XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Considering buying a new XF and return to Jaguar, but some concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a new XF and return to Jaguar, but some concerns

After a 13 year hiatus on this forum (upon which I was surprised to find my account still active), I'm considering a return to Jaguar. After selling my X-Type 2.5 and S-Type R in 2011, I've got my eyes set on an XF to replace the crummy A4 that I have driven ever since. However, I have a few concerning questions about buying an XF:

(1) New build allocation constraints?: I tend to keep my cars a long time (X-Type 8 years, current A4 for almost 13 years), and am inclined to buy new so I can get exactly the car and configuration I want to drive for the rest of this decade. However, conversations with salesmen at multiple dealers have been met with a lukewarm response about the XF, almost treating the sale as "well, if you really want it, okay, here's what you have to do." Total lack of enthusiasm or sales support. Does anybody have insight into what supply constraints and allocation restrictions exist on the XF? I was told no more Portofino blue -- is this true? The most recent facelift models look great both inside and out, they really have me sold on the car...a vehicle that I complained about back in 2007 (on this forum) as looking too much like a Chrysler 300M. But there seems to be a glaring lack of information about what supply constraints exist on the 2024 XF's, and why the dealers seem so apathetic about selling it. Perhaps the latter might be due to....

(2) The future of Jaguar dealer service: The other concern I have when buying new is what the service & warranty footprint will look like in the coming years as Jaguar transitions to a niche, high-market, electric only brand. Will I still be able to get widespread warranty service on a new XF for the next 4-5 years?

Auto News has an article from earlier this year indicating JLR has asked dealers to give up their Jaguar franchise in exchange for more Land Rover allocations. Another article that I found speculated that Jag's dealership footprint would have to shrink by 75% to keep its new business plan viable. If that's the case, is the lukewarm reception I've been getting a tell tale sign that the dealers are aware of more behind the scenes things, and hence a quiet reluctance to close sales deals?

Per #2, I didn't have to search too hard to find one local example already happening....I just wonder is this the tip of the iceberg, or are more dealers about to fall like dominoes?

I welcome any thoughts and experiences from those who have recently ordered XF's. Hoping I can be part of this group.

~millergd~

Last edited by millergd; 12-17-2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: grammatical
Old 12-17-2023, 11:40 AM

p.s. this is the CarScoops story about US Jaguar dealership consolidation for Jaguar that seems to reinforce the AutoNews article. Again, the article is speculative, but certainly laying out a situation that hasn't gotten a lot of visible dialogue in the press.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:37 PM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Model Year 24 will be the last one for both the XE and the XF, and Jag is only making a small number of each as the concentrate on their SUVs which garner larger profits. There have been some reports of people not getting the range of options they have ordered, and they are presented with their new car, missing a few things they really wanted, on a "take it or leave it" basis.
I think this reflects Jag using up their stocks of parts and not ordering new supplies, as their production of these two cars winds down.
I was thinking of replacing my MY20 XE with a new one ordered to my specification, but the above has put me off.
For reasons only known to itself, and its "re-imagination", Jag just doesn't seem to want to sell XEs and XFs. What a pity!

The following users liked this post:
Stavnjag (06-03-2024)
Old 12-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sad, isn't it? We loved our XE and XF, both with the V6. They put to shame our Lexus IS-350s and Toyota Camry V6. In hindsight, I wished that we had kept our Jags even though we didn't have the forethought to get many options we've come to appreciate in our current Jags. Lacking garage space for all five of our Jags, the XE and XF suffered from sitting outside for long periods of time only a block from the ocean's salt air. I got tired of replacing rusty brakes. If only we had a couple more bays to our garages...

Old 12-18-2023, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
Model Year 24 will be the last one for both the XE and the XF, and Jag is only making a small number of each as the concentrate on their SUVs which garner larger profits. There have been some reports of people not getting the range of options they have ordered, and they are presented with their new car, missing a few things they really wanted, on a "take it or leave it" basis.
I think this reflects Jag using up their stocks of parts and not ordering new supplies, as their production of these two cars winds down.
To your last point, I see that the 2024 Range Rovers just lost their climate control dials and a lot of people who didn't read the fine print before ordering got caught by surprise. I wonder if prospective XF buyers might find new cars delivered without them (also by surprise)?

Jaguar sold 809 XF's in the US in 2022...and in another table (that I since can't find), it appeared there had been a window of either 4 or 6 months with no XF's sold whatsoever during the recent phase of part shortages. Recent year XF's are extremely rare, and if their current assembly plan is to burn up on-hand parts, that doesn't bode well for repairability down the road, let alone finding a parts car in a junkyard to borrow from...

