XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Engine swap???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022 | 10:10 AM
|

Originally Posted by mleskovar
So why would they increase their build cost by adding the sensor, wiring, and associated support electronics to replace a simple system that's reliable and accurate? #1 It's easier for the owner so it becomes a 'feature'. #2 It keeps the owner out of the engine bay. There was a study done years ago that showed many warranty calls were self inflicted by owners going under the hood. Most people on this forum would prefer the old dipstick but we're car aficionados. The average person doesn't check oil at all using the dipstick so for the majority of owners they just wait for the oil warning light/message to illuminate before doing the check and many of those don't know where a dipstick is, what to look for, or how to use it, or just don't want to possibly get dirty with all that yucky stuff under the hood.
That is definitely a way to put it…
I mean brands aren’t stupid… We, good old fashioned petrol head just don’t like were this whole thing is headed… 🙄

The following 2 users liked this post by Ricardo.JC:
Ichi Ban (11-24-2023), Panthro (05-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2022 | 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

It sucks.
Worse, Jaguar wants you to follow this absurd piece of instruction to even check your oil: wait 10 minutes AFTER having shut off a FULLY WARMED UP up engine. Only then will you obtain an accurate reading. And, in fact, the system will not allow a readout immediately after shut-off. "SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE."
Think about it. There are only two times the average driver would check the dipstick: on startup, or at a gas station while adding gas. It won't work at the gas station, and is "not recommended" before startup.
I check it before startup, when I can remember. Is it accurate? It always says "OIL LEVEL HIGH" but both the Jag dealer where I bought the car and my great jag dealer who serviced my XKR told me not to worry. (My service rep owns an XF and is pretty knowledgeable so I take her advice).
My old XKR's 5.0 ate a little oil during long drives at high speed. (My guess is that as it aged, that thin, slippery 0-20 began getting past the rings at heat and high RPM's. No loss during periods of normal in-town driving.) Since it's all electronic, I assumed I'd get some kind of warning if there was an issue. Imagine my surprise when I happened to check it in the middle of a cross-country drive and saw "ADD 2.0 QTS." What??
No, the car will NOT communicate a low oil level until you're pretty much out of oil.
And at least on the XKR oil level is easily accessed by pressing the button at the end of the turn signal stalk. It his hidden DEEP in a menu layer on the XF.
Really disappointing. And yes, part of a long-term campaign to infantilize the owner and discourage them from even cracking the hood.
FYI, oil change issues are a huge topic over on the XK forum. One thing agreed on is that once every 12 months is not enough. Please note this oil change interval became common right as carmakers began offering "complimentary service" on new cars. It will certainly get you through 60K miles-- but how long after that?
Mobil, Castrol, and Penzoil all used to offer "long-life" oils that were claimed to be good for up to 12,000 miles. None do, any more. Something to consider.
(PS: apologies to the OP for the thread hijack. I wouldn't worry about your car. Just find another shop.)

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (05-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2022 | 07:39 AM
|

Originally Posted by pk4144
It sucks.
Worse, Jaguar wants you to follow this absurd piece of instruction to even check your oil: wait 10 minutes AFTER having shut off a FULLY WARMED UP up engine. Only then will you obtain an accurate reading. And, in fact, the system will not allow a readout immediately after shut-off. "SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE."
Think about it. There are only two times the average driver would check the dipstick: on startup, or at a gas station while adding gas. It won't work at the gas station, and is "not recommended" before startup.
I check it before startup, when I can remember. Is it accurate? It always says "OIL LEVEL HIGH" but both the Jag dealer where I bought the car and my great jag dealer who serviced my XKR told me not to worry. (My service rep owns an XF and is pretty knowledgeable so I take her advice).
My old XKR's 5.0 ate a little oil during long drives at high speed. (My guess is that as it aged, that thin, slippery 0-20 began getting past the rings at heat and high RPM's. No loss during periods of normal in-town driving.) Since it's all electronic, I assumed I'd get some kind of warning if there was an issue. Imagine my surprise when I happened to check it in the middle of a cross-country drive and saw "ADD 2.0 QTS." What??
No, the car will NOT communicate a low oil level until you're pretty much out of oil.
And at least on the XKR oil level is easily accessed by pressing the button at the end of the turn signal stalk. It his hidden DEEP in a menu layer on the XF.
Really disappointing. And yes, part of a long-term campaign to infantilize the owner and discourage them from even cracking the hood.
FYI, oil change issues are a huge topic over on the XK forum. One thing agreed on is that once every 12 months is not enough. Please note this oil change interval became common right as carmakers began offering "complimentary service" on new cars. It will certainly get you through 60K miles-- but how long after that?
Mobil, Castrol, and Penzoil all used to offer "long-life" oils that were claimed to be good for up to 12,000 miles. None do, any more. Something to consider.
(PS: apologies to the OP for the thread hijack. I wouldn't worry about your car. Just find another shop.)
I really get your point sir.
A doctor (that’s currently lives on the apartment above mine) has a FPace, a 2.0 diesel. Ran dry out of oil without a single warning light going on.
As the car was still in dealership warranty, they split the costs of a new engine (I believe the total cost was about 15.000,00€ - more or less the same amount in USD).
the dealership went on arguing that they weren’t any warning lights and the oil should be checked with the dipstick (these Diesel engines still have one).
Now, my dear bloggers, should I dare ask: how many non petrol heads check their oil from time to time? I’d say very very few.
So then your engine starts rattling, guess what: it’s too late…
For a brand such as Jag (or any brand for that matters, IMO that’s completely unacceptable…
And, by the way, when Jag came equipped with The 2.2 diesel ford engines we where quite Ok on reliability. Now with the 2.0 Ingenium engines… My oh my, reliability dropped like a rock on a pond!!!

