XF (X260) 2015 onwards

How are the 2015-2017 Jaguar XF’s holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022 | 06:33 PM
|
Default How are the 2015-2017 Jaguar XF’s holding up?

Looking to buy a used 2016 Jaguar XF 35t Sport. Only thing is, the ones I can afford are around 60-80k in already. So I’m wondering if it’s worth it to buy one or if I should just keep looking elsewhere. How many miles do these things last? I’m hoping for at least 150k or so. The car seems so fun to drive, I hope they hold up well as far as not needing major maintenance or having a short life.

Old 07-07-2022 | 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

my 2015 no repairs as of yet, i change my oil every 5000 miles coolant once every year that's it 7 years trouble free, i have 102,000 miles on it,

Old 07-08-2022 | 02:36 PM

I have a 2016 XF 3.5t Prestige, bought it at 40k sitting at just over 60k after a year and a half. Only issue I had was what first seemed to be a bad alternator, but turned out to be a leaking RH valve cover gasket that dripped oil on the alternator over time causing it to fail.

I noticed an issue with the reverse camera getting kinda fuzzy quality which seems to be a reoccurring issue with wiring in the trunk with some owners.

Gas crisis hit and I really started to think on selling it, but since i’ve got extended warranty on it the so looming threat of any major repair fees is gone, minus normal wear components. That and the car drives and feels great.

The following users liked this post:
NajB23 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-08-2022 | 03:04 PM
|

Originally Posted by mk2018
I have a 2016 XF 3.5t Prestige, bought it at 40k sitting at just over 60k after a year and a half. Only issue I had was what first seemed to be a bad alternator, but turned out to be a leaking RH valve cover gasket that dripped oil on the alternator over time causing it to fail.

I noticed an issue with the reverse camera getting kinda fuzzy quality which seems to be a reoccurring issue with wiring in the trunk with some owners.

Gas crisis hit and I really started to think on selling it, but since i’ve got extended warranty on it the so looming threat of any major repair fees is gone, minus normal wear components. That and the car drives and feels great.
I’ve heard these can have issues with the alternator. How much did that repair run you?

Old 07-09-2022 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

2017 3.5 with no major issues. Intermittent trunk auto opener that I have to lift manually when it fails and a mirror that wouldn't dip replaced when I took delivery. Brakes and tires wearing like they'll last forever. Most reliable new car I've ever owned.

Old 07-27-2022 | 09:17 PM

The car engine itself is very robust but there is one fatal flaw: the coolant system will fail eventually, probably long before 100k miles.

It’s a fantastic car, but like every other vehicle with a supercharged Jaguar/Land Rover engine, you will have to replace many of the plastic coolant pipes and the water pump every 50k miles unless you want to risk being stranded on the road. This maintenance averages around $2000 and includes changing the supercharger’s oil and spring coupler. There are other minor things that can break on an XF over 60k miles but the cooling system is the major killer.

Regardless of which XF you buy, if it’s out of warranty it WILL need this service eventually so factor that into your budget. You might see in the Carfax that one of these cooling components was replaced at one point. However, this doesn’t tell you if all the trouble pipes were replaced and if they were replaced with upgraded parts. This information also doesn’t tell you how the previous driver of the car handled a critical coolant leak. Did they pull the car over immediately and get a tow before they engine got hot - like I did when my water pump leaked - or did they keep driving, potentially damaging the engine’s gaskets and internal components. I would stay away from a car that has multiple cooling issues show up on a carfax.

If you don’t have the coolant system replaced then make sure you have alternate means of transportation; it really can go at any time. Lastly, don’t bother with any extended warranties from third party companies as they will likely not cover any of the coolant parts or labor.

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (07-29-2022)
Old 07-27-2022 | 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lordchompybits
....If you don’t have the coolant system replaced then make sure you have alternate means of transportation; it really can go at any time. .....
You're a pessimist If you did a survey on this forum I'm guessing <10% have had the infamous cooling system leak.

