XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Engine Oil Level Critically Low

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AadL
@jaytheguru Last week I received some really bad news from my dealer.
As the 2.0D engine has no oil level sensor but a dip stick, the message may have been triggered by the oil pressure sensor.
The message may have been triggered by either an air bubble in the system or something else that every now and then blocks the oil stream.
As my engine is dealer maintained and I have always checked the oil level regularly and topped it up, they had a look at the oil filter.
The filter had been replaced on the previous maintenance (10K km before).
At first glance they didn't see anything out of the order, but when they cut it open they found metal dust particles in the creases of the filter.
According to the dealer this is a sign that the engine is dying, and they say it is a common issue with this specific type of engine.
The car is just out of warranty and has run only 145K km, which is nothing for a diesel.
An engine replacement by the dealer will cost at least €16K and that is not an option for me.
So I'm either looking at a write-off of €22K or trying to find a replacement engine for a lot less money.
That is a very bad news and sorry to hear it has resulted in this way, mine has a dipstick too and I was thinking to change oil myself this time round so definitely will cut my current oil filter to inspect, hopefully mine still have some life left in it. I haven’t changed the oil yet but am hoping to do it when there is some sunshine (rained over night). I always have had it done from the dealer but when I decided to replace the air filter and cabin filter this time myself, I found lots clogged up leaves especially the air filter was filthy (mine had a service few months ago) which made me wonder what do these dealers do?

I hope you find a replacement engine, check over eBay or local scrapyard. Good luck.

kind regards

Jay

Old 09-26-2021, 07:42 AM
Default Check oil level

Hi, apologies if this is not quite the right thread, but is related to engine oil level. I am newbie to this forums site. Just a few weeks purchased my XF 2.0D 180 Prestige, it is the X260 model. This is a 65 plate. Really low mileage, genuine 26,000, one owner.

So I bought myself brake fluid and engine coolant from Jaguar, ordered Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 as per recommendations. Problem - I wanted to check the engine oil level. Read the manual, which says to get oil to temperature, shut off engine, wait 10 mins, switch on ignition only, read oil level for instrument menu. Hmmm, could not see how.

other posts I have read say to open bonnet, turn on ignition, press the trip computer button until you see something about oil level, press cancel button twice and oil reading will
be displayed.

Nope, did not work.

The manual even shows picture of oil level indicator.

When I opened the bonnet I saw dipstick! Looking further in the manual it shows a picture of the engine compartment, and refers to a dipstick ( in correct location for the 2.0D engine).

So what’s going on? The manual refers to electronic oil level check, but I have a dipstick. What’s the score?

For what’s it worth, dipstick is probably still the best way to check oil level.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Lucky you! On the 6 cyl engine it's electronic. Two ways to check it .... Before starting motor push start button without foot on brake and using buttons on dash navigate to Menu > Vehicle Information > Oil Level and level shows up on dash information panel. After motor has been started you have to wait ten minutes but use the same process. Maybe you have both?

Old 09-26-2021, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Lucky you! On the 6 cyl engine it's electronic. Two ways to check it .... Before starting motor push start button without foot on brake and using buttons on dash navigate to Menu > Vehicle Information > Oil Level and level shows up on dash information panel. After motor has been started you have to wait ten minutes but use the same process. Maybe you have both?
Ah right, I see, other posts I have read, and stuff on YouTube, indicate use the trip computer button.

did not (think to) have a look in the dash menu. Will do so. I should have checked first.

will try and report back. But yes, from the various posts I have seen I kind of feel privileged having a real dipstick! Could become a selling point of the car when I decide to sell :-)

Old 09-29-2021, 03:34 PM

Sorry for slow response. Tried this with cold engine, turned on ignition without starting the engine, but I had no Oil Level indicator in the Vehicle Information menu. All I could find was an indication of next due oil service (in miles).

Have not tried with warmed engine and leave for 10 mins or so.

Must be a fault with the system?

Old 09-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bohdanf01
....no Oil Level indicator in the Vehicle Information menu. All I could find was an indication of next due oil service (in miles).

Have not tried with warmed engine and leave for 10 mins or so.

Must be a fault with the system?
You probably don't have an electronic check with the 4 cylinder engine.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:52 PM

You probably don't have an electronic check with the 4 cylinder engine.
Yeah I was thinking I do not have the sensor.

i know these can be retro fitted.

So for now I have the good, old-fashioned dipstick.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pleased to give you all an update and let you know the issue is now resolved. I did replace the oil pressure switch but this didn't fix it, the resolution was to replace the "piston oil cooling jet solenoid" The car was showing fault P25A9-00 after changing the the oil pressure switch. The job of replacing the "piston oil cooling jet solenoid" was a big job as it is located on the side of the engine block and behind the thermostat housing.

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 02:53 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Great thread and post!

Especially so for a newer forum member!

Appreciate the efforts and the solution..
Cheers..

Please detail for us if this was DIY or at a dealer or indy??

What cost breakdown was involved?
Did it take them months to diagnose?