Panthro (05-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2022 | 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I...absurd piece of instruction to even check your oil: wait 10 minutes AFTER having shut off a FULLY WARMED UP up engine. Only then will you obtain an accurate reading. .....
Next time you get in your car with a cold engine hit the start button but leave your foot off the brake. The dash will light up and you can perform all the digital functions without the engine running. Check your oil level then before starting the engine. Remember the level it shows. Then after driving for a while wait the 10 minutes and check your oil again. The level should raise ..... for me it's about 1/2 quart, taking up to max full. Now you know what the level is without warming it up.

Panthro (05-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2022 | 10:27 AM
|

Next time you get in your car with a cold engine hit the start button but leave your foot off the brake. The dash will light up and you can perform all the digital functions without the engine running. Check your oil level then before starting the engine. Remember the level it shows. Then after driving for a while wait the 10 minutes and check your oil again. The level should raise ..... for me it's about 1/2 quart, taking up to max full. Now you know what the level is without warming it up.
Thanks bro.
Will definitely try it.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-06-2022 | 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

As I said, I always check the oil level before startup, so yes I'm familiar with the process. Honestly, couldn't be bothered with taking the time to compare it to the "proper" readout. Again, there are threads on this exact issue on the XK forum and those who've tried this say their readings are pretty close at both times.
My main point is that there's no advantage to setting up a system this needlessly complex for something as central (and simple to check) as checking one's own body temperature.

Old 06-06-2022 | 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

As I said, I always check the oil level before startup, so yes I'm familiar with the process. Honestly, couldn't be bothered with taking the time to compare it to the "proper" readout. Again, there are threads on this exact issue on the XK forum and those who've tried this say their readings are pretty close at both times.
My main point is that there's no advantage to setting up a system this needlessly complex for something as central (and simple to check) as checking one's own body temperature.
Agreed.
My guess is that when the Jag techs (with some help from Ford) designed the AJ133 back in 2008 they decided to go with the oil extraction tube (in the middle of the oil fill hole) coz that made it so much easier and quicker to drain the oil compared to the sump plug method (been there done that!), but that extraction tube got in the way of a dipstick tube big time so bye bye dip stick tube.

Ichi Ban (11-24-2023)
Old 06-06-2022 | 02:00 AM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Agreed.
My guess is that when the Jag techs (with some help from Ford) designed the AJ133 back in 2008 they decided to go with the oil extraction tube (in the middle of the oil fill hole) coz that made it so much easier and quicker to drain the oil compared to the sump plug method (been there done that!), but that extraction tube got in the way of a dipstick tube big time so bye bye dip stick tube.
Oh, ok. Get it now. A matter of sacrificing parts for the greater good”. Can understand that…

Old 06-06-2022 | 02:03 AM
|

I guess it’s a matter of good habits. Just as checking tire pressure…
Got to get used to doing it myself…

Old 06-06-2022 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Works for me, if it doesn't work for you or others you've heard about don't do it. Cheech, what a grouch.