XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2022 XF-R shifting into Neutral at a stop light.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 06:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2022 XF-R shifting into Neutral at a stop light.

Just picked up a brand new 2022 Jaguar XF-R dynamic from the dealership. This car features an auto stop (economy mode) when you stop at a stop light. The vehicle shuts the engine off until you step on the gas pedal. When you step on the gas, the engine strts back up and you proceed down the road. We are experiencing an issue with the vehicle shifting from drive to neutral. That is, we stop at a traffic light, the engine shuts off like it is supposed to but when you step on the gas to resume travel the car is in neutral and has to be shifted back into drive. It doesn't happen all the time but it does it at least every second or third time the feature engages. We took the car back to the dealership and they replaced the shift control module. The second day driving the car the problem reoccurred. The dealership is acting as if we are making up a story and do not understand how the economy engine shut off is supposed to function. Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your advise.

The following 4 users liked this post by BCStimpy52:
Anster32 (09-16-2022), City Cat (04-02-2022), KennyC (09-16-2022), Snevel47 (01-16-2023)
Old 02-20-2022, 07:05 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

To tell you frankly, I've never used the Auto-Stop/Start feature because it puts too much stress on the battery and starter. Your car's Starter will not last long compared to a vehicle without the Auto-Stop Start feature.
I believe the problem is not in the Shift Control Module but on the Auto-Stop/Start feature. Your XF has ZF transmission used by BMW, Audi, Rolls Royce just to name a few. Can you turn off the Auto-Stop Start feature to see if the Gear does not go to Neutral while Drive gear is engaged at a Stop light? To turn the feature off there is an A with a curve arrow on top Button below the Gear Shift selector. Please see picture.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 02-20-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2021 XF R and while I haven’t had the issue you describe, I do find the inability to disable start/stop permanently, annoying. My 2020 Volvo can allow you to “opt out” and thus disabling it. Not so on the Jag you have to manually disable every time you start the car. While I get used to doing it there are times I forget and find the function borderline dangerous. In our models the start/stop is in the settings section of the Pivi Pro screen. Sounds like something you may need to escalate to next level after the dealership if they cant figure it out. Good luck

Old 02-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 XF 35t AWD Prestige

I have never experienced the car shifting into neutral at a stop light. But every time I start the car I try to remember to press the button that prevents the stop/start function. Then, when I come to a stop light, I engage the parking brake so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake pedal. When the light turns green I simply step on the gas.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:01 PM

Hello,
On my 2018 XF when the ECO A button is off, it is turned off permanently.
On the other hand, in the F-Pace forum the members there have found a way to disable the Auto-Stop/Start feature permanently
Maybe this will give an idea where to look? Maybe this will work? Here is the link.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-pace-167370/

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 02-21-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmav
.....I do find the inability to disable start/stop permanently, annoying. ....
I disabled my S/S permanently by unplugging a connector in the trunk. It can be reactivated by plugging it back in. Been over 5 years now with no problem.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 21 XF - Have not had the problem

BC: I bought the first "refreshed" 2021 XF sold in the Kansas City area. I have not had that problem at all, and know that's NOT supposed to happen. For what it's worth, when we start ours we've gotten into the habit of turning off the auto-stop immediately, so we don't have that many opportunities for it to occur. It sounds like a safety issue so I'd get it to the dealer. Outside of that, I think you'll love the car... We traded a Mercedes C43 for ours and have loved it. If you read through early comments on the new version, you'll see that the infotainment system (PiviPro) was a complete mess initially, but we're very satisfied with the fixes and don't have any issues at this point. Also note that you'll see a bunch of responses to your questions from people with pre-2021 XF's. The exterior only has a couple of significant changes so they look very similar, but the refresh completely changed the interiors and all controls... There's almost nothing in the interior/controls/options in the new ones that are like the old ones. Good luck! And post a pic of your new Jag!

Old 03-29-2022, 02:24 PM
Default 22 XF P-300: This DID Happen to me (sort of) - Thought I was crazy

Days after my purchase, I was on winding back roads here in North Carolina traveling at 35mph. I put on the cruise control for some time then braked normally for a stop light and came to a stop. On green, the car didn't start again after lifting my foot from the break. In my nervousness due to people honking their horns behind me, I turned the car completely off (it already wasn't running, so more of a power cycle I guess) then on again and it worked perfectly. I tried for days to replicate what happened but it hasn't since. A couple months later and I'm still on the lookout for this strange behavior.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:48 AM
Default Was a solution found?

I am also experiencing this same issue with our brand new 2022 Jaguar XF-R dynamic. One time at a drive thru and another time at a stop light. The only difference I cannot get mine back from neutral to drive without placing the car in park first. My dealer thinks I'm crazy as well. Has your dealer been able to identify and correct the issue? Have you found a solution yet?

