XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Central locking not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central locking not working

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a used 2017 RSport XF 3.0 Diesel.I noticed that the central locking is no longer working correctly. It appears to lock but then when you try the doors some of them are open.
I have some fault come up on the dash like rear child security fault also when the car auto-locks as it's pulling off.

Finally when I attempt to lock it there is a double beep from the car which I am puzzled about.

I have no idea where to start with this, I've tried spaying WD40 just in case one of the actuators was stuck but it's not that, does anyone know where to begin with this and how to diagnose which part I need to purchase ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 634 Posts

Hi
I have quite a lot of experience with door locking faults but on an X350.

Since you have had a message re child security I suggest that you
have a look at the manual child locks on both rear doors which
are in the door actuators .Try just tuning them on and off a couple of times.

The other thing you could try is to remove both battery cables and touch them
together for say 10 secs. Note that you may need to reset the radio code and
the windows after disconnecting the battery.
I suggest that you read up on these topics in you Owner's Manual before
starting the above since the above may not apply to your model.
Please post results in this forum and will I be able to see them
Cheers
BTW If you are Welsh you may recognise my name.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:39 AM

Hi Meirion,

Yes, I am Welsh and yours is a good Welsh name indeed !

It seems that my central locking issue isn't a purely locking issue, I also discovered that the window to that same door does not work. I'm guessing this could be a failed module for the whole door or a problem in the wiring there. I already swapped the fuse from the other door but that didn't work so I guess I'll try taking the cars off both back doors now and plugging the one card into the other to see if the locking and window work at all.

I'm new to Jags, my mechanic warned me about electrical gremlins and tried to persuade me to stick with BMW but the Jag is such a beautiful car so I'm a little disheartened at the moment to be having problems so early on. I hope that I can just get these out of the way and have some electronically trouble free years.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts

> ...I also discovered that the window to that same door does not work. I'm guessing this could be a failed module

This would suggest corrosion on the pin in a connector - my guess it is the connector in the door panel closest to where the cable is coming into the door panel (assuming there is a connector in that position). I don't have an XF, just a lot of other Jag - I just had a peek, which problems XF may have...
Clean the pins with a wire brush, possibly contact cleaner and then some kind of electrically conductive corrosion protection (well, I am using WD40 there, which might not be the best solution...)

PS1: I may just have found the proper spray for that purpose (better than WD40 for that purpose): CRC 2.26 Electrical Spray. I am about to buy that myself now.

PS2: While I always used WD40 for that purpose, I just did more research and found that WD40 is actually not suitable at all for that purpose, as WD40 is a non-conductor.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 07-24-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ​​​​​​​added PS notes
The following users liked this post:
Mikeintn68 (02-13-2024)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
> ...I also discovered that the window to that same door does not work. I'm guessing this could be a failed module

This would suggest corrosion on the pin in a connector - my guess it is the connector in the door panel closest to where the cable is coming into the door panel (assuming there is a connector in that position). I don't have an XF, just a lot of other Jag - I just had a peek, which problems XF may have...
Clean the pins with a wire brush, possibly contact cleaner and then some kind of electrically conductive corrosion protection (well, I am using WD40 there, which might not be the best solution...)

PS1: I may just have found the proper spray for that purpose (better than WD40 for that purpose): CRC 2.26 Electrical Spray. I am about to buy that myself now.

PS2: While I always used WD40 for that purpose, I just did more research and found that WD40 is actually not suitable at all for that purpose, as WD40 is a non-conductor.
Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply. We narrowed it down yesterday with a mobile auto electrician to the door module. I managed to find one on ebay cheap and he'll be installing it tomorrow so let's see what it will fix. We had both the window and the door lock working when he bypassed the module.

Does anyone know how to release the child locks manually on the X260 because the doors currently don't open from within, not sure if this will fix itself when the new module arrives. The key which is inside the key fob is supposed to do this but I can't get it to turn in that child lock hole in the door. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Old 07-25-2023, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts

On the Ford Fairlane there is a little "lever" in the frame of the rear door, which needs to be shifted to switch child lock on and off - on the XF it works similarly, but that "lever" looks differently (that white button wants to be turned...):

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 07-25-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:56 AM

Hi Peter,

Yes that's exactly the same video I found. My locks are totally jammed I'm guessing the module failed when they were in some halfway state. Let's see if reinstalling the module fixes them.