XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Jaguar AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Jaguar AWD

Does anyone know details about the AWD system in current Jaguars?

I'm curious because I owned an X-Type that had two different designs. The earlier one had a "closed" system that mechanically minimized wheel spin for slipping wheels (i.e., the real and effective AWD) and the later version that had fully open differentials and transfer case where all torque would be vectored to a spinning/slipping wheel while the others remained motionless.

That design was "improved" in cars that shipped with traction control where the ABS system would apply brake to the spinning wheel allowing torque to be sent to other wheels. It sort of worked, but only for cars equipped with traction control, but not all X-Types were so equipped.

Does the current system use an open architecture countered by the ABS or is it a "real" AWD design.

What about other cars with AWD these days (BMW xDrive, etc.)?
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 12-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts
Old 12-29-2016, 07:49 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Nice marketing description, kind of short on technical content, however...

Jaguar made nice claims about the X-Type AWD, too
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 12-31-2016, 12:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All I can add is this: I drove a BW528i for 5 years and it would get stuck in a mud puddle. I have just completed 2 weeks in one of the nastiest winter snow and ice periods in Vancouver,BC and my new 2016 Jag XF AWD with Continental Conti Pro GX M&S tires was great in all kinds of snow and ice especially going up long steep hills and along narrow icy/snowy roads. The AWD and the use of the Winter Feature(snowflake ikon) in some cases was amazing. So I am more than happy.
Happy New Year

Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>So I am more than happy.

Good to know, thanks.

But I'm still interested in knowing if/how the current Jaguar AWD controls wheel spin in low traction conditions.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 01-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

From what I have read, it has individual axle torque distribution by using the Torsen type differentials between the axles. I've read in some sources that in snow mode, traction control can send 100% of the engine torque to the front axle but I am skeptical of that because current Jaguar AWD is RWD based. It sends power to rear differential through a transfer case that has another prop shaft that goes to the front differential. I feel like it is very unlikely that Jaguar installed such transfer box that can completely detach rear differential and only route power to front. If it is so, it would be PT 4WD instead of AWD system which is extremely unlikely.

That effect however, can be achieved if Traction Control will apply brakes on back wheels and redistribute power to the front axle (it is not an ideal but most TC systems work that way nowadays) This will mean that if back axle has no traction, car should still be able to pull away with front wheels. In theory it is similar to the central differential lock on some 4WD cars such as old school Land Rovers.

My XE has All Surface Progress control which is said to be based on LR's terrain response system. It controls individual wheels traction levels and adjusts engine output based on that. It also lets you choose the speed below 30mph and will control the throttle for you so that wheelspin will be reduced.

I have not had a chance to test it out yet. I am still waiting for snow to hit MA so that I will go out and do comprehensive test on Jaguar AWD.

As for Dynamic side of AWD, I know Jaguar can use torque vectoring by brakes in hard cornering. This will apply brakes on inside wheels and help rotate the car around its axis during heavy cornering. In regular mode, power distribution is 10% front 90% back which can go up to 50/50% if needed during dynamic driving.

Last edited by Demetre Gvaramia; 01-03-2017 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
uab9253 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Demetre. Interesting description. This might answer Pab query above. I do know that with the Snowflake pushed I could creep down an icy patch on the road without wheel spin which is common when trying to apply the accelerator gingerly but the foot is not well trained! BTW I once drove my first car, a VW beetle(all I could afford after graduating from Military College), to Boston along icy roads and when I got to Boston it was literally a 'wipe-out'. You should be getting snow soon. Also, I loved Boston and the people were so nice to me while visiting.
Happy New Year everyone.
AL

Last edited by BCJAG; 01-03-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 PM
pab
Veteran Member

Yes, thanks, nice write up.
================================================== ===========
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you