XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Engine Oil Level Critically Low

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the message (Engine oil critically low) yet again yesterday when I parked the car and I quickly plugged in my OBDII and found the two error codes

1. P0341 - Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, Bank 1 - range/performance problem
2. P25A9(00) - Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear

am I right to think Jag might have cleared this code as I never ran an OBDII scanner before on this car so am surprised that this came up. I did enquire if they found any issues during a full service and they said everything was fine.

many thanks everyone for your continuous help.

kind regards

Jay

Old 02-13-2021, 10:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jaytheguru

I had the message (Engine oil critically low) yet again yesterday when I parked the car and I quickly plugged in my OBDII and found the two error codes

1. P0341 - Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, Bank 1 - range/performance problem.

Jay

Hi again..
Here is the closest forum post I found relating to your code and original oil level message...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1725340

Interesting thread in relation to your situation..

Also, how old is your current battery?

Old 02-14-2021, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

[QUOTE=jaytheguru;2353237....am I right to think Jag might have cleared this code as I never ran an OBDII scanner before on this car so am surprised that this came up. I did enquire if they found any issues during a full service and they said everything was fine.....[/QUOTE]

Assumption. Now that you have cleared it wait for another low oil message and see if it comes back. Unfortunately many mechanics (dealers especially) aren't paid to do what's best for the customer. That takes time that they aren't paid for.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Hi again..
Here is the closest forum post I found relating to your code and original oil level message...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1725340

Interesting thread in relation to your situation..

Also, how old is your current battery?
Thank you so much. The battery is brand new, I bought a Varta G14 Silver Dynamic AGM Type 019 because my old battery stopped making the car to go on start/stop so I changed it. The only issue I found since replacing it is the app on my mobile doesn't let me start the car anymore. It says "Vehicle not secure. Check security status". But apart from that its been running fine.
Kind regardsJay

Old 02-16-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Assumption. Now that you have cleared it wait for another low oil message and see if it comes back. Unfortunately many mechanics (dealers especially) aren't paid to do what's best for the customer. That takes time that they aren't paid for.
I didn't clear the codes but instead just took the screenshot of them on my phone. I also emailed the Jaguar dealership as am not happy. I agree with you, they spend less time and more mistakes by looks of it.
Kindest regards
Jay

Old 02-16-2021, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't clear the codes .......
Always write them down then clear the codes. It's the only way to know if you have a spurious response or a solid failure and the frequency.

The following users liked this post:
jaytheguru (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:52 PM

Always write them down then clear the codes. It's the only way to know if you have a spurious response or a solid failure and the frequency.
Ok I will run the OBDII again and clear them. I did have a call back from Jaguar dealership and the gentleman said it could be the cam timing that they need to check and it will be just about 2.5hrs and will cost me £450 to just check it. I am not sure if this is something I should take a hit. If he would have said we’ll check and fix it, I wouldn’t have mind booking the car but just for checking it, it’s way too much. He also said P03401 is a generic code and should be ignored (I thought, really!!).

will keep you all posted with my findings, thank you so much for supporting and helping me.

kind regards

Jay

Old 02-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

.... it could be the cam timing that they need to check and it will be just about 2.5hrs and will cost me £450 to just check it.....
Disclaimer..... I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but I call BS on this. The only "timing" involved is making sure the cam is installed correctly and if it wasn't you'd be getting major performance and starting issues. Someone correct me on this if I'm off base. And if it was off I don't see how that could have anything to do with low oil notification anyway. The suggestion to drain (include replacing filter) and fill with known amount to check calibration of sensor may be in order. At least it won't cost a lot to find out.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:17 AM

Disclaimer..... I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but I call BS on this. The only "timing" involved is making sure the cam is installed correctly and if it wasn't you'd be getting major performance and starting issues. Someone correct me on this if I'm off base. And if it was off I don't see how that could have anything to do with low oil notification anyway. The suggestion to drain (include replacing filter) and fill with known amount to check calibration of sensor may be in order. At least it won't cost a lot to find out.
On the second call from them, that £450 shot up to £550-£2500 with three days to keep the car!!. I think they don't know what they are doing and am not happy with them. So I am ignoring their stupidity but I can tell the engine light hasn't come on nor the oil critically low since my last post but I know for a fact that oil critical low will appear later on at random. I am almost incline to order the sensor as mentioned by Graham and maybe find someone to replace it for me.
Kind regardsJay

