XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Can't solve Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't solve Coolant Leak

Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Jaguar XF premium at 66K miles. My coolant just seems to continue to disappear with residue evidence in the engine but cannot detect the exact leak when the car is on. Parts that have already been replaced by a mechanic are the following, engine coolant thermostat, reservoir hose, thermostat water outlet connector. After these repairs, the coolant was steady with no loss for a month, then it started losing again. Any help would be appreciated. Yesterday I noticed what appears to be coolant dripping from the bottom near the front passenger side. Attached are pictures.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

CrazyNoodleMan, it might help if you told us the size engine you have. From the pics, it would appear that you have the supercharged 3.0L engine. With that being said, if you do some looking through the XF forums, you will find a lot of references to coolant leaks. This appears to be the achilles heal of the engine. With that being said, if you do see the temp gauge start to rise, turn the engine off IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!! You get the block too warm and it will warp and then you are most likely looking at a new engine. Gotta love aluminum. So, take that for what it is worth.

As for where your leak is coming from. It would appear as if it is coming from either the water pump or the connection on the back of the water pump. Both are known for causing leaks. What I would tell you to do is first get under the car and remove the under engine plate. IT is decent size and it can mask where a leak is coming from very easily. Next, fill the expansion bottle with water and then connect a coolant system pressure tester (this can be rented from most auto parts places for just the cost of a refund). This wlll allow you to press up the coolant system to just under 15 psig. This should cause whatever is leaking to really start gushing. Like was mentioned, the water pump and the connection on the back of it are known issues. On your motor, you also need to ponder the coolant tube that runs behind the supercharger. 2 out of 3 of the pieces I mention are made from plastic. These will crack and cause minoor leaks initially and will get worse with time. The nice thing, if you find the right article, it will list the replacement parts in metal which will remove the weakness in the motor. Then all you have to worry about is the rubber pieces.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:13 PM

Hey , yes so it is a 3.0L Supercharger. I ended up getting the water pump replaced and the outlet tube that attaches to it. However, 40 minutes into driving and parked, I smell coolant again just from a different area. Now it seems it is in the front left near the headlight area of the car(passenger). I’ve attached a pressure tester and nothing leaks visually. It seems to only leak while I’m driving for a while but stops when I put the car in park. No wet hoses at all. I’ve attached pictures. This is driving me insane haha.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Noodle, well, based on the engine, I would tell you the 2 main culprits I would be looking at right now. The more likely is your oil cooler (under the intake manifold, the water pump plugs right into it) has developed a little bit of a gasket leak (common issue I hear) or the crossover pipe on the rear of the engine is starting to leak on you. Either way, when you fix one, you are going to be in the area of the other. Unfortunately, this means pulling the supercharger and the intake to get to them. Not a hard job, but a fair number of bolts. This would be a good time to also look at the snoot of your supercharger to see if it has any play. A few more bolts that you can fix that too should it need it.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyNoodleMan_
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Jaguar XF premium at 66K miles. My coolant just seems to continue to disappear with residue evidence in the engine but cannot detect the exact leak when the car is on. Parts that have already been replaced by a mechanic are the following, engine coolant thermostat, reservoir hose, thermostat water outlet connector. After these repairs, the coolant was steady with no loss for a month, then it started losing again. Any help would be appreciated. Yesterday I noticed what appears to be coolant dripping from the bottom near the front passenger side. .....

Welcome to the forums CrazyNoodleMan,

I've moved your thread from General Tech Help to X260 forum. This is the place to post questions about your model.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Graham

Old 05-23-2023, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Noodle, well, based on the engine, I would tell you the 2 main culprits I would be looking at right now. The more likely is your oil cooler (under the intake manifold, the water pump plugs right into it) has developed a little bit of a gasket leak (common issue I hear) or the crossover pipe on the rear of the engine is starting to leak on you. Either way, when you fix one, you are going to be in the area of the other. Unfortunately, this means pulling the supercharger and the intake to get to them. Not a hard job, but a fair number of bolts. This would be a good time to also look at the snoot of your supercharger to see if it has any play. A few more bolts that you can fix that too should it need it.
I found the area that is leaking and it’s right next to the water pump. I’m really confused on how this is leaking when I just replaced the water pump friday in addition to the oil cooler pipe(upgraded metal).

Old 05-25-2023, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

did you replace the seals and gasket

Old 05-25-2023, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by dennis black
did you replace the seals and gasket
Yea I replaced both gasket orings. I just made an appointment at an auto shop so they can pinpoint the exact issue since it doesn’t seem I can fix the problem myself.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

What about the two terrible plastic cooling pipes in front of the water pump?
Also there is a small tube from the water pump to the oil cooler brick which is a bit tricky to get installed correctly. It has leaked on a number of people.

Also if this was my car I would replace all the plastic with lifetime aftermarket Aluminum parts. We now have the small tube mentioned above and both front plastic tubes available in Aluminum. The prices are VERY reasonable too!