loved that car, but when it came time to replace it I was disappointed by the new XF's interior--it didn't feel special to me, I ended up with a Continental Black Label and don't regret my decision. I do still miss my XF but I'm hoping something changes with the interior design, and I'm hoping that the next XJ doesn't mimic the XF, that would be a huge letdown. The Portfolio trim they're offering on the 2018 XE, XF and F-Pace looks to improve the interior a bit but I'm still not sold.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
I had a 2013 XF Portfolio and loved that car, but when it came time to replace it I was disappointed by the new XF's interior--it didn't feel special to me, I ended up with a Continental Black Label and don't regret my decision. I do still miss my XF but I'm hoping something changes with the interior design, and I'm hoping that the next XJ doesn't mimic the XF, that would be a huge letdown. The Portfolio trim they're offering on the 2018 XE, XF and F-Pace looks to improve the interior a bit but I'm still not sold.
Exactly, but I tried hard to stay with Jaguar. So I went for the XJ- looks be the last model left before they screw this one also.......

Old 06-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Exactly, but I tried hard to stay with Jaguar. So I went for the XJ- looks be the last model left before they screw this one also.......
I tried to too--still looking at F-Types now, my nearest dealer was offering killer deals on XJs and I could have snagged one of them too but decided to go with the Lincoln instead. What I don't get is that the interior designs over at Range Rover are carrying on in the same fashion. We'll see what they do with the I-Pace and E-Pace, haven't heard anything lately on the next XJ.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I think you have confused Jaguar's Bond grain leather for "bonded leather". Jaguar always uses real leather with various grains and finishes. And it is now (after the demise of Connelly) Italian leather. Jaguar has always used different qualities of (real) leather for their different models. In the Connelly era, for example, they would use the highest quality "Autolux" leather in the top-line Daimler and Van den Plas models. If Jaguar calls it "leather", it is leather. If it is called and looks like "wood" it is wood (wood veneer, that is, in the tradition of the finest cabinetry). And in the top end models not only the seat surfaces are leather, but the entire seat: seating surfaces, sides, and back (this is the case, for example, in my XK with the "Luxury" full leather interior - where almost everything - seats, door panels, console and dash top and front - is of the highest quality and very soft Italian leather).
In contrast, Mercedes has a very long-wearing seat covering which they call "Artico leather". This is the highest form of misinformation. " Artico leather" is vinyl, pure and simple - very good vinyl, but vinyl. If your eyes are good enough you might be able to read the tiny print at the bottom of the page which explains that this material is man-made.

I should also say perhaps that having been to the Jaguar factory I have watched the hides (yes, natural hides) being inspected for imperfections before being sent for cutting.

Last edited by sov211; 06-24-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
I think you have confused Jaguar's Bond grain leather for "bonded leather". Jaguar always uses real leather with various grains and finishes. And it is now (after the demise of Connelly) Italian leather. Jaguar has always used different qualities of (real) leather for their different models. In the Connelly era, for example, they would use the highest quality "Autolux" leather in the top-line Daimler and Van den Plas models. If Jaguar calls it "leather", it is leather. .....
BIG discussion on this topic in another forum. "Bonded leather" can be legally referred to as leather (with only 17% real leather fiber) so I don't think there's any intent on Jaguar's part (or any manufacturer for that matter) to deceive. Very few people can tell the difference between the different types. Also the "leather seating surfaces only" disclaimer is often used. So how would you know if you're not an expert? Even bonded leather smells like leather but not the rich leather aroma and you'd have to be aware of the difference. The consensus is if it is called "leather" it is probably bonded otherwise they'd be more than happy to advertise it as top or full grain leather. It is also the consensus that the Connelly leather days were top/full grain leather.

When I was first told my leather was 'bonded' it came as a shock but after doing research I'm OK with it now. As an option...if offered...top/full grain leather adds $5 -$7K+ to the price and not many are willing to add 10% to their purchase price seat covering.

