XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Gearbox replacement not programmable

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox replacement not programmable

Hi everyone!

I had some issues with my Jaguar and apparently it was the gearbox.

I ordered a replacement one (used) and it looks like the mechanics are not able to program it and suggested to get a new one.

As the car has been with them for more than 2 weeks now (1 week for the diagnosis and 1 week to fit the gearbox...), and only today after I had a sort of argument on the phone they called me back to say it doesn’t work and need to get a new one.

I am not saying I am not trusting them (recently moved so direct experience with them), but would like to hear if that could really be an issue, or they don’t have the right tools to program it.

Would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions as between gearbox, mechanic and car hire I am spending a lot of money here, and it is not really a great time for this..

Old 04-02-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Ron..
Sorry for your troubles mate.

Hows life in Surrey?
Is that your new location or old one?

Your profile shows a 2012 XF so posting your issue in the X250 forum there (and searching that forum for trans mismatches) will yield more prevalent results.

Cheers and Welcome!

Old 04-02-2021, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Hi Ron..
Sorry for your troubles mate.

Hows life in Surrey?
Is that your new location or old one?

Your profile shows a 2012 XF so posting your issue in the X250 forum there (and searching that forum for trans mismatches) will yield more prevalent results.

Cheers and Welcome!

Hello, Thank you for the reply and for directing me to the right forum!

All good in Surrey! I was already working here and commuting from London, managed to find a nice place during the first lock down and moved there

Old 04-03-2021, 04:50 AM
Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it your gearbox or gearbox ECU that is the problem? As usually if it's just a mechanical problem you just change over the module and your car doesn't know any different. It's because you're using a gearbox with a module that has another VIN programmed into it is what's causing the issue.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MoJo88
Is it your gearbox or gearbox ECU that is the problem? As usually if it's just a mechanical problem you just change over the module and your car doesn't know any different. It's because you're using a gearbox with a module that has another VIN programmed into it is what's causing the issue.
Hello, I am not sure what is the exact problem, but I asked for the faulty codes and looking for more details.
they told me it was a module, but in the Jaguar they would need to change the whole gearbox...
so now they are not able to program it (different VIN as you mentioned) and the gearbox seller told me yesterday that they would need to use SSD 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 the latest. I passed this info and waiting to hear back...