XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Engine noise (supercharger?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine noise (supercharger?)

Hi!

Could somebody suggest what should be replaced in order to get rid of this noise? Does it look like it's timing chain?

Engine - 3.0 SC

Old 06-05-2022, 07:04 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Some questions here.
Do hear the noise when you start the engine in the morning and then disappears?
Did you have the car serviced recently like an oil change?

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 06-05-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 255 Posts

I don't hear anything unusual. Sounds normal to me with the hood up and engine cover removed.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Some questions here.
Do hear the noise when you start the engine in the morning and then disappears?
Did you have the car serviced recently like an oil change?
Hi!
No any noise similar to this one in the morning
Hmm, yeah exactly, i just changed/replaced an oil before (few minutes ago)

How did you identify that? What usually sounds like that after an oil change?

Old 06-11-2022, 02:22 PM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Necromant1k
Hi!
No any noise similar to this one in the morning
Hmm, yeah exactly, i just changed/replaced an oil before (few minutes ago)

How did you identify that? What usually sounds like that after an oil change?
An engine noise or ticking noise after an oil change comes in several factors. First one, is a change in oil brand that has different additives in it compared to the previous brand. This is true on some engines that are very picky of the oil you put in. Revert to the old brand. Always use Full Synthetic. Second factor is the oil filter. When the filter is fresh (no oil in filament) it takes time to be filled with oil upon engine start up making it slower to lubricate engine parts and thus contributing to engine noise at start up. What I do is soak the new cartridge type filter with fresh engine oil inside a ziplock plastic bag before installation. On spin-on, just fill the center opening with fresh oil. If the noise never goes away, then the filter is defective or counterfeit. Third factor is, the oil is too thick or too thin. Not the right viscosity as required by the manufacturer. If your car’s engine has more than 75K mi (120K km) to it, then it requires High Mileage, but then again, all HM engine oil sold in USA does not have Jaguar approval on it. I don’t know the oil specs in EU or the country you live in.

I would suggest doing a short OCI (oil change interval) of 5K mi or 8K km. It is by far too short than the Jaguar’s requirement, but, hey it is an assurance that your engine will lasts much much longer. Oil is cheap & changing it takes less than 30 minutes if you are using a fluid extractor. And lastly, drive your car conservatively and you'll have less engine problems in the long run. Good luck

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 06-11-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

... Oil is cheap & changing it takes less than 30 minutes if you are using a fluid extractor.....
It's not as cheap as getting an oil analysis to find out what's really happening in your motor and it takes 5 minutes to gather and mail. Changing your oil often won't tell you if there's any excessive water, metal particles, anti freeze, or if your oil is even doing its' job. It's a false sense of security, wastes time, wastes money, wastes resources.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:11 PM

An engine noise or ticking noise after an oil change comes in several factors. First one, is a change in oil brand that has different additives in it compared to the previous brand. This is true on some engines that are very picky of the oil you put in. Revert to the old brand. Always use Full Synthetic. Second factor is the oil filter. When the filter is fresh (no oil in filament) it takes time to be filled with oil upon engine start up making it slower to lubricate engine parts and thus contributing to engine noise at start up. What I do is soak the new cartridge type filter with fresh engine oil inside a ziplock plastic bag before installation. On spin-on, just fill the center opening with fresh oil. If the noise never goes away, then the filter is defective or counterfeit. Third factor is, the oil is too thick or too thin. Not the right viscosity as required by the manufacturer. If your car’s engine has more than 75K mi (120K km) to it, then it requires High Mileage, but then again, all HM engine oil sold in USA does not have Jaguar approval on it. I don’t know the oil specs in EU or the country you live in.

I would suggest doing a short OCI (oil change interval) of 5K mi or 8K km. It is by far too short than the Jaguar’s requirement, but, hey it is an assurance that your engine will lasts much much longer. Oil is cheap & changing it takes less than 30 minutes if you are using a fluid extractor. And lastly, drive your car conservatively and you'll have less engine problems in the long run. Good luck
Yeah, probably it's due to "empty" oil filter. I dont hear this noise after few days, so it's all good.

Anyways, thank you for a great explanation and for the help!

Old 06-14-2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
It's not as cheap as getting an oil analysis to find out what's really happening in your motor and it takes 5 minutes to gather and mail. Changing your oil often won't tell you if there's any excessive water, metal particles, anti freeze, or if your oil is even doing its' job. It's a false sense of security, wastes time, wastes money, wastes resources.
Yeah, probably replacing oil every 8k KM is "too much", but i think it's way better than driving 30K km as per the Jaguar Spec

Old 06-15-2022, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Just a note? Jaguar has installed anti-drain back valves in these modern engines that have the oil filter on top of the engine. This prevents the engine from starting dry as everything is full up to the filter.

One thing to watch for is we have had several guys report these valves can fail and then you are starting dry. So when you change the oil filter make sure it has some oil puddled in the bottom. This is a sign that the valves are holding and there is oil at start up.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Necromant1k
Yeah, probably replacing oil every 8k KM is "too much", but i think it's way better than driving 30K km as per the Jaguar Spec
I don't know, have you ever analyzed the oil in one of these motors at 30K? I've had synthetic oil analyzed at 15k miles (different motor) and it still had well over half the additive properties remaining with below average metal wear. That's the indication of how well its' doing its' job, not time. The X260 calls for yearly changes. I had mine analyzed at 5k miles, one year, and the oil was almost like fresh. I'm old school and use to change oil every 5K miles before synthetic became normal and I started analyzing it in all my cars.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Depends on how brave you are?
Can you say timing tensioners?
Change it when you want but the best example was Bigg Will who had a 2010 XFR and drove it very hard. He changed the oil every 2000 miles with Walmart Synthetic oil. Yes he did not use Castrol. He sold the XFR at 110K miles with all the original timing gear.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Agreed with oil change complications as the culprit.
The supercharger noise is not that rhythmic, if that makes sense, and is lower pitched. A knocking more than a tapping, and it isn't in sync with the engine, and in the early stages will be kind of irregular. An XKR guy said it sounded like a "bag of rocks" knocking around in the supercharger and that's pretty accurate. Also... nowhere near as urgent an issue as the engine running a little dry. I've heard of guys that live with the "bag of rocks" for like a year. Needs to be addressed, if it happens to you, but not as bad as it sounds.