XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Mystery Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,097 Likes on 713 Posts

I have a 2013 XF sportbrake with 55k miles on the clock. Never been in an accident and never driven hard. Over the weekend I had a front right flat tyre and it turned out the inner edge of both front tyres were badly worn to the canvas but I still had decent tread depth of over 3mm over the rest of the tread. Checking the other tyre and canvas was showing through on the inner edge of the left front tyre. Had both of them changed and this morning I took the car in to have the tracking/alignment checked. Whilst checking the tracking of all four wheels the mechanic called me over and showed me the wear on both the rear tyres. Both had over 3mm of tread right across the tyre but the inner edges of both tyres were down to the canvas. Nothing is rubbing on the tyres and he checked to make sure all the bushes were good and no wear or movement in the rear suspension. The front wheels had a slight toe-out which is adjustable but the rear tyres were also slightly out. This is adjustable but according to the mechanic not a cause of the wear pattern on the tyres. What was concerning is that the camber on the rear tyres is very top in bottom out which would account for the wear but there is no adjustment for the camber setting on the rear tyres. The set up of the rear suspension is the same as the Range Rover and the parts look identical but the difference is on the Land Rover the camber is adjustable but not so on the Jaguar.
Has anyone figured out why the tyres wear in this manner then corrected it. Could this be more to do with the self leveling suspension on the rear than mere alignment?
I also warn anyone with an XF to check their tread wear. I regularly check my tread but without getting the car on a lift or crawling under the car seeing the inner edge of the rear tyres is very difficult.

Front right tyre wear.

Right rear tyre wear.

Left rear tyre wear.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone found out why this is happening? I have contacted Jaguar and have not heard back. My tires failed at about 15K while most of the tire still had 80% of the tread available. Both rears wore the same, and the alignment was in spec. The car is under warranty but the dealer is telling me to pay for an alignment and then for the additional cost of two new tires but no guaranties that they will be any better.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

I contacted my local Jaguar main dealer and asked if they had come across this before. They stated they had not but if I bring the car in to them they will check the car out for me. I started to book the car in for an inspection but then asked if this was free or would I have to pay for it. They stated that it would cost £175 an hour to check the car but if they located the fault in the first half hour the remaining half hour ie £87.50 would be deducted from the repair costs. That was very kind of them. NOT.
Suffice to say I did not book the car in with them but took it to a local garage who adjusted the rear tracking but the rear camber cannot be adjusted. At the end of this month I am taking the car back to have the new tyres they fitted rotated to try and extend the life of the tyres.

In the UK Jaguar are not interested in repairing or checking all the XFs if a fault on an individual vehicle was found. Every owner would have to take their car independently to the main dealer and have it repaired at their own cost.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

After 4 years one of my tires started losing small pieces of rubber around the tire in the same line of the inside tread. 20K miles and not even 1/2 worn. Noticed it while rotating the tires and took it to my tire dealer. He said he'd seen it before and only on cars with independent rear suspension and didn't know the cause. This same tire failure has happened to several people on the forum and I'm surprised no one has come up with an answer yet.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:35 AM
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

I keep on returning to this thread from time to time and then crawling under my 2020 XF-S. At a bit over 12K miles, I have yet to see any anomalous tire wear at all. Is it only the earlier model years that exhibit this issue? If so, might be a clue there….what changed?

Old 03-14-2022, 02:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey DDF,
We have had an increasing number of cars with early wear on the tires, similar to yours. We found that the control arm bushings were completely shot and it caused the toe to be off so doing an alignment did nothing because the bushings were the real issue. I'd take a look at the front lower control arm bushings. They are serviceable outside of replacing the entire control arm. Might not be the issue for your car but we've seen so many lately that we keep the bushings in stock now. Hope this helps!

