XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Engine Oil Level Critically Low

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post discussing advantages of electronic oil level indicator seems most relevant to my problem, so here goes. I've recently purchased a 2016 XF 35t Prestige with the 3-liter Supercharged engine. FUN CAR!!! and beautiful. Just did oil change for the first time and wanting to make sure I have the correct amount in there. According to what I've found, the engine should take more than 7 US quarts. So that is how much I put in. I've pulled up the "Vehicle Information \ Oil Level" display, but unfortunately it only displays "Unavailable". I figured out that I can only access that display with engine stopped and ignition on. Basically you push the Start button while not pushing the brake pedal. I've checked the display before starting the car, as well as after driving for a while, waiting, checking again. Unfortunately I only ever get the message "Unavailable".
There are no DTCs being reported. So what should I be looking for?

Old 01-29-2024, 02:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums John,

The oil level check procedure is rather pedantic and the steps must be followed precisely:

Provided you have done this, the likely cause is a failed level sensor (item 5) or the harness connector:

This sensor used on several Jaguar models is known to fail without triggering a system fault warning message.

Graham

Old 01-31-2024, 05:37 AM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It has been pointed out to Jaguar that this monitoring procedure is awful, to no avail. It is totally disconnected from any convenience or logic-driven concept of human behavior.

The following users liked this post:
chrisjp (03-08-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr
It has been pointed out to Jaguar that this monitoring procedure is awful, to no avail. It is totally disconnected from any convenience or logic-driven concept of human behavior.
How many people do you know that drive cars? And out of those people how many would use a dip stick to regularly (or at all) check their oil? I prefer a dip stick and regularly do an under the hood inspection but I know I'm in the minority. Even with the electronic check I bet few use it unless they get a "low oil" message.

Old 01-31-2024, 11:52 AM
rbr

I plead guilty to not checking as often as I should. However, when I want to check before driving, I can't. Check upon shutdown? Can't. Go away and forget. Rinse and repeat. KMN.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbr
I.....when I want to check before driving, I can't. .....
Yes you can. Before driving, when the motor is cold hit the start button without your foot on the brake pedal and the display comes up. Then go through the oil level procedure. What's interesting is how much the level changes once warmed up.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:22 PM
rbr

Unfortunately, when I do this it returns a message "This function not available". Both at cold start and hot shutdown. Per the procedure, 10 min. later it works, when I remember. Is there some setting I can change to get a real-time reading?

Old 01-31-2024, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbr
Unfortunately, when I do this it returns a message "This function not available". Both at cold start and hot shutdown. Per the procedure, 10 min. later it works, when I remember. Is there some setting I can change to get a real-time reading?
Just guessing ....... your oil level sensor is bad.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:45 AM

Apparently, I was not waiting long enough when I kept getting the "Unavailable" message. I am able to check the oil level using the procedure now, Just need more patience. Also able to check the level before starting the car. And yes, the oil level is lower when it is cold versus hot.

For a new owner, this "Unavailable" message is a rather poor communication with the driver. Look at the amount of consternation and research it causes. Would be significantly more helpful for the message to say something like, "Wait X minutes before reading". X initially says 10 and would count down until a reading was allowed.

Something else that I believe I noticed is that the reading is NOT LIVE. I was hoping to watch for level to rise, but no. You have to shut the car off, then back on (don't run engine) and see its new reading. Its all very slow and annoying process. I guess they just don't like us DIY kind of folks....

Old 02-02-2024, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Can't disagree with anything you said.
Here is Jaguars description and yes you can read the oil level "Live" AFTER you enter "Service Mode".
See attached document. It does seem to be for the XF and XK specifically. I do find a similar but different document for the XJ. I attached that also if needed.

I don't know why I want to see the live oil level? This is especially puzzling since there is no way to read oil pressure on the 5.0L engine! Which to me is a critical measurement.
Funny thing is they do list oil pressures in the attachment but again why? There is no way to measure the oil pressure as the engine lacks this all together! So how would an owner even know if the oil pressure is low or out of spec?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5.0L Lubrication System.pdf (64.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf
2011 XJ Live Oil Level.pdf (67.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by clubairth1; 02-02-2024 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
...So how would an owner even know if the oil pressure is low or out of spec?....
There's an oil pressure sensor that would activate a warning message should it get to the critical point. I think we worry too much about things that rarely happen anymore. The days of the oil pressure gauge are no longer needed but I agree it's reassuring to look at a gauge and watch it go up and down with temperature, rpm, and load. When's the last time you had a failure of oil pressure without a warning light? Here's one you can think about that is real ..... the temperature gauge. Ever wonder why it is always 9:00 once warmed up no matter how hard you are pushing the car or the temp outside? That's because the range for "OK" (9:00) is very large. That means the motor is actually heating up beyond 9:00 but not telling you. Someone put a digital readout on the temp and observed while driving to get this information (there's a thread somewhere on it). Again, the method to this madness IMO is that's normal and nothing to be alarmed about and it saves JLR warranty visits.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Actually no. The 5.0L V-8 has no sensor for oil pressure! Strange but true.
We found this out when one of our experience forum guys tried to connect an external oil pressure gauge. That's why it's so weird they worry about the volume but neglect the pressure.