~millergd~

Old 12-18-2023, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

I would have grave concerns about buying a NEW Jaguar because the two closest dealers to me closed earlier this year. I was told at one that the Land Rover dealer across the street would continue to take care of warranty service on late model Jaguars but did not have the capacity to service any Jaguars that were beyond warranty and would be referring customers to a nearby indy. That nearby indy recently lost two of their long-time technicians, was shorthanded till recently and with Jaguars already piling up, was scheduling two months out. But what would concern me even more was what happened last year in 2022. I was on a trip and had to seek help from a Jaguar dealer 800 miles from home. Then I read somebody post on here that dealer would be closing too.

It's one thing to buy a used Jaguar as a second or third car or a weekend toy, particularly if you can DIY most of your own repairs. I can DIY almost anything up to and including rebuilding a ZF automatic transmission but when on a trip, I can't carry all my tools and I can't take six months of weekends to fix something. Its about time for me to think about my next "sedan" but its probably going to be an Acura or Lexus that could be fixed immediately or at worst overnight by any mechanic anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I still like the old XF and I'm going to try to figure out an affordable indoor storage solution so I can keep it (its probably the last V8 I'll ever get since everything now is a 4cyl turbo and going electric). But the XF is approaching the age where its going to start getting needy just like the XJ8 did starting about 15 years old, I don't have the energy to work on cars late on weeknights like I did when I was younger, but mainly I need at least one car in the fleet that I can drive across country without worrying about what I'd do if it breaks down along the way.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:37 PM

Depressing. I'm sure that Jag owners in the '60s felt the same way. And that was when vehicles didn't have computers and such. Can you imagine any of us replacing a blown Jag engine with a Toyota or Chevy engine? I gave up my Toyota Previa because Toyota had no more spare parts. I couldn't get a new passenger door when someone ran into it. I couldn't get a new starter when mine finally became somewhat iffy. When the local Toyota dealer suggested I look for another Previa I could use for parts I decided to get rid of it...as much as I loved it for its practicality and reliability after 463,000 miles. Next thing we know there won't be any parts or fuel for ICE.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts

heres your answer

Old 12-19-2023, 05:29 PM
Received 269 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm also of the mindset that a new ICE Jag would be a bad move. Jag is already shrinking the dealer network, their remaining workshops will be re-tooled for EVs over the next 5 years or so, and their workshop prices will increase in line with the higher-end market that they're now targeting. This will take a few years to happen properly, but I think the changes will have started to take effect before MY2024 warranty periods are over. This is purely opinion/speculation based on stuff I've read on the internet so whether it's valid or not is completely up in the air, which is another reason I wouldn't buy a new ICE Jag... you simply don't know what things are going to be like next year, the year after, etc. Warranty is (to me) the only reason to buy a new car vs. one that's a few years old, so any uncertainty around warranty service makes me very uneasy about parting with big dollars.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:50 PM

So, the grandfather died with lots of money in the bank. Unfortunately, he was unable to take all that money with him once he died. IMO, the lesson is to maximize whatever enjoyment one finds in life depending on one's financial condition. Actually, that's the lesson my Personal Finance professor taught me when I was attending a federal academy many decades ago. If one is like my ex they will find satisfaction watching one's bank account grow while denying themselves a nicer home, nicer vehicle, nice boat, vacation, education, etc. It worked for her. Others like to gamble (lottery), drink, party, remodel a perfectly good home. Get the best deal on a vehicle. You get the gist: We can't take it with us. Instead of waiting until I die to leave all my assets to my family, I've decided to share some of my pleasures with them while I'm alive. Enjoy life as best as one can afford while one is healthy. Jaguars are part of my pleasure and that of many others on this forum. :-)

Old 12-21-2023, 06:54 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

This reminds me of a comment made by the footballer Goerge Best: "I spent most of my fortune on wine, women and song, but I wasted the rest".

Ichi Ban (12-21-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 02:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is much of this will depend on where you live, I am in the greater Boston area and there are several JLR dealerships around, at least for now. As an owner of a 2021 XF I am very grateful to own it. It has exceeded our expectations and we bought it right before the world shut down and things tightened up. Also Jaguar has been very consistent with OTA software updates as recently as last week. I’m sure that the transition Jag is going through will make owning this car more difficult as time goes on, but in my case it’s my wife’s car and sees very little use, hence 9000 miles on the odometer as of today. Owning an “orphan “ brand can be tricky for sure. I owned several Saabs before they went to sleep, the last was a 2010 9-5 that I held onto for awhile but parts started to dry up and owning it became unpractical, not sure if the same will occur for the Jag. I’m in the same mindset as Ichi Ban is, “the perfect financial plan is the check to the undertaker bounces”.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Jaguar have essentially kissed all their existing customers goodbye, every single one. In a fit of complete and utter madness, they seem to think existing Jaguar buyers will rush to buy their new electric model (it's only one model initially, BTW), at a price that will be well north of $100,000. Here in the UK the price has been stated as going to be well over £100,000, (= $127,000), but we have quite heavy sales taxation on new cars. Apparently the new car is "stunning". Well, I'll believe it when I see it.
Even their existing electric car, the I-Pace is also to be abandoned, and presumably the owners of that too.