Old 07-26-2021, 03:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the second call from them, that £450 shot up to £550-£2500 with three days to keep the car!!. I think they don't know what they are doing and am not happy with them. So I am ignoring their stupidity but I can tell the engine light hasn't come on nor the oil critically low since my last post but I know for a fact that oil critical low will appear later on at random. I am almost incline to order the sensor as mentioned by Graham and maybe find someone to replace it for me.
Kind regardsJay
Did you ever manage to find out the reason the error was showing. It started to happen to my 65 plate XF x260 2l ingenium diesel yesterday

Old 07-26-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ere0839
Did you ever manage to find out the reason the error was showing. It started to happen to my 65 plate XF x260 2l ingenium diesel yesterday
no, nothing has worked in fact I paid £270 to the dealer and had absolutely no service at all but got charged for it. The issue is intermittent so when I parked the car after travelling it came on but when the lady drove from parking bay to service place (just turning into the service bay) the error message went away. They still charged me even though they said no error could be seen as it didn’t appear and their system showed no history of it. I lost my money and still hadn’t had any solution. I am still using the car with no issues (apart from random signs of this).

sorry can’t help but just advise, do not take to the dealer .

kind regards

Jay

Old 07-27-2021, 02:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for replying, Mine hasn't showed any codes on an OBDii scanner and the message doesn't show from a cold start. But after using the car it shows on a warm start, I can make the message go just by touching the throttle. Oil level is fine. I guess there is some sensor giving a false reading, may try changing my battery as the stop/start is very temperamental again and new battery fixed that about 3 years ago

Old 09-12-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ere0839
Thanks for replying, Mine hasn't showed any codes on an OBDii scanner and the message doesn't show from a cold start. But after using the car it shows on a warm start, I can make the message go just by touching the throttle. Oil level is fine. I guess there is some sensor giving a false reading, may try changing my battery as the stop/start is very temperamental again and new battery fixed that about 3 years ago
mine does exactly the same, doesn’t come up on cold start only when engine is warm and it comes randomly. I spent £270+ with Jaguar main dealer only to find that they cannot find the issue (they said the car doesn’t keep the error codes and so when they moved the car from parking bay to the service place the error went away and so they couldn’t do anything), they charged me for it though which I felt was wrong but then again we cannot fight with these people.

I had the same issue with start stop and when I replaced the battery it solved the start stop but only for few months and now even when the battery is brand new stop start only works when it feels like it.

this is one of the most problematic cars I have owned.

good luck with yours.

kind regards

Jay

Old 09-15-2021, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jay, dealing with a similar issue since a couple of weeks. The dealer replaced a high pressure hose, but since yesterday I know it didn't resolve the issue.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by AadL
Hi Jay, dealing with a similar issue since a couple of weeks. The dealer replaced a high pressure hose, but since yesterday I know it didn't resolve the issue.
tell me about it. Jaguar dealership seems to have no idea how to fix the issue yet they are quick in charging.

kind regards

Jay

Old 09-15-2021, 01:32 PM

Let's hope my dealer is able to resolve the issue. I've dropped my car of at the dealer this afternoon, so they can work on it all day tomorrow.
I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Can you tell us what high pressure hose was replaced?
Why did they replace it? Was it leaking?

Old 09-16-2021, 03:18 AM

The part number of the hose is T2H19903 (https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...___xf___f_pace )
They told me that a leak in this hose caused the extra oil consumption. I'm non technical, so no clue where this is in the engine bay.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

OK thanks and that is a Diesel only part so we are not familiar with them since they were not sold in the US.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:02 AM

@jaytheguru Last week I received some really bad news from my dealer.
As the 2.0D engine has no oil level sensor but a dip stick, the message may have been triggered by the oil pressure sensor.
The message may have been triggered by either an air bubble in the system or something else that every now and then blocks the oil stream.
As my engine is dealer maintained and I have always checked the oil level regularly and topped it up, they had a look at the oil filter.
The filter had been replaced on the previous maintenance (10K km before).
At first glance they didn't see anything out of the order, but when they cut it open they found metal dust particles in the creases of the filter.
According to the dealer this is a sign that the engine is dying, and they say it is a common issue with this specific type of engine.
The car is just out of warranty and has run only 145K km, which is nothing for a diesel.
An engine replacement by the dealer will cost at least €16K and that is not an option for me.
So I'm either looking at a write-off of €22K or trying to find a replacement engine for a lot less money.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Level Critically Low