Old 07-28-2022 | 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
You're a pessimist If you did a survey on this forum I'm guessing <10% have had the infamous cooling system leak.
let’s see! I suspect that the number is higher at 50k miles and probably close to 60-70% by 100k miles. The F Type and XJ forums are full of stories. Normally a leak is not the end of the world, and most people will never have a catastrophic leak that ends in a seized engine on a highway, but I can promise you that this car will be towed a few times in its life time.

Old 07-28-2022 | 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

let’s see! I suspect that the number is higher at 50k miles. ......
Probably correct on that one but I doubt that it's significant to begin with. My theory is owners in places with temperatures that go far below freezing lows are more susceptible to the problem because of the plastic parts cycling between extremes and cracking. If mine goes I'll definitely use the metal pipes.

.... and probably close to 60-70% by 100k miles. ......
I doubt it's that high but like you I'm also guessing. If it were that high the complaints would be much more numerous. Forums represent a fraction of model/type car owners so it's not always a good representation of owners. BMWs have a notorious history of cooling problems. I had a model that the electric water pump was the weak point. So bad that there was talk on the forum of class action suite. They did a poll and with hundreds of responses the results were much lower than we thought they'd be. Doesn't mean anything if you're one of those that had the problem though. It's not often that someone starts a thread with how well their car is doing

Old 07-29-2022 | 03:26 PM
Default 59.7k

Great and Useful Thread Topic..
much like oil discussions.

If you can past the inevitable vitriol in an oil thread, most of what I learned about lubrication is from a forum.

After 2 rewarding years of CPO ownership of a '17 35 Premium, my failure rate of sensors, water pump and parts have exceeded any vehicle I've owned since 1985.. except for my Alfa.

Which 2 cars have I loved the most?
944, XF then Alfa.

'15 Mustang, 7 Accords & Civics, 3 Hyundais,
'87 740turbo, 2000 A4, 2 Ford Explorers and 1 Cherokee.

I guess driving dynamics, style and comfort matter more to me than being stranded on Midlothian Tpke a mile from the Jag Dealer this May..
from a 57k original water pump.

Your mileage will vary..

Old 07-29-2022 | 05:57 PM

Thanks for the alert you guys. I topped off my coolant for the first time about 6 months ago and haven't given it a thought since. So I just ran out and looked and it is fine. I've had this car 2.5 years, from 14k miles to 24k miles now and the 5 year service package has run out. 10k miles in 2.5 years makes me think I am not going to get annual oil changes, etc. I have not had any problems with the car, I get 30+mpg highway and 24 mpg in town. I can punch it whenever I want and zoom past anything on any hill.
More interesting, in 2.5 years I only just saw another XF for the first time last month, in Sacramento.
You all carry on.
P.

Old 07-29-2022 | 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CarsonCitySmith
....10k miles in 2.5 years makes me think I am not going to get annual oil changes......
I'm putting on about the same mileage as you. My 5 year warranty/service period ran out as well. I had my oil analyzed at the last 5K miles interval and it showed negligible wear and plenty of the 'good stuff' remaining in the oil so I'm extending the change period as well. Maybe even 3 years depending on the next analysis.

Old 07-30-2022 | 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Probably correct on that one but I doubt that it's significant to begin with. My theory is owners in places with temperatures that go far below freezing lows are more susceptible to the problem because of the plastic parts cycling between extremes and cracking. If mine goes I'll definitely use the metal pipes.

I doubt it's that high but like you I'm also guessing. If it were that high the complaints would be much more numerous. Forums represent a fraction of model/type car owners so it's not always a good representation of owners. BMWs have a notorious history of cooling problems. I had a model that the electric water pump was the weak point. So bad that there was talk on the forum of class action suite. They did a poll and with hundreds of responses the results were much lower than we thought they'd be. Doesn't mean anything if you're one of those that had the problem though. It's not often that someone starts a thread with how well their car is doing
I found out today that my water outlet pipe under the supercharger was cracked at the base where it bolts onto the engine. The way it’s designed it will absolutely break after enough wear. You might hit a pothole one day that will give it enough force to split clean off.