Old 04-10-2022, 10:13 AM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I do love how well-nigh impossible it is to get definitive anywhere information about what should be expected behavior with these cars; the dealers often know less than an informed layman. On my sportbrake, the auto stop/start is permanently disabled (I think that was programmable in '18), but when I sit through a long light it seems the transmission does shift into neutral after a minute or so, and requires about a second to re-engage. If I hit the gas sooner there is a very marked clunk and jerk. Presumably reducing friction in the transmission saves some miniscule amount of gas. It's innocuous enough that I have not investigated further, and is probably hard wired into the programming anyway. My diesel pickup will idle up a 30 degree grade, I will often shift this to neutral at a light just to relieve brake pressure, and the computer keeps rpm the same.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:17 PM

Yes, most of the time you experience an intermittent problem and once you get to the dealer the problem just disappear and the dealer thinks you are making it all up. Here's my suggestion, when the problem occurs take your cellphone & record the problem. Once you get to the dealer just show them the cellphone video.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 04-10-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:10 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmav
I have 2021 XF R and while I haven’t had the issue you describe, I do find the inability to disable start/stop permanently, annoying. My 2020 Volvo can allow you to “opt out” and thus disabling it. Not so on the Jag you have to manually disable every time you start the car. While I get used to doing it there are times I forget and find the function borderline dangerous. In our models the start/stop is in the settings section of the Pivi Pro screen. Sounds like something you may need to escalate to next level after the dealership if they cant figure it out. Good luck
Up to model year 20, there is a hard button to turn off Stop/Start, which has to be done every time the car is started because otherwise it's on by default. This is a bit irritating but not too onerous, and I think the on by default behaviour is to enable Jaguar to claim the small fuel saving that this feature can show under test conditions.
I note you say that with Pivi-Pro (fitted to all cars from model year 21 onwards) you turn Stop/Start off via the Settings screen. Does that mean that there is no hard button to do this? If so, I can imagine that it is annoying having to delve through menus to turn off Stop/Start every time you start the car.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem they said it’s a software update hopefully it will be resolved in the next few weeks this is ridiculous

Old 05-13-2022, 05:14 AM

I called. My salesman he knew nothing about it I called the dealership they Said they’re working on a software update to fix it but could be a few weeks. I almost got rear ended because of this

Old 05-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Default Neutral at stop lights while using auto stop/start

QUOTE= I have pulled up to stop lights in my 2022XFR And had the car randomly drop into neutral.. I’ve only had the vehicle One month and this is randomly happened to me three times. It is very rare that I would use the eco-driving mode, so that may be one more symptom to eliminate. I plan to take mine to the dealership in Austin very soon.

BCStimpy52;2498689]Just picked up a brand new 2022 Jaguar XF-R dynamic from the dealership. This car features an auto stop (economy mode) when you stop at a stop light. The vehicle shuts the engine off until you step on the gas pedal. When you step on the gas, the engine strts back up and you proceed down the road. We are experiencing an issue with the vehicle shifting from drive to neutral. That is, we stop at a traffic light, the engine shuts off like it is supposed to but when you step on the gas to resume travel the car is in neutral and has to be shifted back into drive. It doesn't happen all the time but it does it at least every second or third time the feature engages. We took the car back to the dealership and they replaced the shift control module. The second day driving the car the problem reoccurred. The dealership is acting as if we are making up a story and do not understand how the economy engine shut off is supposed to function. Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your advise.[/QUOTE]

The following users liked this post:
Rosennet (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Default I have almost been rear ended a few times you have to go To settings and turn off The

Originally Posted by Flyingavion
QUOTE= I have pulled up to stop lights in my 2022XFR And had the car randomly drop into neutral.. I’ve only had the vehicle One month and this is randomly happened to me three times. It is very rare that I would use the eco-driving mode, so that may be one more symptom to eliminate. I plan to take mine to the dealership in Austin very soon.

BCStimpy52;2498689]Just picked up a brand new 2022 Jaguar XF-R dynamic from the dealership. This car features an auto stop (economy mode) when you stop at a stop light. The vehicle shuts the engine off until you step on the gas pedal. When you step on the gas, the engine strts back up and you proceed down the road. We are experiencing an issue with the vehicle shifting from drive to neutral. That is, we stop at a traffic light, the engine shuts off like it is supposed to but when you step on the gas to resume travel the car is in neutral and has to be shifted back into drive. It doesn't happen all the time but it does it at least every second or third time the feature engages. We took the car back to the dealership and they replaced the shift control module. The second day driving the car the problem reoccurred. The dealership is acting as if we are making up a story and do not understand how the economy engine shut off is supposed to function. Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your advise.
[/QUOTE]

Old 05-15-2022, 11:51 AM
Default Idle

Originally Posted by Flyingavion

BCStimpy52;2498689]Just picked up a brand new 2022 Jaguar XF-R dynamic from the dealership. This car features an auto stop (economy mode) when you stop at a stop light. The vehicle shuts the engine off until you step on the gas pedal. When you step on the gas, the engine strts back up and you proceed down the road. We are experiencing an issue with the vehicle shifting from drive to neutral. That is, we stop at a traffic light, the engine shuts off like it is supposed to but when you step on the gas to resume travel the car is in neutral and has to be shifted back into drive. It doesn't happen all the time but it does it at least every second or third time the feature engages. We took the car back to the dealership and they replaced the shift control module. The second day driving the car the problem reoccurred. The dealership is acting as if we are making up a story and do not understand how the economy engine shut off is supposed to function. Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your advise.
[/QUOTE]
you need to turn off the automatic shut off each time you start the car. They said they’re working on this offer update could be a month they have no idea why dealership did not know about it the one in half an estate Illinois told me about it

Old 05-15-2022, 11:51 AM
Default Software update

you need to turn off the automatic shut off each time you start the car. They said they’re working on this offer update could be a month they have no idea why dealership did not know about it the one in half an estate Illinois told me about it[/QUOTE]

Old 05-15-2022, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rosennet
you need to turn off the automatic shut off each time you start the car. They said they’re working on this offer update could be a month they have no idea why dealership did not know about it the one in half an estate Illinois told me about it
[/QUOTE]

Old 05-15-2022, 11:58 AM
Default Idle

[/sorry about the speech text. Hoffman estates jaguar new about the problem , said don’t know when or if will be fixed

Quick Reply: 2022 XF-R shifting into Neutral at a stop light.