XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Broken wheel stud on XF

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken wheel stud on XF

Hi guys
I'm new to this forum so go easy on me.I need help with broken wheel stud on the front wheel on my Jaguar XF X260 2.0d 180bhp January 2016 .Tyre shop when they balance the wheels they broke one of my stud.I manage to take the brakes off and when I cut shorter the broken stud I just hammered out.How do I fit new one?any help.appreciate

Old 07-11-2020, 12:41 PM

Thats the kind of hub on my xf.This picture I take from the Net just to show which one it is.If I remove hub by any chance from bearing would it be possible to press another stud in?thx guys

Old 07-11-2020, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The wheel studs go in from the rear and are normally just a simple tap-out-old, tap in new. But the hub has to come out from the hub carrier unless Jaguar have put a gap in the hub carrier for just this situation.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#.../assembly/7796

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 07-11-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The wheel studs go in from the rear and are normally just a simple tap-out-old, tap in new. But the hub has to come out from the hub carrier.
Hi.thx for reply.I went to see Jaguar dealer today and they told me just need new hub.There is 4 star bolts at the back of the bearings.can I take them off
with out worry that something will fall apart if I do this?

Old 07-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Old 07-11-2020, 02:25 PM

The wheel studs go in from the rear and are normally just a simple tap-out-old, tap in new. But the hub has to come out from the hub carrier unless Jaguar have put a gap in the hub carrier for just this situation.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#.../assembly/7796
They didn't leave any gap to do this.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by DESTROYER77
They didn't leave any gap to do this.
I see your link but on my wheel there is not any big NUT at the front of the hub to undo it.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I see your link but on my wheel there is not any big NUT at the front of the hub to undo it.
That's because I have stupidly shown you a link to the X-type. Sorry !!
Normally you can replace wheel studs on their own. Maybe Jaguar doesn't supply just the studs any more. Seems a bit stupid to have to replace the whole hub just because a stud has sheared off ! However nothing surprises me anymore, anyway, here is one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEEL-STU...8AAOSw1LdeWXks

You'll have to remove those five Torx bolts at the back so you can withdraw the hub from the hub carrier.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:24 PM

That's because I have stupidly shown you a link to the X-type. Sorry !!
Normally you can replace wheel studs on their own. Maybe Jaguar doesn't supply just the studs any more. Seems a bit stupid to have to replace the whole hub just because a stud has sheared off ! However nothing surprises me anymore, anyway, here is one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEEL-STU...8AAOSw1LdeWXks

You'll have to remove those five Torx bolts at the back so you can withdraw the hub from the hub carrier.
Thx for the info.One more silly maybe question.Is there something behind to fall apart if I remove the hub from the carrier? Or should just be big hole like I expect to be hopefully.Thank you for your help

Old 05-05-2021, 06:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Just had the same experience. Broken off lug nut either due to pot hole or wheel guys. Told can only replace whole hub and bearing. Very annoying...

Old 05-05-2021, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Marlow42
Just had the same experience. Broken off lug nut either due to pot hole or wheel guys. Told can only replace whole hub and bearing. Very annoying...
Hi.You can do without replacing the wheel hub.I did it. is a bit DIY.To this day no issues.Last year in summer went 210km/hr in Germany no problem. Tomorrow I'm actually replacing brake pads so I can make picture what I did to sort broken stud.

Last edited by DESTROYER77; 05-05-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:00 AM

Hi.You can do without replacing the wheel hub.I did it. is a bit DIY.To this day no issues.Last year in summer went 210km/hr in Germany no problem. Tomorrow I'm actually replacing brake pads so I can make picture what I did to sort broken stud.
Have enough to play with on my 1960's & 1970's cars. When the warranty runs out on the modern ones I'll certainly be having a go...

Old 05-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Broken wheel studs are unfortunately most often caused by tyre (tire) fitters using air wrenches set to too-high torque to do up the wheel (lug) nuts. I think they set a torque high enough for any vehicle that might come in, so they don't need to bother with resetting for each customer. Unfortunately the breakage tends to occur not when the wheel nut is done up (and it would obviously be seen as the fitter's fault), but later when it needs to be undone again.
Also, if they don't tighten the wheel nuts progressively in a diagonal sequence it is possible to distort the brake disc, leading to judder when the brakes are applied.
Having had this trouble myself some years ago I now don't let tyre fitters get anywhere near my wheel studs, and instead remove wheels that need new tyres myself and take them into the tyre fitter "loose". That way I can re-install the wheels myself with the correct torque applied to the wheel nuts in a progressive manner.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
Broken wheel studs are unfortunately most often caused by tyre (tire) fitters using air wrenches set to too-high torque to do up the wheel (lug) nuts. I think they set a torque high enough for any vehicle that might come in, so they don't need to bother with resetting for each customer. Unfortunately the breakage tends to occur not when the wheel nut is done up (and it would obviously be seen as the fitter's fault), but later when it needs to be undone again.
Also, if they don't tighten the wheel nuts progressively in a diagonal sequence it is possible to distort the brake disc, leading to judder when the brakes are applied.
Having had this trouble myself some years ago I now don't let tyre fitters get anywhere near my wheel studs, and instead remove wheels that need new tyres myself and take them into the tyre fitter "loose". That way I can re-install the wheels myself with the correct torque applied to the wheel nuts in a progressive manner.
Does seem to be the way to go. Did the same with front wheels. Will continue to do the same now for all wheels.
Trouble starts when you have to have a tire replaced mid long journey and have less control over fitters.