XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery change

Hi all I have been getting intermittent error message’s I have checked the battery and from all the checks it looks like it is on the way out (original battery nearly 6 years old) car is XF MY2016 2.0 Diesel. Question is after disconnecting old and re-connecting the new do you need to enter any codes for immobiliser, radio, or any other systems such as in control etc.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:31 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I've disconnected the battery on my XE and then subsequently reconnected it, without the need to enter any codes. The only thing I had to do was to reset the one touch up and down windows. You do this for each window by operating the window down and then holding the switch in the down position for a few seconds. Then you do the same thing with the switch in the up position. That was all that was necessary so I guess the same must apply when replacing the battery with a new one.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 255 Posts

There's talk on forums about having to "initialize" new batteries. As far as I can tell if you replace like with like (amps/cell type) you're good to go. If not same type then you run the risk of overcharging or undercharging. This all started in many newer cars when they went to so called "smart charging" that saves some battery charge space for recovering electricity when motor is in braking/no throttle mode. It supposedly increases mpg. I've tried to get definitive answers about it but failed. Anyone know for sure?

Old 05-23-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
I've disconnected the battery on my XE and then subsequently reconnected it, without the need to enter any codes. The only thing I had to do was to reset the one touch up and down windows. You do this for each window by operating the window down and then holding the switch in the down position for a few seconds. Then you do the same thing with the switch in the up position. That was all that was necessary so I guess the same must apply when replacing the battery with a new one.
Thanks for that chrisjp can’t imagine the XF & XE are that much different, battery change tomorrow it is then.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
There's talk on forums about having to "initialize" new batteries. As far as I can tell if you replace like with like (amps/cell type) you're good to go. If not same type then you run the risk of overcharging or undercharging. This all started in many newer cars when they went to so called "smart charging" that saves some battery charge space for recovering electricity when motor is in braking/no throttle mode. It supposedly increases mpg. I've tried to get definitive answers about it but failed. Anyone know for sure?
Thanks meleskovar I am pretty sure it is the same, but will double check just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Thanks all battery changed all faults gone,(after short drive) and nothing needed to be rest. All happy now.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:44 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad it worked OK. The dealerships (and JLR unfortunately) will try to tell you that a battery change is a job needing their "skilled technicians" but that is nonsense. The manual for my XE also says that battery charging requires the battery to be removed from the car which is also a job for the dealership. This again is nonsense - as long as you use an intelligent charger with AGM battery capability (eg a CTEK) you can charge it in place using the jump start connections under the bonnet/hood.