XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Engine Oil Level Critically Low

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Level Critically Low

Hi all,
I have a peculiar problem with my Jag (X260) XF. Every now and then (at random times) I recieve an error message "Engine Oil Level Critically Low" on the dash. I checked it with one of the dealers in Bristol but they couldn't find any problems when they ran a diagnostic. The engineer suggested to change oil pressure switch to see if that could resolve the issue. So I went ahead and requested to change it but with no joy. I then took to another dealership and the engineer suggested it could be a piston cooling jet but not sure about it (We went into lockdown so I couldn't get that done). Nonetheless, I took the car for service (major 105,000 miles service) to the dealership and they ran eVHS service but the system did not find any faults. The car shows everything is running fine with no historic issues from the system.

I am wondering, does anyone here have had same experience and if yes then what did you do to fix/correct it?

The error pops up at random, there is no fix time or method of running that would trigger it. Can you also recommend where I can buy JLR diagnostic kit so that I can run it myself?

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

Jay

Old 01-30-2021, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

So now you have had the 105k service down, the oil level should be correct, yes ? I suppose it's got the stupid electronic oil level system which is totally unnecessary. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is better than a dip stick. Even when the Rover 90s and 105s had an oil level indicator, the dipstick was still provided

The following users liked this post:
Carson City Smith (08-20-2023)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hello Jay..
Which engine is in your 65 plate?

Last edited by F1Virginia; 01-31-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jaytheguru
.... The car shows everything is running fine with no historic issues from the system.
Any motor temperature rise when this happens? Does the warning go away on it's own? Do you need to cycle off/on for it to go away? What does the oil level check show when you get this warning? Does the motor use oil between changes? If the level check says it's OK, motor doesn't use oil, oil pressure switch has been replaced, warning comes and goes on it's own, no temperature rise, I would guess a spurious system response and I doubt a diagnostic tool will show anything.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't see how a oil pressure switch should affect the oil level reading. They require you to turn the engine off for 10 or 15 minutes before you get the oil level reading on your display panel, that should be to let the oil drain and settle and for any oil pressure to disappear.
The lack of a dipstick is quite annoying.
Get an independent mechanic to suck all your oil out, measure the amount and put it back in. That is the only way I can guess to confirm the visual interface on your dash board display.
Do report back with any developments.
P. Smith

Old 02-01-2021, 05:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I'm NOT familiar with the X260 so this could be irrelevant or jibberish.

On my XK which also has no dipstick and relies on Instrument Pack oil level monitoring and warning, the oil temperature and level sensor is a combined unit. Is the X260 similar?

Graham

Old 02-01-2021, 12:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Is the oil temperature and level sensor in an X260 a combined unit?

Graham
It is unclear..
Although the Vehicle Fitment Guide Section only includes the 3.0L from the XE, there is null return on searching for Oil Temperature Sensor on the AJ126..

But here is the Pressure Sensor:
https://parts.jaguarhiltonhead.com/o...witch-aj813129

The Oil Level Sensor is:
https://parts.jaguarvirginiabeach.com/oem-parts/jaguar-level-sensor-aj812432

Last edited by F1Virginia; 02-01-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Hello Jay..
Which engine is in your 65 plate?
Hi it’s a 2ltr diesel engine

Old 02-01-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Any motor temperature rise when this happens? Does the warning go away on it's own? Do you need to cycle off/on for it to go away? What does the oil level check show when you get this warning? Does the motor use oil between changes? If the level check says it's OK, motor doesn't use oil, oil pressure switch has been replaced, warning comes and goes on it's own, no temperature rise, I would guess a spurious system response and I doubt a diagnostic tool will show anything.
Hi mleskovar, you are right from “if the level check says it’s ok ....... “ what is a spurious system response mean?

Old 02-01-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by CarsonCitySmith
I can't see how a oil pressure switch should affect the oil level reading. They require you to turn the engine off for 10 or 15 minutes before you get the oil level reading on your display panel, that should be to let the oil drain and settle and for any oil pressure to disappear.
The lack of a dipstick is quite annoying.
Get an independent mechanic to suck all your oil out, measure the amount and put it back in. That is the only way I can guess to confirm the visual interface on your dash board display.
Do report back with any developments.
P. Smith
Hi P.Smith, the service that I got it done included engine oil change and the dealer changed it with Castrol edge professional 0w20 7.02ltr with oil transmission change at 9ltr also included oil filter, oil drain plug, particle filter, belt drive, antifreeze, brake fluid and adblue change.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm NOT familiar with the X260 so this could be irrelevant or jibberish.

On my XK which also has no dipstick and relies on Instrument Pack oil level monitoring and warning, the oil temperature and level sensor is a combined unit. Is the X260 similar?

Graham
I don’t know, how do I find that out please?

