XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Jaguar Reliability and Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The antifreeze was coming out of the top cap on the coolant tank, so I'm hoping its just a bad cap...

It is brand new, so it has their 5 year warranty & 5 year service. I'll see how things go during the warranty period to decide if I want to keep it after the warranty expires. I don't drive much, maybe 6k a year. So at the 5 year mark, I'll probably have 30k or less on it. I sure hope everything goes well, because I love this vehicle!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pzxzqg
Don't expect any sympathy or breaks after your warranty expires though, neither local or national Jag will have any for you.
Care to name the car manufacturer who expresses "sympathy or breaks after your warranty expires"?

As for your experience, well, things happen. That's why there is a "lemon law" in place.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not but you don't expect them to lie to you (that you're under warranty) just to get you to tow your vehicle to their dealership. I'd say that is pretty despicable and worthy of some type of justice. BTW ... lemon laws are pretty tight and typically don't extend into this mileage. This falls more in line with planned obsolescence. I've spoken with a number of shops that are replacing fuel injectors on Jag XF's after about 70k miles as well as problems as a result of fuel injectors failing open. A poorly designed model for the most part. How many others will follow? Also, don't make the mistake of having a major failure (water pump) and believe that the worst could possibly happen is over.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I think a lot depends on the dealer and the relationship you have with them. Mine is a 2010 XF and still goes like a dream. Aside from a couple of small niggles (easily solved) and the typical water pump (which they saw and replaced before any issues) mine has been trouble free motoring

Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 AM
Banned

Although I respectfully disagree, I could have lived with the problems (wiring, sensors, light controls, navigation, ...) up to the under warranty 65k mile water pump that stranded us over 500 miles from home (on vacation), with jag roadside assistance leaving me in a situation where I had to hitch hike to a rental car location 100 miles away (a different experience at 61 yrs old than it was at 16) and then the dreaded restricted performance problem at 74k miles, fuel injector(s) that locked open was the last straw. A 443% markup on parts alone (dealership insists that they have no control over parts or labor), and problems I've had on a jaguar national level don't point to the local dealership or my relationship (relatively good until the end). I waited over 35 years to own a premium luxury car and now I can't trust it to get me to the store and back. Surely one can invest $40k, $100k or more and expect better service and reliability as it approaches mid life. If Jag depreciation and trade in value weren't so horrible I'd buy another at the 50k mileage point but that's not how I was brought up ... I expect all my vehicles and boats (2000 hrs) to get me to 200k miles and beyond. In any case, I truly hope that you have better luck than I have (I really do). I loved this car a little more than a human being should have and it let me down, down, down. I also agree to own part of this [loving too much car] problem. Watch your backside and LOL.

Last edited by pzxzqg; 03-20-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

So when breakdowns happen to me...I take th car to the shop and grab the loaner they give me. Then they fix it. and then I pay for their service.

If the issues kept popping up, I would have traded the car in a looong time ago. Obviously you got a bad apple...happens to every manufacturer as someone else mentioned a few posts ago.

You are just trolling. Brake service is north of $1500 for all four wheels...oil changes are $230 a pop...any other service cost you $183 per labor hour plus parts.

Go get a Kia. They are actually solid cars and you may be happy with how they perform

I have driven BMW's, Benzo's, and now Jags.....service intervals are expensive...maintenace is expensive. you know that going in.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Banned

Bad apples and major failures don't usually happen at 65k and 74k miles. This isn't the typical lemon that goes bad right off the bat. This is more in line with cheap parts or very poor software/hardware engineering with planned obsolesce at mid-life (on the order of a Yugo). That's not what lemon laws were built to protect. More likely salemen are trolling this web site and trying to convince us of that this one is one in a thousand and it happens to every brand. That's BS and not the case here. There's price fixing, warranty fraud and client gouging going on here. Expensive is 200% mark-ups not >400 or 500% mark-ups. I've upgraded the brakes to EBC performance for less than $400, slotted rotors and ceramic pads, something you'd expect Jaguar to do on their XF to begin with but they went the low and cheap route instead. Just plain old fashion cheap engineering and dishonesty and I'm calling them on it. Lexus has a much better brand and track record.