I use and recommend Torque Pro too. If you don't have the custom Jaguar PID pack get it! Nice work done by Cambo over in Oz years ago.
I use this daily to get real time temperature readings.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
....The 5.0L V-8 has no sensor for oil pressure! .....
This is an X260 forum. We blocked off two of the cylinders but I think the same engine block? I wonder if that means there's no oil pressure sensor in the X260!?

Old 02-04-2024, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

That is an interesting point as the 5.0L in any model has no oil pressure sensor. BUT Jaguar even show's a screen shot in one manual of a low oil pressure error message. It will never come on because it's not connected to anything? Someone did install a oil pressure sensor on the V-8. Apparently there is a small amount of room and he found a screwed in plug in the block to attach the gauge. If he reads this I hope he will post?

I think it was Dave Tibbs or Xdave as he was rebuilding his engine when he found this out.
I found it and what a detailed engine rebuilding thread that was! It was Dave Tibbs
5.0L Engine Rebuild

Here are a couple of pictures to help tell the tale.
Location of external oil pressure port on the 5.0L engine. It is plugged from the factory and the early Land Rovers had a problem with this plug leaking oil. They released a service bulletin too. You can't see it because of all the stuff that's bolted on top in this area. Really tight.

So it's buried and at the back of the engine. As Dave posted (It's a giant thread but VERY worthwhile to read!!) he thinks Jaguar had planned on a oil pressure sensor but then decided it was too close to the exhaust manifold on that side. We just don't know?

Here is what Dave hooked up as he did add an mechanical oil pressure gauge to his XFR!

Even Jaguar does not use that port as they have released a oil pressure tester adapter but it's just a modified oil filter cap?
Jaguar Tool 303-1451. Way expensive at around $300!

The V-6 does have a oil pressure sensor and since the V-8 and V-6 use basically the same block. This port is not as covered up on the V-6 versions.

Off topic but if you have not seen the V-6 block it's really strange looking!

So you can see the V-6 has 2 dead holes at the back of the block and this is where the extra room comes from.

Cool coffee table too!

I did not know it but apparently making coffee tables out of engine blocks is somewhat common? You can find them made from just about any and all engine blocks.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ere0839
it took a couple of visits to the indy garage that i use for repairs and servicing on the Jag, it was a process of elimination in the end. After changing the oil pressure switch the diagnostic scan left just the one error that would not clear P25A09-00 I paid £300 to replace the part, this included purchasing the part from Jaguar. Took my mechanic 2 hours to change it, it involved removing the coolant reservoir and a couple of hoses leading to the thermostat housing. We managed to get the part replaced without having to remove the housing which would have meant replacing gaskets. I've attached some pictures to this post showing the part, part number and progress pictures

the part was located in the hole with oil residue, center of picture
Very thank you @Ere0839 ! I had the same problem. At the original jaguar service they weren't sure what it could be. The problem was actually finally solved by replacing the part you mention according to your instructions and your photos. Thank you once again.

Old 06-15-2024, 06:35 AM

Hy everyone , i have an jaguar xf 2.0 diesel x260 awd 2018 , my first engine died right after just i bought the car , i have change the engine and i replaced everything on it and i still get the low oil engine level error , i change even the solenoid for the oil cooling piston , i wonder the people who change this solenoid if this error reapperd after a time

Old 06-15-2024, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Equinoxe4
Hy everyone , i have an jaguar xf 2.0 diesel x260 awd 2018 , my first engine died right after just i bought the car , i have change the engine and i replaced everything on it and i still get the low oil engine level error , i change even the solenoid for the oil cooling piston , i wonder the people who change this solenoid if this error reappeared after a time
I changed my PCJ 10 months ago and have had no oil issues since. I've put on 40,000 km since the fix.

I currently have a leaking fuel injector which is causing carbon buildup aka "black death" but that's a completely different issue.

Old 06-15-2024, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ALH1993
I changed my PCJ 10 months ago and have had no oil issues since. I've put on 40,000 km since the fix.

I currently have a leaking fuel injector which is causing carbon buildup aka "black death" but that's a completely different issue.
Thanks for the reply , i guess i l have to order another one , maybe the one that was install was not good even if it was new