XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Change Of Wheels - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change Of Wheels - Please Help

Hi folks I could really do with some help from the Jaguar enthusiasts/experts in here..

So I recently became a Jag owner (2016 XF prestige) and I love it, the car came with genuine Jag 17 inch 15 spoke alloy wheels (size: 225/55 R17) which I thought were too small and looked a bit lost on the car so I had a look for new (or used) wheels and I wanted to upsize to 19 inch. I spotted online someone selling 19 inch Jag alloys which had come off a 2012 XJ (these wheels are not run flat and are different size on front and back. Back: 275/40 ZR19 Front: 245/45 R19 (I think this means they are staggered)) I got my local tyre guy to put them on the car (even though he didn't think they would fit) and they look great and fit great, he also balanced them..

My question is should I take these back off the car? Already the TPMS is causing me a bit of concern (but I could live with that) as they are non run flat so don't have the TPMS valve.. But in terms of driving quality or risk of damage to the suspension or Insurance being invalid etc. Am I crazy to leave these on the car?

Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 AM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

This thread may be helpful - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...els-xf-212442/

My XF S SportBrake came with 20" wheels and 255/35/20 Tires, 27.03" Diameter. I love the ride of the tires and the look of the 20" wheels.
I see 275/40/19 and 245/45/19 are both 27.7" Diameter. 275 is wide, but as long as they are not rubbing on anything in the rear and in the front with the steering wheel at full tilt it doesn't rub or if it does file off some of the plastic in the wheel well, then seems like front 245/45/19 should be fine.
It looks like mine may be able to go just slightly bigger, like a 245/40/20 (27.7" Diameter) and fill the wheel well a little more, but I'm not sure if they would rub. Maybe on my next set I will try it. Your XF Sedan has a spare in the trunk right, so you really don't need to worry about Run-Flats. ?

Last edited by JagWire_5280; 08-08-2019 at 12:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Question Mark (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 AM

Hi JagWire, thank you for that information and for posting link.

The wheels are not rubbing at any point even with the steering wheel at full rotation.

I dont have a spare as the car came with the 17 inch run flats so i have a compressor and a can of refill fluid - I dont want to purchase a spare (space saver) until i have committed to the bigger non run flat tyres.

Is it possible to have TPMS sensors/monitoring on non run flat tyres? If it is possible is there anything stopping me getting a set of TPMS sensors installed on my current wheels or maybe even waiting until the tyres need replacing and get the TPMS sensors installed at this time? Do tyre centres typically install TPMS sensors?

Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you can get TPMS installed on new wheels and non-run flats, I know many people in CO who do this for one set of summer wheels and one set of wheels with snow tires so they don't have to switch the tires 2X a year, just switch the wheels and TPMS is programmed for the car.
My XF wagon has the spare in the back so I don't have run-flats on it but it still has TPMS. All cars in the last 5 years I believe are required to have TPMS. Here's some good info from TireRack and additional links, will give you an idea of cost.
TireRack TPMS

Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JagWire_5280
This thread may be helpful - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...els-xf-212442/

My XF S SportBrake came with 20" wheels and 255/35/20 Tires, 27.03" Diameter. I love the ride of the tires and the look of the 20" wheels.
I see 275/40/19 and 245/45/19 are both 27.7" Diameter. 275 is wide, but as long as they are not rubbing on anything in the rear and in the front with the steering wheel at full tilt it doesn't rub or if it does file off some of the plastic in the wheel well, then seems like front 245/45/19 should be fine.
It looks like mine may be able to go just slightly bigger, like a 245/40/20 (27.7" Diameter) and fill the wheel well a little more, but I'm not sure if they would rub. Maybe on my next set I will try it. Your XF Sedan has a spare in the trunk right, so you really don't need to worry about Run-Flats. ?

JagWire - Let me know if you are looking to sell your current wheels at some point. I have the 20" black wheels which I'd like to mount snows on, but would like these for my summer set.

JJ

Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JagWire_5280
Yes, you can get TPMS installed on new wheels and non-run flats, I know many people in CO who do this for one set of summer wheels and one set of wheels with snow tires so they don't have to switch the tires 2X a year, just switch the wheels and TPMS is programmed for the car.
My XF wagon has the spare in the back so I don't have run-flats on it but it still has TPMS. All cars in the last 5 years I believe are required to have TPMS. Here's some good info from TireRack and additional links, will give you an idea of cost.
TireRack TPMS

So i have to admit to a bit of naivety on this one I assumed (incorrectly ) because i had no spare wheel in the boot that the original tyres were run flats but i am reliably informed that this is not the case and that in fact the originals are not run flats..

So my questions is now.. Do i take the TPMS sensors from the old 17 inch wheels and put them on the new 19 inch wheels or do i buy a new set of TPMS sensors and put them on instead (this means i could sell the 17 inch wheels as they are)? How costly would a new set of TPMS sensors be and do they need to be programmed to the 19 inch wheels?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Question Mark

Do i take the TPMS sensors from the old 17 inch wheels and put them on the new 19 inch wheels or do i buy a new set of TPMS sensors and put them on instead (this means i could sell the 17 inch wheels as they are)?
That's what I would do - buy the new TPMS. There is a battery which is naturally discharging. Besides you will need to pay for TPMS kit (not the sensors themselves) when you move the sensors from one wheel to another. You'll also have to pay for mount/dismount and it will affect 17" resale value.

Originally Posted by Question Mark
How costly would a new set of TPMS sensors be and do they need to be programmed to the 19 inch wheels?
The OEM part costs around $250 per wheel, but you can find compatible TPMS online for $60-80 a pop (I use aftermarket on my winter set with no complains). Make sure they are compatible though - they have to use Jag frequency. They don't have to be programmed for the diameter. They are just paired with the vehicle. Discount tire or tiresplus will do it for you.

The following users liked this post:
Question Mark (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ololly
That's what I would do - buy the new TPMS. There is a battery which is naturally discharging. Besides you will need to pay for TPMS kit (not the sensors themselves) when you move the sensors from one wheel to another. You'll also have to pay for mount/dismount and it will affect 17" resale value.

The OEM part costs around $250 per wheel, but you can find compatible TPMS online for $60-80 a pop (I use aftermarket on my winter set with no complains). Make sure they are compatible though - they have to use Jag frequency. They don't have to be programmed for the diameter. They are just paired with the vehicle. Discount tire or tiresplus will do it for you.
Thanks a million ololly there looks to be some good genuine options on ebay at reasonable prices - Ill report back when i have the new sensors installed.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Assuming they use the same sensors as the XJ, the OEM sensor is made by Continental/ VDO. Make sure to get those for maximum compatibility if not buying Jaguar sensors.

The frequency used is dependent on the market (US vs European). The US market uses 315MHz and the European market should be using 433 MHz.

All the best.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Assuming they use the same sensors as the XJ, the OEM sensor is made by Continental/ VDO. Make sure to get those for maximum compatibility if not buying Jaguar sensors.

The frequency used is dependent on the market (US vs European). The US market uses 315MHz and the European market should be using 433 MHz.

All the best.

Thanks so much Nedoerr... They look like they will work:

Old 11-01-2022, 04:21 PM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr

All the best.
Bumping this thread to see if anyone can confirm the US 315 and 433 ROW. I ordered sensors with my new tires from TireRack and they provided 433Mhz sensors. The car does not recognize them though. I either need to have these programmed or try different sensors.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I think it’s more complicated than I initially thought.
see this thread for more info from the F-type folk.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/tpms-162046/