Last edited by pzxzqg; 03-20-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 256 Posts

...This is more in line with cheap parts or very poor software/hardware engineering with planned obsolesce at mid-life (on the order of a Yugo).....
So why hasn't this happened to more of the same car with the same parts, engineering, software and hardware? Get a life.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Banned

I have evidence that it is happening as we speak. Think about it, at 10-15k per year, now is the time for this to happen to 2010's-2012's XF at normal yearly mileage. Get a life ... why don't you get a real job other that a Jag salesman or manager trolling these web sites to protect your brand.

Last edited by pzxzqg; 03-20-2017 at 12:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ololly (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have evidence that it is happening as we speak. Think about it, at 10-15k per year, now is the time for this to happen. Get a life ... why don't you get a real job other that a Jag salesman or manager trolling these web sites to protect your brand.
Sorry, thanked you by mistake. Meant to use a quote.

Anyway, I took you seriously at first, but now I agree - you just a troll. Accuse everyone of being a Jag salesman... To achieve what exactly?

This is pathetic. Anyway, I am stopping feeding you and suggest everyone does the same.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Banned

You guys are more adept at throwing new enthusiasts to the wolves instead of trying to get to the bottom a potentially very critical problem with the XF brand. Write it off as a one in a thousand, lemon law or every brand has this type of problem; this is happening at mid-life, not early life. You're acting the part of a Jaguar salesman or manager so if the troll shoe fits, wear it (and BTW you are the first to bring up the word troll ... "you are just trolling"). This is occurring on a national level not a local one. This is not 200% markup but 400 and 500%. This is plain old dishonesty that for some reason you think is OK and par for the course at Jaguar. You're just glad it's not happening to you but there is still time and Karma is a *itch best served cold just for you. I intend to have my pound or kilo of flesh for the trouble that Jaguar has caused me. I don't go down easy when someone is trying to screw me, although you might. If this case continues to build, I'll have one hell of a story that won't fair well for Jaguar on a global level. I also don't mind dragging them into small claims court even to recover my costs and gartner some negative headlines. I have plenty of time now that I'm retired but I doubt they will find it a good use of their time. Jaguar can count on me leaving a nasty mark they won't enjoy the rest of the world seeing. Keep taunting me and I will keep defending myself.

Last edited by pzxzqg; 03-20-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I don't work for Jaguar or any other car-related entity, but I have owned a lot of Jaguars, enough Jaguars to be able to say that they are in general very well engineered and well built (their beauty and luxury are beyond dispute). If these cars were as flawed as you claim, and as cynically engineered as you claim, yours would not be the voice crying in the wilderness - but it is. Your vehemence about your experience, and the bombastic threats you make frankly sound trumpian - and that ain't good, and it ain't believable.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

lol...Trumpian !!! I think you just created a new catch-phrase.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