I suppose they are only following the money, which is all in SUVs at the moment. Their Land Rover vehicles are generating huge profits at the moment.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 12-27-2023 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

I believe the touted switch to EVs in the industry is premature. Ford, GMC, and other manufacturers are winding down their EV builds and have lots full of them. Buick dumped its' EV line entirely. Manufacturers feel duped by the government giving them unrealistic growth numbers, EVs are less reliable according to Consumer Reports, range anxiety, take forever to repair, insurance premiums are higher than ICE cars, and lack of charging stations all add to the slowdown. The low hanging EV buyers are done and if you don't have access to home home charging it can be a problem finding an empty charge station.. EVs are wonderful when used in their niche environment and can be charge overnight at your home and I think superior to ICE vehicles for short trips. But if you don't fit the EV ownership criteria you're asking for trouble.

erndog (12-27-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 12:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I own a 2016 XF Prestige with 42,000 wonderful miles on it. Have had no significant issues with it and look forward to many more years of enjoyment. As for future parts availability.....you name it, Ford, Chevrolet, Audi, Porsche...on and on....parts these days are a major problem for most all manufacturers. I work in the auto repair industry and have heard all the nightmares. How about a one year old GMC SUV with an 8 month waiting list for water pumps. Silly things like plastic fender logo's, plastic Cadillac grills....all but unavailable in some cases. How about a new Z06 C8 Corvette....well over $100 and try and find a replacement seat belt retractor to replace a faulty one. Sadly, the current state we're in.

As for EV's.....major problems loom with the maddening rush to electrify our transportation lives to "save the earth". Battery fires are a significant issue as these vehicles age or, God forbid, get too wet. Batteries are easily damaged so it's not uncommon to find that a slightly damaged vehicle is totaled due to compromising possible damage to the battery. Outlandish costs to replace some battery systems. EV's are highly dependent on rare earth materials that, at the moment, leave us at the mercy of China. The second largest source of needed graphite is China and they have announced reducing availability to US battery suppliers.

Ask GM and Ford how EV sales are going these days! Too expensive (even with US taxpayer subsidies) and only modest demand. I fear Jaguar's rush to totally embrace EV's will lead to the firm's return to a shaky financial standing or (gulp) demise in the end.

In the meantime I'll continue to relish driving my XF and cruising about in my '64 E roadster. Thinking of buying an XF? Find a nice low mileage model and go for it.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts

just do your maintenance 5 thousand mile oil changes and change these parts in the video and you will be good

Old 03-24-2024, 06:58 PM
Default XF Jaguar sports sedan

Hello, with regards to ur interest in purchasing a 2024 XF, I would recommend the vehicle as I have purchased two in the last 2 years and I was pleased with both vehicles..I traded the initial vehicle,a 2022, for an f pace suv but realized that I preferred a sedan and bought another XF...I purchased a p300 r dynamic in black with chrome trim red leather and 20" wheels...I am very satisfied with the quality and the attention to details the vehicle provides...it rides beautifully and handles well too..with about 300 hp it has all the power I would need...this is the last year of build for the car as JLR plans to build only electric vehicles starting about mid year 2025...they are already starting to dismantle certain areas of engine production etc...the replacement electric vehicles will be almost double the price of my vehicle which was about 60k US...if u search on line you'll probably find something close to what u want especially if ur willing to travel to purchase or have shipped to u...the company has many fossil fuel vehicles under warranty so I would concern myself too much regarding the warranty coverage...they will service the vehicle as JLR pays for the service for 60k and/or 5 years..Good luck on ur search!

Old 03-24-2024, 07:01 PM
Default XF Jaguar sports sedan

Hello, with regards to ur interest in purchasing a 2024 XF, I would recommend the vehicle as I have purchased two in the last 2 years and I was pleased with both vehicles..I traded the initial vehicle,a 2022, for an f pace suv but realized that I preferred a sedan and bought another XF...I purchased a p300 r dynamic in black with chrome trim red leather and 20" wheels...I am very satisfied with the quality and the attention to details the vehicle provides...it rides beautifully and handles well too..with about 300 hp it has all the power I would need...this is the last year of build for the car as JLR plans to build only electric vehicles starting about mid year 2025...they are already starting to dismantle certain areas of engine production etc...the replacement electric vehicles will be almost double the price of my vehicle which was about 60k US...if u search on line you'll probably find something close to what u want especially if ur willing to travel to purchase or have shipped to u...the company has many fossil fuel vehicles under warranty so I wouldn't concern myself too much regarding the warranty coverage...they will service the vehicle as JLR pays for the service for 60k and/or 5 years..Good luck on ur search!