XF (X260) 2015 onwards

lack of power on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of power on acceleration

Hi

We have just purchased a Jaguar XF Sport brake 2.2d 200hp 2015 for a local dealer. Upon driving home the car lost power on acceleration when pulling off from the traffic lights and couldn't even reverse onto the drive. As it was late at night emailed the dealer so they had the email for when they opened as i had the intention of taking it straight back to them.

The next morning my wife drove the car to our office and reported the car drove like a dream. So we took it for a longer run to see how is was. Couldn't fault the car after driving 20 miles so headed back to the office.

The wife and daughter then decided to go to the shops in the car and after driving through town traffic and stop and starting the car lost power on acceleration again! As she was near the dealers she took it straight into them. After 3 hours she was told there was nothing wrong with the car, there was no faults showing on the computer and handed her back the keys.

Two traffic lights later car lost power on acceleration again. So she went straight back and they agreed to let Jaguar have a look at the car.

4 days later, a long test drive and no faults showing Jaguar said there was nothing wrong with the car so sent it back to me.

I took one of the sale reps out in the car with me to show them what the car does, they were totally shocked.

So - when the car it running at temperature and stopped at traffic lights or a junction there is no power at the pedal. Foot to the floor and the car wont move very fast at all. it will slowly creep forward and then the revs will pick up to about 3000rpm before it changes gear. So basically it loses throttle response and then changes gears erratically and gets worse.

However, when cold will drive fine again until you hit the stop/ start traffic or a junction.

Any help would be greatly received as the wife loves the car but we have no idea whether to send it back or keep it?

Old 10-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

I am not familiar with Jaguar diesel engines in European countries, but my first guess would be a clogged fuel filter.

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 10-06-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:27 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry for your issues..
Isn't your 2015 the final year of model x250?
Might also try posting your situation in that forum as this is x260..

My fault thoughts are:
Throttle Position Sensor
Coolant Temp Sensor
Crank Position Sensor

What did your Google search find?

Old 10-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll bet lunch this thread is related on cause:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post2436474

And here is a possible cause:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/engine-lack-power-124700/#post1044512

Old 10-08-2021, 07:56 AM
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Wondering whether this is related to the "Stop/Start" issue so many modern Jags have been having. From what @vandan48 has said the lack of power when trying to accelerate away, sounds very like the issue we were having. Solved by unplugging the stop/strat module.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
Did you get this sorted? My 2.2 is doing this and no one can fix it! No codes so no clues.
I’ve had it 6 years and 180k never let me down…. Until now…
thanks in advance!!

Old 06-21-2023, 08:17 AM

Hi,
did you get this resolved? Had mine for 7 years, done 150,000 miles and it's developed this problem.
Thanks.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RiceAD
Hi,
did you get this resolved? Had mine for 7 years, done 150,000 miles and it's developed this problem.
Thanks.
Sorry to say not as yet. I’ve been told it could be the egr valve. It could be the throttle body. It could be the fuel filter. Which has been changed… it could be a loss of vacuum somewhere… who knows?? I’m just about to give in and get rid. Did it today on M1 going into Leeds. Not ideal when you can’t move and the whole of West Yorkshire is stuck behind you!!!
Let me know if you get more sense than I have!! Good luck 🤞

The following users liked this post:
RiceAD (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 03:10 PM

Thanks Dean,
Looks like you've been struggling with it for 2 years. It started on hours after a service.
It can go for a while with nothing happening and the computer is not reporting any fault codes.
If I find anything, I'll certainly let you know.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:40 PM

Ive got exactly the same problem with my 2014 2.2 sportbrake its driving me mad

The following users liked this post:
RiceAD (06-27-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 11:41 AM
iso

Originally Posted by vandan48
Hi

We have just purchased a Jaguar XF Sport brake 2.2d 200hp 2015 for a local dealer. Upon driving home the car lost power on acceleration when pulling off from the traffic lights and couldn't even reverse onto the drive. As it was late at night emailed the dealer so they had the email for when they opened as i had the intention of taking it straight back to them.

The next morning my wife drove the car to our office and reported the car drove like a dream. So we took it for a longer run to see how is was. Couldn't fault the car after driving 20 miles so headed back to the office.

The wife and daughter then decided to go to the shops in the car and after driving through town traffic and stop and starting the car lost power on acceleration again! As she was near the dealers she took it straight into them. After 3 hours she was told there was nothing wrong with the car, there was no faults showing on the computer and handed her back the keys.

Two traffic lights later car lost power on acceleration again. So she went straight back and they agreed to let Jaguar have a look at the car.

4 days later, a long test drive and no faults showing Jaguar said there was nothing wrong with the car so sent it back to me.

I took one of the sale reps out in the car with me to show them what the car does, they were totally shocked.

So - when the car it running at temperature and stopped at traffic lights or a junction there is no power at the pedal. Foot to the floor and the car wont move very fast at all. it will slowly creep forward and then the revs will pick up to about 3000rpm before it changes gear. So basically it loses throttle response and then changes gears erratically and gets worse.

However, when cold will drive fine again until you hit the stop/ start traffic or a junction.

Any help would be greatly received as the wife loves the car but we have no idea whether to send it back or keep it?

Hello,

did you fix the problem, my jaguar xf 2.2 have just the same simptons, no fault code, loss of power after trafic light.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by iso
Hello,

did you fix the problem, my jaguar xf 2.2 have just the same simptons, no fault code, loss of power after trafic light.
I'm still having the problem occasionally. Seems better in the winter. I put an engine cleaner through and that may have helped. The local garage thought the turbo wasn't kicking in and fiddled with it which also seemed to improve things. They contacted Bosch but no answers yet.

Old 07-03-2024, 01:37 PM
Default Fix found

Originally Posted by vandan48
Hi

hi there,

had the exact same issue on my XF 2.2d and it was just dangerous. Ended up replacing the fuel filter with a Bosch from euros and has been perfect for the last 1k miles, before a drive over 30-40 mins would start the issue.

Hope this helps!