You're just another Jag owner that has decided to settle for mediocrity in his vehicles (obviously over and over again) as well as their politics, I don't settle. The mistake that I made was thinking Ford would have a positive effect on Jaguar, especially with the 5.0l engine I was so very wrong. The facts, 1) Jag won't pay another $5 for extra RAM (that's Random Access Memory genius) that would store both east and west coast navigation software for the US at the same time. My $100 Garmin stores the US plus Canada, no problem; 2) Premium Jag can't afford to put in slotted rotors or ceramic pads [at this price] that would compare to other brands, stops faster and last longer than 20k miles per change; 3) Jag goes cheap on wiring harnesses and copper wires break with normal trunk openings and closings (Jag has historically had wiring issues). Only $100 to fix their mistake for a 6" cable (I soldiered, taped and put in extra support to correct; 4) Cheap sensors that break every 10k miles or so; 5) A high performance water pump that blows bearings over the entire engine compartment at 65k miles, a catastrophic failure I've never seen happen so early in any brand (but you have); 6) Roadside assistance doesn't assist the owner to get to the rental car location 100 miles away (classy) and forced to leave family while on vacation in a no name motel while he hitchhikes; 7) At 74k miles, fuel injector(s) fail open. Jag engineering can't figure out how to shutdown fuel flow so gas flushes through the cylinder(s) into the crankcase and through the catalytic converter throwing flames out of the tail pipe. How do you think this will play out longer. It took 3 days for gas to final stop dripping from the engine crankcase. You're solution is to just pass off to the next owner, not me. 8) Roadside assistance lies to get the vehicle towed to a local dealership thinking a Jag owner will simply settle (they must have historical data on this point) for whatever they charge, I don't; 9) Jaguar charges 400-500% over standard parts and labor costs (real classy). See the $94.46 Bosch OEM (that's Original Equipment Manufacturer genius) exactly the same part (Jaguar XF Fuel Injectors - Injector - Bosch Standard Motor Products Beck Arnley - 15 14 13 12 - PartsGeek.com) that [national] Jaguar was marking up to $418 ea. Mid-life planned obsolescence [genuis] means that the strategy is only now starting to show itself in this model. The local dealership showed me other vehicles with this problem (thinking they can justify their pricing to me). Other outside Jag shops are only now starting to take in business on exactly this problem. You're right it's not known as a global issue yet but very well could become one very quickly. The only good point you make is that a Kia would have been a better choice (congratulations genius), both for reliability and the same Jag feature sets are availability on most of their models. The only thing Jag did well was to integrate Wilkins and Bowers for its stereo systems, outstanding but they took them out in later models. Even when they do something right, they screw it up later on. I had all 8 fuel injectors replaced for under $1200, Jaguar (parts and labor genius), Jag wanted over $6500. Only Christian Brothers was honest enough to tell me that the same fuel rail had to come off for all 8 fuel injectors, so why do only 4 for the same price. Some of us work hard for their money and expect the best when they pay for the best. Jaguar is just a low class company that continues the crappy history of poor engineering. At least you don't need a mechanic in the trunk to tune the carb system any longer ... they have evolved, but not by much. Those that settle typically have low self esteem, low confidence and no inner strength (sounds like you). And then their are those that worked hard for their money and will never settle for less, that's me. You know what, the trouble with you liberals (that's you genius) is that you think of yourselves as sophisticated, nuanced intellectuals, but the truth is you have a kindergartner’s view of the world. LOL in life, you're going to need it.

Last edited by pzxzqg; 03-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,366 Posts

[QUOTE=pzxzqg;1642804 Jaguar is just a low class company that continues the crappy history of poor engineering. At least you don't need a mechanic in the trunk to tune the carb system any longer ... they have evolved, but not by much. Those that settle typically have low self esteem, low confidence and no inner strength (sounds like you). And then their are those that worked hard for their money and will never settle for less, that's me. You know what, the trouble with you liberals (that's you genius) is that you think of yourselves as sophisticated, nuanced intellectuals, but the truth is you have a kindergartner’s view of the world. LOL in life, you're going to need it.[/QUOTE]

Those who cannot make a rational argument very often resort to personal insults, tell alternate truths, make exaggerated claims about themselves and bizarre claims about others, denigrate and attack anyone who does not agree with them, and dye their hair weirdly. They also often get up very early in the morning to tweet their invective to the world. And they reveal their character (or rather, their lack of it) by this behaviour of constant confrontation. Really, this is not about Jaguars, is it ?
While this has been somewhat entertaining, it is also deeply sad.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Can I suggest to the mods that this one has run its course and time to close the thread?

The following 3 users liked this post by BritCars:
Kota (03-26-2017), Porscheluxe (03-21-2017), sov211 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

The really pathetic part is that every last thing this bozo is talking about with his car is about his 2011 XF, which is a completely different car than than the new XF that this section of the forum is about.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

So tell me how Jag has mitigated these issues in their current models instead of complaining about my rant. If they still haven't improved any of these areas (especially brakes, electrical, water pump and fuel injectors/PCM), it's not worth owning. I'm looking for a luxury, performance vehicle with precision engineering that will maintain its reliability over a span of 200-250k miles. Honda, Toyota, Kia and others have the reliability down but at a performance reduction, although with equivalent features in most areas but at a significantly lower price. At Jag's current buy-in price I expect higher performance and reliability. While doubtful Jag would share their MTBF's on components, only time will tell us how the components, integration and engineering holds up. Until then, we have only the past to help us predict the future. In the final analysis, I'm just another multi-millionaire that worked really hard for his money, over many years and hates making bad decisions and being treated like a sucker by Jaguar.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

So tell me how Jag has mitigated these issues in their current models instead of complaining about my rant. ....
I suggested some time ago you had already made your point over and over again and to GIVE IT A REST.

As you've failed to act on this, I'll do it for you.......BANNED.

Graham

The following 4 users liked this post by GGG:
Jag#4 (04-17-2017), JagV8 (03-24-2017), ololly (03-24-2017), Porscheluxe (03-24-2017)