XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Coolant leak dealer estimate 4k

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Coolant leak dealer estimate 4k

Hi Guys,

Went in for my usual 50k service and the dealer has suggested the following things for coolant leak
Replace coolant manifold (Found Coolant manifold leaking) $839.76
Replace Y-Pipes (Found Coolant manifold leaking) $2,139.24
water pump (Found Coolant manifold leaking) $1,375.93

Out of which the extended warranty is covering the water pump.
Does this look ok to you guys?
Also, a coolant leak was detected a year back which they fixed. Its surprising its happening again

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2021, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I would be querying why only the water pump is covered, and also a breakdown of the costs, If this is a Jaguar main agent they are obliged to use parts supplied by Jaguar, at Jaguar prices, but they are also obliged to keep to Jaguar times for the job. Main agents have the highest labour rates as you no doubt already know,

Old 05-25-2021, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I would be querying why only the water pump is covered, and also a breakdown of the costs, If this is a Jaguar main agent they are obliged to use parts supplied by Jaguar, at Jaguar prices, but they are also obliged to keep to Jaguar times for the job. Main agents have the highest labour rates as you no doubt already know,
​​​​​​The jaguar agent told me the company with whom the policy is is saying that they don't cover those parts with the extended warranty.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to the Forums Prados!

YOUR PROFILE INDICATES X250 (2015).

But doesn't specify which engine?

If failed, yours would be the first recorded failure here of AJ813909...

Old 05-25-2021, 08:37 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

What are the symptons of the coolant leak?
Presumably, as this was apparently noticed by the dealer only when you took the car in for a routine service, you'd not yourself noticed a leak, drop in expansion tank coolant level or overheating?
In which case I would ask the dealer what synp[tons of a coolant leak he has found. It does to me sound like a dealer trying to talk-up work required.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:28 PM

They said that they noticed some drops in the engine..im not sure if that was left due to the previous leak they fixed.
But it is normal for extended warranty to not cover this kind of things?

Old 05-25-2021, 07:53 PM

Hi again Prados,

1. Can you specify if your '15 is under a 6 or 7 year CPO / 100k Jaguar Warranty or a 3rd party like Endurance or Carshield?
If 3rd, which company?

2. Or if still under the last few months of the original 60month/60k mile Warranty?

3. Which engine does your x250 have?

Last edited by F1Virginia; 05-25-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:20 PM

Hi F1Virginia

1. It is 3rd party Allegiance Administrators but got it from the dealer.
2. I only have 50k miles on the car right now. Do you think my original warranty would be valid?
3. It's the XF 3.0L V6 340 bhp engine

Old 05-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Welcome to the Forums Prados!

YOUR PROFILE INDICATES X250 (2015).

But doesn't specify which engine?

If failed, yours would be the first recorded failure here of AJ813909...
No, I'd have him beat by at least nine months and I don't think I was first. I'm pretty sure I read of at least one before me. However, I suspect its not the pump at fault as the issue still persists after eight revisions. Rather I think there's something else about the design of the cooling system and the pump shaft seal is simply the weakest lock in the jail.

The crossover pipes are a big job, but the water pump is dead simple to replace (although maybe I've gotten way too much practice). If I can do a water pump in 3 hours, they can do it in one. If the warranty doesn't cover something you need to stay far away from the Jaguar dealer, because they're going to do it in an hour and charge you five or whatever the "book" says.

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default repair cost

Originally Posted by pdupler
No, I'd have him beat by at least nine months and I don't think I was first. I'm pretty sure I read of at least one before me. However, I suspect its not the pump at fault as the issue still persists after eight revisions. Rather I think there's something else about the design of the cooling system and the pump shaft seal is simply the weakest lock in the jail.

The crossover pipes are a big job, but the water pump is dead simple to replace (although maybe I've gotten way too much practice). If I can do a water pump in 3 hours, they can do it in one. If the warranty doesn't cover something you need to stay far away from the Jaguar dealer, because they're going to do it in an hour and charge you five or whatever the "book" says.
>>>>>>>> Has anyone found where the leak is or are they just replacing your entire cooling system? If it is leaking at a gasket have they tried tightening the nearest bolt? If they fixed a leak last year and it is leaking again, they should stand by the quality of last year's job. Is there an independent mechanic anywhere near you who can look at this and advise you? Is there anything wrong with the parts they are replacing? How do they know if any of those parts are bad.?>>>>>>>>>>>
P.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Prados,
Any Jag dealer can run your VIN and tell you the warranty end date; either original 60 or cpo 100.

My bovine fecal antennae go up whenever "wholesale system replacements" are suggested.
Especially to fix a single, unseen leak.

In fact, whereas only the pump itself ( $243 ) is presumed covered, this throws a huge flag, imho.