Old 12-08-2022, 02:35 PM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabrinaservicewriter
Hey DDF,
We have had an increasing number of cars with early wear on the tires, similar to yours. We found that the control arm bushings were completely shot and it caused the toe to be off so doing an alignment did nothing because the bushings were the real issue. I'd take a look at the front lower control arm bushings. They are serviceable outside of replacing the entire control arm. Might not be the issue for your car but we've seen so many lately that we keep the bushings in stock now. Hope this helps!
This sounds promising - thank you for the insight. When you say "front lower" are you referring to the fore lower arm, in the rear of the vehicle? Referred to as the "link rod" in this URL?

https://parts.jaguarcary.com/oem-par...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D

My 2018, with 35k miles (30k on the original pirellis) just experienced this issue on BOTH rear tires. Each are showing excessive wear and steel belts/fraying on the inner edge. I noticed it when I pulled the wheels off to put winters on. The car has had 3 4-wheel alignments from Jaguar in its life, last being no longer than 6months (5,000mi) ago. So in my case, this happened relatively quickly as the service department did not flag my tires or my alignment in the last service visit.

I just had the car checked with snow tires on and the alignment was still showing "good". Minor, and I mean MINOR toe adjustment was done on one side but was still in spec when I dropped it off. Leading me to believe I have either experienced tire failure on both sides, or something in the suspension, link arms, subframe. No other symptoms or faults present at this time. Tires always properly inflated.

Here is a photo of Rear-Right, Left/driver side looked the same

Compared to the front. Tires have always been rotated as well.

I am weary to drive on the snow tires with this issue, the car is still under warranty until May. How I do I approach this with my local dealer? Anyone have any advice that has had this addressed?

The following users liked this post:
Sabrinaservicewriter (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:44 PM

Hey SCMike!

Since we are an independent shop we haven't seen any of the 2019 and newer Jaguars come in because most of them are still covered under factory warranty. The cars we have seen this issue with have the XJ's and they typically have over 60k miles. The part number we have kept in stock is C2D4723- the front lower control arm bushings. The uneven wear we have witnessed has been on the front tires.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:49 PM

Hey DeviLSh,

I wish I knew of something for the rear tires having uneven tread or in your case completely shot tires. I would absolutely think there is a problem with your rear suspension. There are so many components to the suspension system without seeing the car it would be hard to tell. I would speculate that you have some bushings that are worn out in the rear. They may or may not be able to service the bushing separate from the entire control arm. We are an independent Jaguar repair shop and honestly haven't seen many of the newer Jaguars since they're covered under factory warranty. As for taking the car to the dealership, with the amount of alignments you have had-a competent shop should have noticed the uneven wear on your tires and looked for the cause of the problem. There is no reason your tires should be that badly worn with such low miles. As for the front lower control arm the part number we have been replacing is C2D4723. I will keep my eyes out for rear tire wear and get back to y'all if this becomes a problem for our customers. I hope this helps a little!

Old 12-19-2022, 12:54 PM

I would tell your dealership to test drive the vehicle, get it up on a lift and thoroughly inspect the suspension components. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to determine why the tires are wearing so quickly. They need to pin point where there is a worn out or broken suspension component. It sounds like to me that the dealership doesn't want to cover the repairs under warranty and wasting money on new tires will only give you the same end result-uneven and premature tire wear.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

In the UK Jaguar are not interested in looking at this issue unless I cross their palm with a lot of silver and even then I doubt if they would cover the repairs under a warranty. They would just say wear and tear on a ten plus year old car even though I only have 60k miles on the clock.
It is interesting from the above that Sabrinaservicewriter is now keeping the front bushes in stock as they have seen an increase in bush wear. Since having my alignment done following the excessive wear on my front and rear tyres in March 2021 I have not seen any further adverse tyre wear but my rear alignment was only on toe in/out as there is no adjustment on camber and it appears the tyre wear only really shows itself as the tyres get to below 1/3 of their wear life.
I am wondering if the tyre wear is caused by worn bushes on the rear suspension which only manifests itself when the car is driven hard. Torque created under acceleration and braking on the rear tyres, as the car is rear wheel drive, where there is a small amount of movement in the rubber bush. Not noticeable under stationary inspection, visible or with a crowbar, but soft rubbers allowing the tyres to go out of alignment under acceleration but when checked during an alignment test to be deemed OK.
Changing all the bushes in the rear arms is doable yourself without replacing the arms if you have the time and access to an Hydraulic press for around £100 (parts only). Changing both the rear suspension arms and wishbones for new is a little more expensive at around £800 (parts only) but at least you have the old ones off the car and you can change the bushes in your own time so you have a spare set lying around. I think this is a job I will tackle in the spring if I decide to keep the car for another couple of years. Changing all the bushes would require another alignment test though at another £100.

