XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Jaguar XF key not recognised and BMS rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XF key not recognised and BMS rattle

Hello,
I used to read on this forum and always found it very helpful however this time I need serious help since my key is not recognised anymore by the car.
Everything happened after passenger pushed electronic seat down button (accidently when leaving car) and it got stuck in down position somehow so seat motor just kept going ON/OFF a few days later came to use the car and found battery 100% dead. Found this after recharged the battery but now get this error about the key. Reading through forum looks like I will need SDD and Mongoose cable to reinitialise KVM module and program keys which I have ordered but strange thing I noticed is that my BMS which is next to NEGATIVE terminal is rattling. Wondering if that could be the issue somehow or that is not normal for them to rattle?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:09 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Have you tried a re-boot of the system? Disconnect the negative cable from the 12v battery for 5 minutes and reconnect. See if solves the problem

Old 03-25-2024, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Have you tried a re-boot of the system? Disconnect the negative cable from the 12v battery for 5 minutes and reconnect. See if solves the problem
Thank you for suggestion but I tried this multiple times and never worked this is how i noticed that BMS on negative lead has a little rattle when I remove it thinking if that somehow can be an issue.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:08 PM

To answer your question, I've never noticed the BMS rattle.
When was the last time you changed your Key Fob battery? Or try the other Key Fob (Spare Key) and see if that works. If does not work, then it is the car's system in fault.
Here's a discussion where a member had a problem with one. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nected-276063/

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 03-25-2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:42 AM

Found what the rattle was... SILLY ME it was when I disconnect cable and leave loose bolt which secures to battery terminal and it makes that sound found it when removed cable

Anyway car still not starting so waiting for SDD and cable to arrive so I can try reprogram. Will post the update later. If anyone knows thes sequence I should perform this would be really appreciated!

Old 03-29-2024, 05:02 PM

So I ordered a cable with SDD 164 but unable to auto read VIN. If I enter VIN manually it finds most of the ECU's but also many show as missing but I am able to access with my other diagnostic (Launch) so I am 100% sure it is an issue with the cable or software. Placed an order for a tested good cable which was double as expensive and should be here in next 2-3 working days. Will keep you updated once another SDD setup received. I've read online that many cheap cable do not work so fingers crosed that is my issue.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:10 PM

Quick update:
New Cable received
Car now starts but washer don't work which means corrupted eeprom on BCM ordered XProg-M will flash it and fix. Will update once arrived and BCM fixed.

When first tried to run install new BCM on SDD couldn't get it program as no ingnition so then I select on SDD install new instrument cluster after that I did BCM recoding and worked but car was not starting so I run immobilization and VUALIA all keys working and car starts and runs now

The following 2 users liked this post by the5ame:
2018XF25T (04-03-2024), Flo-1989 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the5ame
Quick update:
New Cable received
Car now starts but washer don't work which means corrupted eeprom on BCM ordered XProg-M will flash it and fix. Will update once arrived and BCM fixed.

When first tried to run install new BCM on SDD couldn't get it program as no ingnition so then I select on SDD install new instrument cluster after that I did BCM recoding and worked but car was not starting so I run immobilization and VUALIA all keys working and car starts and runs now
Hello unfortunately I have the same problem with the car .
The car worked without any problem .
Since I disconnected the battery ,now the car no longer recognizes the key to start .
Can you help me please.

Old 06-16-2024, 02:53 AM

Like mentioned above you have to buy the cable from eBay/amazon etc just make sure it is NOT OFFLINE version.
Step1 program new instrument cluster using that software/cable this would allow to switch ignition on/off (in my case it showed failed to install new instrument cluster but was able to put ignition ON/OFF)
Step2 program new BCM (just follow allong what it asks and you should be good to go)
When doing step 2 make sure you have all keys that you want to program to the car

Old 06-16-2024, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flo-1989
Hello unfortunately I have the same problem with the car .
The car worked without any problem .
Since I disconnected the battery ,now the car no longer recognizes the key to start .
Can you help me please.
You didn't mention what year your car is. On mine I can easily disconnect and reconnect the battery without a problem. Just press lock and unlock via remote and the car recognizes the remote. In your case, if you can't start the car, as a last option, there is a rib section on the side of the steering wheel. Place the remote there and the car will start. If it still does not start, review the battery + and - posts connection maybe the posts are still loose.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 06-16-2024 at 11:28 AM.