Old 02-01-2021, 01:57 PM

Hi it’s a 2ltr diesel engine
The model is XF Prestige D Auto 2 let diesel Jaguar type JB, variant D, Version 501
kind regards
Jay

Old 02-01-2021, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

.. ....... “ what is a spurious system response mean?
False. In other words, don't worry about it. Especially if it's highly intermittent and all the motor health indicators are OK. You could go broke guessing with parts replacement.

jaytheguru (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 05:42 PM
GGG

The model is XF Prestige D Auto 2 let diesel Jaguar type JB, variant D, Version 501
kind regards
Jay
Jay,

According to JEPC, the X250 2.2 litre Diesel has an oil level sensor in the bottom of the sump but the X260 2.0 litre Diesel has a dipstick. Both were available in 2015 so which is it?

Graham

Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Jay,

According to JEPC, the X250 2.2 litre Diesel has an oil level sensor in the bottom of the sump but the X260 2.0 litre Diesel has a dipstick. Both were available in 2015 so which is it?

Graham
Hi Graham,

I believe it is X260 2.0ltr diesel, definitely not X250 as the log shows it as x260. Here is more info when I put my reg into one of car parts website,Make:
Jaguar

Model:
XF

Year:

Type:
2.0 D

Engine:
1999ccm 163HP 120KW (Diesel)

Variant:
X260 [Saloon]

Transmission:
Automatic

Engine Number:
151104W0041204DT

Engine Code:
204DTD
kind regards

Jay

Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 PM
GGG

Jay,

My 2019 version of JEPC doesn't list an Oil Level Sensor for the 2015 X260 2.0 litre Diesel but British Parts UK sell one for it which must be right!

They show it's the same as the one on my XK and is bolted into the bottom of the sump. Yours is likely to have a bad harness connection or be a faulty sensor to cause the intermittent "Engine Oil Level Critically Low" message.

Graham

F1Virginia (02-03-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 08:14 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Deleting the engine oil dipstick must be the stupidest design decision made by engine designers - and it's not just Jaguar either - Audi and Mercedes have done it also. It can't save much, if any, money and in fact the electronic indicator will likely be more expensive.
Without a dipstick and after an engine oil change you have to carefully measure the quantity of new oil into the engine and you can't check it until running the engine, turning it off and letting the electronic indicator confirm (you hope!) the level. What a faff - with a dipstick you just add the oil in increments, checking with the dipstick until it's full.
And when you get a low level oil warning when driving you've no independent way of checking the oil level without a dipstick, so are left in doubt about how much oil (if any) you need to add for what is a critical matter for the engine.
The lack of a dipstick would seriously put me off buying a car - luckily Jaguar have retained the dipstick on the Ingenium 4 cylinder engines. I don't know why they've deleted it on some of the larger engines - it smacks of wanting to demonstrate the manufacturer doesn't expect its customers to do anything "oily".

Old 02-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chrisjp
Deleting the engine oil dipstick must be the stupidest design decision made by engine designers - and it's not just Jaguar either - Audi and Mercedes have done it also. It can't save much, if any, money and in fact the electronic indicator will likely be more expensive.
Without a dipstick and after an engine oil change you have to carefully measure the quantity of new oil into the engine and you can't check it until running the engine, turning it off and letting the electronic indicator confirm (you hope!) the level. What a faff - with a dipstick you just add the oil in increments, checking with the dipstick until it's full.
And when you get a low level oil warning when driving you've no independent way of checking the oil level without a dipstick, so are left in doubt about how much oil (if any) you need to add for what is a critical matter for the engine.
The lack of a dipstick would seriously put me off buying a car - luckily Jaguar have retained the dipstick on the Ingenium 4 cylinder engines. I don't know why they've deleted it on some of the larger engines - it smacks of wanting to demonstrate the manufacturer doesn't expect its customers to do anything "oily".
The advantages of an electronic oil level indicator outweigh the disadvantages. I would say the majority of car owners/drivers today couldn't even tell you what a dip stick is, what one looks like, how to locate it, how to use it, or even bother to check their oil level. Today's cars rarely burn or lose oil so the need is lower. Most people today know how to navigate a digital menu. An electronic oil level indicator can warn you if the oil is approaching dangerously low while you're driving not just that the pressure is low like a dash light, which are still used. On the X260 if you check your oil level before starting the car .... by pushing the start button without your foot on the brake -> menu -> vehicle information -> oil level ...... you don't have to wait the ten minutes like you do after shutting down the engine. The 10 minute wait after motor shut down is the worse part of the X260 oil level indicator but once it returns a reading you can fill and check level until it's correct. And you can do all your oil checking quickly from the driver's seat.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by mleskovar
The advantages of an electronic oil level indicator outweigh the disadvantages.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Jay,

My 2019 version of JEPC doesn't list an Oil Level Sensor for the 2015 X260 2.0 litre Diesel but British Parts UK sell one for it which must be right!

They show it's the same as the one on my XK and is bolted into the bottom of the sump. Yours is likely to have a bad harness connection or be a faulty sensor to cause the intermittent "Engine Oil Level Critically Low" message.

Graham
thank you so much Graham,
do you think this can be changed by jacking up the car or should I call Jaguar showroom to do the job? Hopefully this sensor can fix the issue. If it’s fairly easy to remove I might try it myself.

kind regards

Jay

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Level Critically Low