XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2021 XF - Comments on the ReFresh?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 08:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2021 XF - Comments on the ReFresh?!

I'd like to start a string with info about people's experience with the new MY21 XF

I've had a black over red MY21 XF R-Dynamic since 20-Feb-21. It was the first delivered in the state. In short, Love it. It's a beautiful car and we get asked about it constantly. It's not a dragster, but I'll go against anyone on a windy road. It's quiet compared to BMW 5 series or MB E class, but makes all the right sounds on acceleration. And cost, literally, $15000US less than a similarly equipped BMW or MB. There are some significant bugs in the new infotainment system that they've acknowledged and are working on, but overall, we absolutely love this car. We have a neighbor with a McLaren and another with a 911 Carrera - Both have stopped by to see it. The interior is solid and beautiful. Overall, the most fun car I've owned.

There's another string following the infotainment issues: "Trouble with FY21 XF" if you want more info about that.

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (04-18-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by madaws01
...... It's not a dragster.......
My problem with a 4 cylinder isn't the overall power as multiple turbos seem to coax the ponies out in the upper RPM band. It's the torque at low RPMs and the smoothness of the motor. Response. My wife's BMW is a dual turbo 4 pot and when I drive it I find myself using the performance setting that raises the shift points but then I have to put up with the noise and the hair trigger throttle response when it's "on" turbo. Maybe a supercharged 4 would be more to my liking. I like the interior and exterior facelift changes though. It's a looker.

madaws01 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
My problem with a 4 cylinder isn't the overall power as multiple turbos seem to coax the ponies out in the upper RPM band. It's the torque at low RPMs and the smoothness of the motor. Response. My wife's BMW is a dual turbo 4 pot and when I drive it I find myself using the performance setting that raises the shift points but then I have to put up with the noise and the hair trigger throttle response when it's "on" turbo. Maybe a supercharged 4 would be more to my liking. I like the interior and exterior facelift changes though. It's a looker.
Agreed. I have a V6 XE & a V6 XF Sportbrake-both coming off-lease soon. Shopping for a replacement is maddening because they dropped the V6, I'd take a slower V6 over an Ingenium, simply because the supercharger is so much smoother than a turbo-charged four. I'm guessing we will never see another V8-powered sedan, but I never thought they'd be down to one, turbo-powered four cylinder engine choice on a single sedan option.

madaws01 (04-17-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 05:49 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I fear that Jaguar dropping the V6 and V8 options and offering only the turbocharged Ingenium 4 pot is down to the UK's "eco-nut" banning of ALL ICE engined cars by 2030. There were some hopes of an Ingenium inline 6 but I don't think JLR will invest any more money in any IC engine from now on.
The UK Government is green virtue-signalling, but they clearly haven't thought through the implications of banning ICEs in such a short time period. Neither the UK's power generation capacity nor its electrical grid will be able to cope with even most cars going to electric, and a large number of people in the UK with cars have no offstreet parking, so will not be able to charge their EVs at home (at least not without trailing mains extension cables across pavements/sidewalks!).
I suspect that, come 2029, the UK Government will come to its senses and announce a postponement of the ban, but by then it will be too late as all UK car manufacturers and suppliers will have dropped ICEs from their car ranges.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrisjp:
madaws01 (04-17-2021), tellcarl (04-17-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjp
There were some hopes of an Ingenium inline 6 but I don't think JLR will invest any more money in any IC engine from now on.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/jaguar-land-rover-straight-six-engine/

"Power for the petrol version i-6 peaks at 395bhp, torque at 406lb ft, where JLR’s beefiest supercharged V6 currently makes 375bhp/339lb ft in the F-Type."

I was pleasantly surprised last summer when the i-6 saw life.
There simply has to be a plan to add it to a '22 XF-S.
The middle of range F-Pace now has it.

In fact, 4, 6 & 8 cyl. are avail in the F-Pace now..
At least here in USA.

I love your vision of extension cords with on street parking, such a great point in Europe!

Last edited by F1Virginia; 04-18-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/jaguar-land-rover-straight-six-engine/

"Power for the petrol version i-6 peaks at 395bhp, torque at 406lb ft, where JLR’s beefiest supercharged V6 currently makes 375bhp/339lb ft in the F-Type."

I was pleasantly surprised last summer when the i-6 saw life.
There simply has to be a plan to add it to a '22 XF-S.
The middle of range F-Pace now has it.

In fact, 4, 6 & 8 cyl. are avail in the F-Pace now..
At least here in USA.

I love your vision of extension cords with on street parking, such a great point in Europe!
I read somewhere that the I-6 won't fit in the XF. Personally, I like turbo-charged engines. I just greatly prefer the supercharged V6 or V8 in the XF and XE. I also find it amusing that the same salespeople who told me that the V6 was so much better than the I-4, are now telling me the I-4 is "just as good". As for an "XF-S", the "S" designation apparently now applies to the entry-level, no-frills trim line-which is also bizarre. I would not have high hopes for another exciting XF before the model is retired.