XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Four Cylinder XF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 04:22 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Four Cylinder XF

Hi, jumped over from the X250 XF list to see what the general consensus is of the current XF with a four cylinder engine?

I've always considered that I would upgrade my '15 XF to a current model (like I did for my X-Type, S-Type, and now XF) but with the end of the 3.0V6 super, I'm not so sure.

I'd been waiting for the Ingenium I6, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. So I was just wondering what X206 owners thought of their models only coming with a turbo-4?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD 3.0 (it's aubergine...)
2019 JCNA Class M Slalom 2nd-Place
2018 JCNA Class M Slalom 2nd-Place
Past B: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
2015 JCNA Class M Slalom Champion
Past A: '05 X-Type 3.0/AWD Jaguar Racing Green

Old 04-12-2021, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
....So I was just wondering what X206 owners thought of their models only coming with a turbo-4?....
You mean X260? Won't buy one. Will stick with my '17 3.0. Turbochargers aren't high on my list either but that seems to be the way everyone is headed. A supercharged I6 could be a possibility though.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2019 XF 25T Portfolio Sportbrake with the 250bhp 2 litre 4-pot, I've driven 18k miles with it. It develops its maximum torque at 1200 rpm then right up to 4500 rpm which makes it very responsive. I've just parted (due to age and creaking bones) with a 2004 m.y. XK8 4.2 litre and to be honest although I have only half the number of cylinders it feels just as powerful and obviously with better economy.

I'm more than satisfied, it's a nice smooth powerful car and you can feel the urge under your right foot. Don't dismiss it out of hand just because it has less cylinders, you may be surprised on a test drive!

Last edited by nicktee55; 04-13-2021 at 08:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
madaws01 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:20 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Jaguar has recently announced that it will only be developing electric vehicles from 2025 onwards - mainly due to the UK's "eco-nut" ruling that all ICE engined cars will be banned from sale in the UK from 2030. So I can't see JLR putting any new money into their Ingenium range of engines from now onwards, which means we're stuck with the 4-pot turbo petrols and diesels. That said, the 4-pot petrol Ingenium is a responsive engine and can be had with up to 300 HP. The 250 HP Ingenium petrol in my current XE does still suffer from turbo-lag though, with a slight hesitation when flooring the throttle to overtake - which is unnerving until you get used to it. I've driven V6 and V8 non-turbo cars in the past and their response to the throttle was much better but, hey, we'll just have to put up with the current crop of ICE engined cars before we're all forced to run electric cars.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:31 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Seriously, is this all the chatter from crowd that used to drive 575 HP supercharged XFs?
We should all be screaming at Jaguar for not supplying an engine suitable for a fine Grad Touring automobile!
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 04-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
...We should all be screaming at Jaguar for not supplying an engine suitable for a fine Grad Touring automobile!....
Sadly the days of muscle motor ICE cars are setting and being replaced with more powerful electric motors. If you haven't treated yourself to a "ludicrous" blast in a dual motor Tesla model S you need to. It's like an amusement park ride at your command. If speed and power/torque are your criteria look no further. Our grandchildren will not have the pleasure of listening to an F1 motor row through the gears to 20 grand. RIP.

madaws01 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:14 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>Tesla model S

Yes, a rocket powered golf-cart...
==================================================
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935

Old 04-21-2021, 03:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

"Tesla calculates CO2 emissions of around 480 grams per mile for US combustion engines; This includes both the manufacture of the car and its fuel, including emissions from the extraction, refining and transportation of oil.
For a Tesla Model 3, on the other hand, Tesla specifies a CO2 value of around 190 grams per mile, including battery production and real electricity consumption based on the US mix."

I'm a Conservative but still believe that electric cars aren't on the way out.. so..

What car brand would you each buy next if you HAD to buy electric?

Although I prefer a 4-door sedan,, the i-Pace has good acceleration and available air suspension so if the 2025 Jaguar sedans have sub-5 second 0-60 times and air ride, I'm in..

I own the 3.0L s/c x260 and Love it.
Tested the i-4 300bhp XF before buying this CPO and liked the mid-range torque but that engine lost my interest above 5,000 revs.

Euro-Govts will beat the ICE to an early end.. sadly.

madaws01 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
...What car brand would you each buy next if you HAD to buy electric?....
Tesla S. But the interior sucks and I find the new "yoke" steering wheel completely unacceptable. And as a side note.... I don't own a cell phone so there's a lot of things I couldn't take advantage of in owning one. According to my neighbor, who just took delivery of a Model 3, he doesn't see how you could own one without a cell phone to communicate with and operate it. I''m not a Luddite, I have difficulty hearing on phones but actually like living without one. I do have my eye on Lucid though and am curious if it lives up to its' promises. Excellent range and battery technology with a hyped upgrade (from Tesla) in interior materials.

[QUOTE=F1Virginia;2381873]... the i-Pace has good acceleration and available air suspension so if the 2025 Jaguar sedans have sub-5 second 0-60 times and air ride, I'm in...[/QUOTE

Yes, liked the i=Pace but not into SUV types. Range is important, at least 400 miles.

[QUOTE=F1Virginia;2381873]......Euro-Govts will beat the ICE to an early end.. sadly.[/QUOTE

Don't count on it being anywhere soon. Too much infrastructure needed to handle all EVs in less than 50 years..... if that. Not at all unless we go nuclear.

12306Jaguar (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=F1Virginia;2381873]......Euro-Govts will beat the ICE to an early end.. sadly.[/QUOTE
Don't count on it being anywhere soon. Too much infrastructure needed to handle all EVs in less than 50 years..... if that. Not at all unless we go nuclear.

The trouble is the Euro governments (including the UK) all keep virtue-signalling and announcing dates when ICE cars will be banned from sale. The car manufacturers will have to take these seriously and plan only to develop and sell EVs by these dates. So whether or not the infrastructure (electricity generation and grid capability) is able to support EVs (and I agree it very likely won't be), we'll be stuck with them. The only alternative, when it becomes clear that countries cannot support EVs, will probably be "emergency" arrangements to import ICE cars from Asia (China in particular).
I fear that the US, under the new President, is getting ready to go down the same virtue-signalling path, with all Western countries now competing with each other to say "my green policies are bigger and better than yours".

Old 04-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chrisjp
....So whether or not the infrastructure (electricity generation and grid capability) is able to support EVs (and I agree it very likely won't be), we'll be stuck with them. ...
What will actually happen is ICE car sales will massively surge before the cut off date, used ICE car values will escalate, car mechanics (real ones, not replace parts by the number type) will become the new heroes, and the auto industry in those countries that support only EV car sales will slowly shrink and maybe disappear. These are the real ramifications that the shoot, ready, aim people don't care about but the business people understand and won't allow to happen. We'll see the goal post for EV only sales continuously move and at best see a combination of fossil fuel and EV cars until fossil fuels are gone .... which at the rate we keep discovering more will be centuries away. It will be like all the virtue signaling Climate Change promises and predictions that have come and gone without fruition ..... forgotten and never mentioned again. Wanna bet?