I even wrote Jaguar asking if my year XF had bonded leather. They didn't answer so that tells you something. I'd be interested in seeing more comments on the bonded leather question if there's any experts or knowledgeable forum members.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

BIG discussion on this topic in another forum. "Bonded leather" can be legally referred to as leather (with only 17% real leather fiber) so I don't think there's any intent on Jaguar's part (or any manufacturer for that matter) to deceive. Very few people can tell the difference between the different types. Also the "leather seating surfaces only" disclaimer is often used. .
With respect, you are still confusing "bonded leather" with Bond grain leather. The latter refers to the embossed graining on the leather surface - that is the name Jaguar gives to that particular embossed pattern. The reference to leather seating surfaces on some Jaguars is precisely used to clarify the situation: the (expensive) leather is only on the part your body touches. On the more expensive Jaguar interiors the ENTIRE seat is leather (I feel that I am repeating myself here - perhaps my earlier message was not clear). And the "leather aroma" is a product of the tanning process used; modern regulations do not permit the older and polluting processes used for vat-dyed leathers - and the result is that the traditional aroma is virtually absent, especially in the cars which have only the seating surface in leather, rather than the major part of the interior - but even when the entire interior is leather, the aroma in modern cars is slight.
All modern automotive leather is surface coated with colourant (generally a water based polymer colourant), unlike vat dyed leather which has the colour through the entire thickness.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
With respect, you are still confusing "bonded leather" with Bond grain leather. The latter refers to the embossed graining on the leather surface - that is the name Jaguar gives to that particular embossed pattern. The reference to leather seating surfaces on some Jaguars is precisely used to clarify the situation: the (expensive) leather is only on the part your body touches. On the more expensive Jaguar interiors the ENTIRE seat is leather (I feel that I am repeating myself here - perhaps my earlier message was not clear). .
You appear to be knowledgeable on the subject, care to share your expertise and sources? I claim no/none/nada/zilch expertise but I am inquisitive. Are you saying Jaguar uses good hide and embosses it to look more real? ( "The latter refers to the embossed graining on the leather surface")? Help me understand this. If it was in fact not "bonded" (using the traditional term) why would they even associate their seat covering with something artificial/questionably inferior with their offering? When I inspected my leather (backing and all) it was definitely "bonded" in the modern meaning....that is reconstituted from pieces and not a single piece of hide. I can't answer to other models or years but specifically to mine which was sold as "leather" (seating surfaces). I once owned a 1975 Lancia with leather interior. That was the best looking interior covering of any car I have owned.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I will say this...I have a 2016 Premium and it's the first car I've owned with leatherette...and it's actually not bad at all.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ArnoldKay
I will say this...I have a 2016 Premium and it's the first car I've owned with leatherette...and it's actually not bad at all.
And you have the only XF with leatherette!

Old 06-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

You appear to be knowledgeable on the subject, care to share your expertise and sources? I claim no/none/nada/zilch expertise but I am inquisitive. Are you saying Jaguar uses good hide and embosses it to look more real? ( "The latter refers to the embossed graining on the leather surface")? Help me understand this. If it was in fact not "bonded" (using the traditional term) why would they even associate their seat covering with something artificial/questionably inferior with their offering? When I inspected my leather (backing and all) it was definitely "bonded" in the modern meaning....that is reconstituted from pieces and not a single piece of hide. I can't answer to other models or years but specifically to mine which was sold as "leather" (seating surfaces). I once owned a 1975 Lancia with leather interior. That was the best looking interior covering of any car I have owned.
My expertise, since you ask: ownership of 32 Jaguars, restoration of 21 of them (including the leather), visit to the Jaguar factory, chief judge of JCNA, extensive collection of Jaguar material...
With regard to the leather in the XF specifically, Jaguar (for some model years) refers to "Bond grain leather" - note the capital letter. This not a reference to "bonded leather". They did not associate their seat covering with "something artificial" . Back in the days of Connolly leather (pre-2003), the Vanden Plas XJ cars used leather with two different finishes on the Autolux leather: one embossed (with a grain similar to the the Bond leather) for the pleated areas, and one perfectly smooth for the "yoke" around the pleated area (that is the bolster area of the seat- absolutely beautiful leather).

Last edited by sov211; 06-25-2017 at 05:41 PM.