XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Lug nut lock Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Lug nut lock Help!!!!

Hi all,

So I did the dumbest thing the other day. I was installing my lowering springs on my f type and left the Lug nut lock key on the front lock and took the car for a test drive. Needless to say the key flew off at some point and now I can't get my wheels off.

This morning I went to the dealership to see if they could help. They said it isn't an f type lug nut lock. Referred me to a reputable shop down the street that specializes in tires and wheels. They were going to try and get a socket around it lock and get them off but there is not enough clearance to get the socket size in that will fit the lock. We googled and searched and came up with the type of locks and key. It looks as though they are Jaguar but maybe an older style or for another model.

I saw a description that said they were for the XF.

My question is do any of you have these or know any info on these locks and keys? Any help would be great. I found part numbers for the lock set I searched on google and checked with the dealer. They said the part number does come up, but it is a special order and cost $225. If it is the wrong key they wont return and refund unfortunately, so I'm hoping maybe some of the forum members could help me out on figuring out this dilemma.

Here are the best pics I can get of the locks.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

You might try Land Rover, maybe they can help you. According to this site, it is a Land Rover wheel locking nut.
https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...8gUGFnZQ%3D%3D

If everything fails, your worst nightmare, is have someone weld a bolt onto the locking nuts & get it loose. But you can't use your locking nuts anymore. Good luck

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 10-04-2021 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArnettsJag13 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Yes. I remove them and throw them away.
Also you will be better off if you replace all 20 of the crappy sheet metal covered lug nuts Jaguar has been installing on all Jags for the last 20 years.
We have dozens of threads where these covers have failed and caused all kinds of problems up to and including destroying the rim getting the damaged lug nut off.

What you want is a solid metal lug nut. Stainless is best but anything solid will last without problems. My chromed ones did get a bit of rust after being taken off and on several times as the socket dings up the edges of the lug nut a bit.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on the dealership and their customer service. I bought a used VW Jetta from the VW dealer and it had ben sold and serviced by that dealership. My daughter got a flat tire and could not find the lug nut key. I went to the dealership parts counter and the guy behind the counter said there were many key possiblities, He showed me a large ring with about 10 masters on it, and said I would have to tow the car in to see if they could find the right one, or maybe just hammer it with a sledge hammer and see if I could break it off.
I had a few pairs of vice grips and a large pair of channel lock pliers so I went to where the car was parked (just a couple of blocks away) to see if I could get it off. No such luck.
I went back to the dealership and there was another parts guy behind the counter. I explained the situation to him and he handed their runner the ring of master keys and told the runner to go with me to the car and see which one fit. He followed me over, we found the correct key, I removed the locking lug nut and the other 3 on the other wheels.
The first parts guy had no clue about customer service, the second guy totally understood customer service. After the rude behavior of the first guy, I would never shop at that dealership. but after dealing with the second guy, I would and I told the dealership general manager about him, and how he had saved a customer.
You might go back to the dealership and explain your problem to the parts manager. You may be lucky to find a manager that understands customer service. That is getting rare these days.

The following users liked this post:
ArnettsJag13 (10-07-2021)