Last edited by Cass3958; 12-19-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Another XF with same issue

I have the start of the inner tire wear on my 2017 XF RSport. I have 42,000 miles . remainder of tread and fronts are good
Has anyone found a cause and solution for this problem?
it is unusual that both rears are affected similarly.. Has anyone found common suspension linkage that can affect this? Does anyone have a schematic of the full rear suspension ?

Originally Posted by Cass3958
In the UK Jaguar are not interested in looking at this issue unless I cross their palm with a lot of silver and even then I doubt if they would cover the repairs under a warranty. They would just say wear and tear on a ten plus year old car even though I only have 60k miles on the clock.
It is interesting from the above that Sabrinaservicewriter is now keeping the front bushes in stock as they have seen an increase in bush wear. Since having my alignment done following the excessive wear on my front and rear tyres in March 2021 I have not seen any further adverse tyre wear but my rear alignment was only on toe in/out as there is no adjustment on camber and it appears the tyre wear only really shows itself as the tyres get to below 1/3 of their wear life.
I am wondering if the tyre wear is caused by worn bushes on the rear suspension which only manifests itself when the car is driven hard. Torque created under acceleration and braking on the rear tyres, as the car is rear wheel drive, where there is a small amount of movement in the rubber bush. Not noticeable under stationary inspection, visible or with a crowbar, but soft rubbers allowing the tyres to go out of alignment under acceleration but when checked during an alignment test to be deemed OK.
Changing all the bushes in the rear arms is doable yourself without replacing the arms if you have the time and access to an Hydraulic press for around £100 (parts only). Changing both the rear suspension arms and wishbones for new is a little more expensive at around £800 (parts only) but at least you have the old ones off the car and you can change the bushes in your own time so you have a spare set lying around. I think this is a job I will tackle in the spring if I decide to keep the car for another couple of years. Changing all the bushes would require another alignment test though at another £100.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by robertccc
I have the start of the inner tire wear on my 2017 XF RSport. I have 42,000 miles . remainder of tread and fronts are good
Has anyone found a cause and solution for this problem?
it is unusual that both rears are affected similarly.. Has anyone found common suspension linkage that can affect this? Does anyone have a schematic of the full rear suspension ?
My indy AND my local jag dealer found "nothing" wrong with either my alignment, or my suspension, subframe, or wheel bearings. My 2018 is still on its winter tires and I have since purchased new tires for summer on ny extra set of wheels. I will be reluctantly installing them in a month or so and monitoring the wear very carefully. I really hope something other than assuming the tires are bad ends up being the cause for this as I just don't know how much I believe the rears would fail and not the fronts if this were a Pirelli Problem.

Wish I had more info for you

Old 02-26-2023, 01:23 PM

I had some inside wear on rears but not as bad as any of these pictures. I went to dealer to review. I spent time with the technician and reviewed the alignment settings. The inside of the tires showed some scrubbing. This is indicative of incorrect toe setting. On the rear suspension the toe is adjustable. The tech suggested certain adjustments to compensate for this.
It has only been a few weeks - I will monitor
in my opinion, the pictures shown in other threads could be caused by excessive toe

Old 02-26-2023, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I bought a Mercedes-Benz SLK in October 2020. There was a slight leftward steering bias that I took to be due to road camber. However, did some research on the internet, (as one does !), and found out a fault is possible with tyres that I had never heard of previously. This fault is called tyre conicity, and in simple terms means the tread is not flat to the road, but has a very slight cone angle. At this point I should say the tyres were very new and of the "Joe Noname" brand made in the Far East. Here in the UK, dealers must by law sell roadworthy cars, so if the tyres are worn out when they take the car in, replace them with cheap tyres.
However, I thought it best to get the car checked on a 4-wheel tracking rig, and took the car to a local garage that does a lot of performance car work. The check showed the car with virtually perfect tracking. So the front wheels were swapped over left to right, and the steering bias disappeared immediately !! However, last year's MOT, (our UK mandatory roadworthiness test), showed the front tyres starting to wear on the inner shoulders. The car was passed as roadworthy as the wear is within limits, but at the next MOT, it's likely I'll need to replace the front tyres.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:24 PM
Default update