CarsonCitySmith (05-26-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 259 Posts

Shotgun service. If they can't tell you where it's leaking from then they don't know and are just guessing. Or, they are simply taking advantage of you because they can.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Shotgun service. If they can't tell you where it's leaking from then they don't know and are just guessing. Or, they are simply taking advantage of you because they can.
Mechanics in general know that 99 out of 100 customers have absolutely no idea how an engine works or any other system of the car and that they can usually get away with saying anything. And further, that 85 out of the 99 will just say "go ahead" because they just want their car back ASAP and don't want to spend time to take it to another place for a second opinion. That's why its important to find a good, honest indy mechanic that you can trust or better yet, learn to DIY after your Jaguar (or any car really) is out of warranty.

However, in this case, we have plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the working theory that PA66 Nylon material that much of the recommended tubes and pipes are made from is softened over time and accelerated with heat by the corrosion inhibitor 2-ethylhexanoic acid in the DexCool. Its six years old now and by ten you're driving around with a vial of nitro glycerin strapped to every pipe and just waiting to hit a big enough bump. If its got a lot of miles on it too, then they actually might be giving some good preventative maintenance advice. It just sounded to me like they looked up the book times to replace each item individually and added them up, but really, they can do all of it much more efficiently. For instance, they don't have to drain and refill the cooling system three times but they were quoting him for that.

F1Virginia (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Mechanics in general know that 99 out of 100 customers have absolutely no idea how an engine works or any other system of the car and that they can usually get away with saying anything. And further, that 85 out of the 99 will just say "go ahead" because they just want their car back ASAP and don't want to spend time to take it to another place for a second opinion. That's why its important to find a good, honest indy mechanic that you can trust or better yet, learn to DIY after your Jaguar (or any car really) is out of warranty.

However, in this case, we have plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the working theory that PA66 Nylon material that much of the recommended tubes and pipes are made from is softened over time and accelerated with heat by the corrosion inhibitor 2-ethylhexanoic acid in the DexCool. Its six years old now and by ten you're driving around with a vial of nitro glycerin strapped to every pipe and just waiting to hit a big enough bump. If its got a lot of miles on it too, then they actually might be giving some good preventative maintenance advice. It just sounded to me like they looked up the book times to replace each item individually and added them up, but really, they can do all of it much more efficiently. For instance, they don't have to drain and refill the cooling system three times but they were quoting him for that.
+1 to all you said but I have a problem with their diagnostic method, or I should say lack of it. Might be the pump and that's covered? Replace it and go from there. I find it hard to believe they can't determine if it's the pump or not though. I also find it hard to believe an extended warranty doesn't cover everything mentioned. What did they do to fix the leak last year? That's on record. Did they shotgun it that time and replace everything? Why this time? Did they miss something last time because they didn't like the warranty repair time allotted to remove the supercharger and look? I would be having a serious (but nice) conversation with the service manager.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Well those plastic parts are known failure items so I would not be too surprised that they need replacement. Prices seem way high but it is all dependent on where you live and your dealer.
Be aware there is also a rear water manifold that requires the SC to be removed so you might want to get it replaced now to save another repair down the road?

Do you know if the plastic Y pipe was replaced when the water pump was done? I could not tell if the pump has been replaced but you did say they fixed a leak last year?
What all was replaced during that repair?

Old 06-03-2021, 08:15 AM

We still don't know if Prados' x250 is still under any Jaguar Warranty... CPO or Factory.

Presuming neither owing to the Allegiance 3rd Party he mentioned..

Gonna go check x250 forum to see if he's been engaging there rather than here these past 8 silent days..

Fwiw..
Allegiance (Drive Protect) doesn't look too positive..

Last edited by F1Virginia; 06-03-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Seems the whole extended warranty industry is suspect. I've read some of those contracts and the lists of what they don't cover is much, much longer than the lists of what they do cover. To me, it seems that one just shouldn't choose to drive a car like Jaguar out of the factory warranty if one can't afford to cover at least a $5,000 repair in cash or DIY. It's been in the news lately about how the average American can't cover a $400 emergency without a credit card and I bet there's people like that out there driving far more expensive and exotic cars than an old XF.

But its crazy how the extended warranty psyche is so pervasive. When I buy a $30 tool at Harbor Freight, they always ask me if I want to buy an extended warranty. If the tool is that suspect or you can't absorb a $30 loss, then you need to go to Home Depot and buy the $50 name-brand version (and they'll ask you if you want a warranty). It's just nuts. I wish I had thought of it and started a warranty business. Maybe I should offer warranties on forum advice? You follow the advice on a car forum and blow up your engine, we replace it for free. Oh, but wait, you didn't do it within the first 24 hours after posting or you didn't do it EXACTLY the way they said! I could be a billionaire!

F1Virginia (06-05-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

You are right and extended warranties are very profitable just because of the reasons you list.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:36 AM

As Is often the case, it appears OP is a "1 & Done"?

No posts or even logged in since that 1st day..
I just don't get it..
Post for help then not follow back to see the advice?