Last edited by F1Virginia; 03-14-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it took a couple of visits to the indy garage that i use for repairs and servicing on the Jag, it was a process of elimination in the end. After changing the oil pressure switch the diagnostic scan left just the one error that would not clear P25A09-00 I paid Ł300 to replace the part, this included purchasing the part from Jaguar. Took my mechanic 2 hours to change it, it involved removing the coolant reservoir and a couple of hoses leading to the thermostat housing. We managed to get the part replaced without having to remove the housing which would have meant replacing gaskets. I've attached some pictures to this post showing the part, part number and progress pictures

the part was located in the hole with oil residue, center of picture

Last edited by Ere0839; 03-15-2022 at 04:52 PM.
paulie21 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-15-2022, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics and details!

At a main agent that would've been brutally overpriced..
Good on your mate!

Old 09-09-2022, 12:10 AM
Default Oil critically low.

Hi, I have the same problem with my 2017 discovery sport 2litre.The sign usually comes up when I have been driving and stop. While the engine is just ticking over sometimes the sign comes up. I did 1400 miles recently 700 towing a caravan and no oil message then the other day I got the message again. My local garage tried a few things but couldn't find a fault. They did change the iol filter incase it was faulty. They said I would have to go to a dealer if it kept occurring. Your story is very helpful, thanks. AL.

AadL (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 04:06 AM

Mine (2.0D AWD, 2017) died last weekend. Turns out the metal particles they found in the oil filter probably came from a failing turbo. It takes awhile before the turbo dies, but while dying it looses bits and pieces which end up in the oil circuit. According to two independent Jaguar experts, it is a common and known issue for the 2.0D X260 engine. Nothing Jaguar is doing about it, and I was just lucky that it only started at 145K kms and it took the engine a year and 20K kms to give up. Replacing the engine and turbo is not an option as with today's prices it will costs at least €15K and there is no guarantee that it will not happen again. I should have sold the car a year ago....

Old 09-14-2022, 07:48 AM

I'm thinking that the 2.0D engine must be the one that is sold the most for the X260. If this particular issue is common, then how many engines have died already and how many owners are dealing with this issue today?

Old 02-25-2023, 06:57 AM
Default P25A9-00 Piston Cooling Oil Jets Solenoid Control - Open Circuit

Originally Posted by Ere0839
I pleased to give you all an update and let you know the issue is now resolved. I did replace the oil pressure switch but this didn't fix it, the resolution was to replace the "piston oil cooling jet solenoid" The car was showing fault P25A9-00 after changing the the oil pressure switch. The job of replacing the "piston oil cooling jet solenoid" was a big job as it is located on the side of the engine block and behind the thermostat housing.

I have the P25A9-00 Piston Cooling Oil Jets Solenoid Control - Open Circuit code and oil level critically low red warning- aftera warm engine restart, disappears when revved. I have the part ordered and independent garage will fit. All together Ł340

Will this cure the 'oil level critically low? What else do i need to watch out for?

Hoping for your prompt reply

Old 02-26-2023, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Is this only on the 2.0L 4 cylinder engine?
I have not heard of it before? I know most if not all of Jaguar's engines do have piston oil squirters but no control of the oil. If the engine is running those jets are spraying oil.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ere0839
I know this is an old thread but I am wondering how your car is currently holding up after the solenoid change? Mine has started with this problem of saying Oil Critically Low after a warm restart, and disappears after touching the accelerator, just like the issue you were facing. I unfortunately cannot get my car in any sooner than the 27th of this month for diagnostics and then the 30th for the work doing (likely the Piston Cooling Jet Solenoid). But I am worried that my car could have already been damaged by the faulty part in the meantime and wondered how long you faced the issue for before the replacement part and how the car is now. Thank you for any response!

Old 07-17-2023, 07:58 PM

Looking for an update as well.
Just got this message for the first time today after coming home from a long drive. 2018 XE 2.0D. seems to be the same engine with the exact same symptoms as everyone else. Tempted to go straight to replacing the Piston Cooling Jet Solenoid as that seems to be the solution most posts are coming too, but would like to know if the issue went away long term.

Old 07-18-2023, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by ALH1993
Looking for an update as well.
Just got this message for the first time today after coming home from a long drive. 2018 XE 2.0D. seems to be the same engine with the exact same symptoms as everyone else. Tempted to go straight to replacing the Piston Cooling Jet Solenoid as that seems to be the solution most posts are coming too, but would like to know if the issue went away long term.
Well I took mine to my local independent after driving only very short and careful trips just in case, and mentioned my issue and said that I'd read it could be the Piston Cooling Jet Solenoid. They put their diagnostics machine on it and the only error code was the Piston Cooling Jet Solenoid - Open Circuit. They replaced it a few days later (30/6/23) and touch wood, it's been absolutely perfect ever since. I've had many long drives since and not had any messages about Oil Level. Hope this helps.

ALH1993 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 12:08 PM

Ordered my part from the dealer. About $400 after tax, $100is more than I could find online, but lead time was much quicker (not coming from the UK or US) and at least I know it's genuine. Will change it out once it arrives and hope my problems are gone as well.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Level Critically Low