XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Autonomous Emergency Braking Operation (AEB)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Autonomous Emergency Braking Operation (AEB)

Hi, I am a relatively new and very proud owner of a beautiful dark blue 2017 XF and am a little confused about its AEB operation. My wife has an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport which also offers AEB operation with or without Cruise Control. I find the 'without' operation to be really useful feature when you get to be an old bloke like me with tired reflexes!

My 'new' Jag provides AEB (I selected it from the driver assistance menu). It works well during Adaptive cruise where it actively slows the car to maintain a gap with the vehicle ahead down to a full stop. It is a little noisy (tolerably), i.e. when operating I can hear, what I believe, is the ABS controller growling each time it operates.

My problem is that the only function it appears to have, when NOT using adaptive cruise, is to sound an alarm and flash a red triangle on the HUD when it thinks it's approaching the vehicle in ahead too fast?
Is that it?
Any advice from more experienced pilots would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
usaussie

Old 02-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same question and I found this link useful. This is pretty much a digital owner's manual: Jaguar Owner Information

If the link doesn't work, here's the important info:AEBA is only fitted on vehicles with adaptive cruise control. AEBA functions even if adaptive cruise control and forward alert are switched off.

AEBA is available at speeds above approximately 5 mph (8 km/h). AEBA improves braking response during emergency braking when a moving vehicle is detected close ahead.

If the risk of a collision increases after the FORWARD ALERT warning is displayed, the AEBA system is activated. The brakes are automatically applied gently, in preparation for rapid braking. Rapid braking may be noticeable to the driver. If the brake pedal is then pressed quickly, full braking is implemented, even if only light pressure is applied to the pedal.

Hope this helps.