the wear on inside rears was not fixed after a toe adjustment . I continued to have extreme wear similar to pics on this thread.
I pulled the wheels and did a suspension review while suspension was not loaded, Much of the suspension utilizes variable rate bonded bushings instead of balljoints.
I determined the upper link bushings , specifically the outer had much higher compliance than I expected.
when the suspension is loaded, with wheels on - like on an alignment rack, this is harder to asses and actually in proper position, and not detected by static alignment.
In my opinion, severe camber is causing tire wear. the sever camber is not seen static loaded at ride height. But when the car reverses, and reverses turning (going into parking spot) the caster angle of the suspension loads the bushings in reverse, and if the bushings are too compliant, will adversely the camber angle and generate the tire wear.
SO i had both rear upper links replaced. (couldn't find correct bushings and would be net more expensive for labor to replace bushings.) . Had a good indy shop and very good alignment shop also review.
New tires and a few months - no inner wear or scrub.

The following 2 users liked this post by robertccc:
DeviLSh (06-21-2023), Ichi Ban (12-18-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Replaced my original tires after 25K miles/7 years since manufactured. Lots of tread remaining ... say 40% ... Rotated every 5K miles. No adverse wear other than some missing and unexplainable chunks from the center tread that didn't alter performance or seem to become a failure.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by robertccc
the wear on inside rears was not fixed after a toe adjustment . I continued to have extreme wear similar to pics on this thread.
I pulled the wheels and did a suspension review while suspension was not loaded, Much of the suspension utilizes variable rate bonded bushings instead of balljoints.
I determined the upper link bushings , specifically the outer had much higher compliance than I expected.
when the suspension is loaded, with wheels on - like on an alignment rack, this is harder to asses and actually in proper position, and not detected by static alignment.
In my opinion, severe camber is causing tire wear. the sever camber is not seen static loaded at ride height. But when the car reverses, and reverses turning (going into parking spot) the caster angle of the suspension loads the bushings in reverse, and if the bushings are too compliant, will adversely the camber angle and generate the tire wear.
SO i had both rear upper links replaced. (couldn't find correct bushings and would be net more expensive for labor to replace bushings.) . Had a good indy shop and very good alignment shop also review.
New tires and a few months - no inner wear or scrub.
Experiencing same severe inner tread wear right passenger rear like in pictures on my 2018 XFS Sportbrake. Luckily lost air in a parking lot and not on the freeway. Couldn't believe my eyes when tire was removed--down to the metal on the very inner treads. Had to replace tire, but noticed similar, but not as bad wear on driver rear, but obviously is happening there also. Fronts look fine.
Are you still having no problems after doing the rear upper links?
Others have expressed belief that severe toe out due to bad bushings when accelerating causes this and not a camber problem. Any more information on this problem you can share?

Old 12-04-2023, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by orrlfrd
Experiencing same severe inner tread wear right passenger rear like in pictures on my 2018 XFS Sportbrake. Luckily lost air in a parking lot and not on the freeway. Couldn't believe my eyes when tire was removed--down to the metal on the very inner treads. Had to replace tire, but noticed similar, but not as bad wear on driver rear, but obviously is happening there also. Fronts look fine.
Are you still having no problems after doing the rear upper links?
Others have expressed belief that severe toe out due to bad bushings when accelerating causes this and not a camber problem. Any more information on this problem you can share?
What tires are you on? What mileage were they?

I don't have an answer, but about 1year now after getting new tires and I haven't noticed severe rear wear. I had not one but TWO jaguar dealers inspect my rear suspension for anything worn or out of spec. They found nothing and said to keep on top of alignments (I always have). I suspect it's a dynamic load issue that isnt perceptible during the static alignment process. I have also looked around and tried using a jack to compress the suspension but I cannot identify anything abnormal to my untrained eye.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:03 PM

Original tires, Pirelli P7 Cinturato and have approximately 26.5K miles. Fronts look good and maybe half worn out. I see you have a 2018 Sportbrake as well, nice car until this happened. Otherwise has been trouble free

Last edited by orrlfrd; 12-04-2023 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Tire Wear