XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Mystery Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The new rear upper links replacement has fixed the issue. The bushings had become too compliant Could not replace bushings or find then so new links Also put new tires Went from pirelli to Michelin. Had 40 k on originals. We’re good except for the rear inners treads

Old 12-05-2023, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you said you're pretty sure it was a camber issue in your case, right? What year and model Jag do you own. Your problem was on the back end, not front, correct? I know Jags don't allow rear camber adjustments, only toe adjustments. Seems most feel the inside severe wear problem is a toe out problem which happens when the car is driven, and tests ok on a static regular alignment. Am I correct?

Old 12-10-2023, 11:52 AM

RobertCC
Thanks for the reply and information regarding the rear tire wear problem. Delayed answer as I took car to local Jag dealer, and as others have written alignment checks did show nothing serious, a little toe out on back passenger rear. They aligned according to Jag specs. I now have 3 new tires (both on drivers side as they were 6 years old and showing some signs of early separation). Already had to replace right rear while on trip due to complete failure and severe inside wearing to metal core. Front right had been replaced by dealer as they damaged it several years ago during routine service.
Dealer said no evidence of bushing problem. Car is 6 years old, but only 27K miles. I imagine what you experienced it correct--and I told service guy that, as well as gave him print outs of what is on Jag forums site regarding this issue. New tires are again the same tires the car came with. Pirelli P7 Cituratos..
I will be keeping a close eye on back wear, and if it continues will ask them to do what you did. Right now Jag dealer doesn't think i need any bushing replacements, and I'm irritated by the apparent disregard of what happened to the rear tires. Asked them if contacting Jag to ask if they have any knowledge of this happening, and was told their are no service bulletins or recalls for this problem.
Unfortunately, I don't drive this car all the time--usually we only take it on trips, not around town. Only driving around 5k/year.
I'll see and thanks again for responding to my email to you!

Old 12-18-2023, 06:15 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm also aware from the owner of a bodyshop that specialized in repairing import cars which were damaged in shipment that dealers don't report the damage. According to that guy, it's pretty common. When having a deer hit repaired I was surprised to learn from a bodyshop that my brand new F-Type S had had previous body repairs!

Slightly off topic but I experienced cupping and balance issues with OEM Pirelli P7 tires on our previous XE. The OEM Contis on our previous XF were only slightly better. I swapped them out for my favorite Conti DWS tires because my experience with P7s has indicated they aren't all that great in rain, snow or cornering. The Conti DWS tires seemed to resolve the issue for several thousand miles until the cars were later traded in.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:47 PM
Received 269 Likes on 206 Posts

The passenger side rear receives the most load around a roundabout, and with the suspension compressed there is possibly a little camber added which may explain the wear on the inside.

In Australia, people have the same complaint but it's on the opposite side of the car.

The following users liked this post:
Ichi Ban (12-18-2023)
Old 01-10-2024, 03:28 PM
Default Solution!

Originally Posted by orrlfrd
Experiencing same severe inner tread wear right passenger rear like in pictures on my 2018 XFS Sportbrake. Luckily lost air in a parking lot and not on the freeway. Couldn't believe my eyes when tire was removed--down to the metal on the very inner treads. Had to replace tire, but noticed similar, but not as bad wear on driver rear, but obviously is happening there also. Fronts look fine.
Are you still having no problems after doing the rear upper links?
Others have expressed belief that severe toe out due to bad bushings when accelerating causes this and not a camber problem. Any more information on this problem you can share?
I had the exact same happen to me twice on my 2017 XF S AWD. Passenger rear down to steel belts while the rest of tire was like-new, and driver side rear inside edge worn as well. After I insisted something must be wrong with the car the 2nd time the same thing happened (and complained directly to Jaguar North America), they did a thorough check at the dealership and replaced passenger rear side upper control arm and strut, as well as 2 new tires I paid for. This was in 2019......never saw any sign of this problem since then, and I put another 50,000 miles on it! Jaguar NA
did give me a $1000 coupon for whatever, to offset the cost of tires I shredded due to a problem their dealerships did not catch!

I hope this helps!
​​​​​​​

Old 01-10-2024, 06:28 PM

Thanks so much for responding. I had to buy 2 new tires for back, same problem, down to steel belts on passenger side of my 2018 Sportbrake, and less so on the drivers side. Took car to local Jag dealer in S California where I live. Alignment nearly in spec, but with few minor adjustments. I showed the service rep posts from this forum as well as pictures of my tire with I had to replace in Scottsdale AZ to get home.

Told the service guy who I have known for some time that other posts talked about upper control arm bushings as cause of problem.
I'm glad that you posted your email and to whom it went. Called service rep at local dealer, so far no call back.
I'm hoping for similar resolution. Could have been a disaster as I had just been on the Freeway in AZ. Felt the lumpy sensation like you describe.
I'll post whatever Jag USA responds. How did you find the email address to send your complaint??

Old 01-10-2024, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by orrlfrd
Thanks so much for responding. I had to buy 2 new tires for back, same problem, down to steel belts on passenger side of my 2018 Sportbrake, and less so on the drivers side. Took car to local Jag dealer in S California where I live. Alignment nearly in spec, but with few minor adjustments. I showed the service rep posts from this forum as well as pictures of my tire with I had to replace in Scottsdale AZ to get home.

Told the service guy who I have known for some time that other posts talked about upper control arm bushings as cause of problem.
I'm glad that you posted your email and to whom it went. Called service rep at local dealer, so far no call back.
I'm hoping for similar resolution. Could have been a disaster as I had just been on the Freeway in AZ. Felt the lumpy sensation like you describe.
I'll post whatever Jag USA responds. How did you find the email address to send your complaint??
Glad I could help! I think I just called the Jaguar North America number and worked my way thru the system until I got to someone who would listen to a pissed off customer who loves their product, but hates incompetence from people that work for them.

Keep us all posted on what you find out! Quoting this thread helped me in my journey to figuring it out, and being able to enjoy my car for the last 5 years!

Old 02-24-2024, 07:36 PM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had this happen too, successively shredded 2 of the OE Pirellis on the rear w/in 20k miles. Dealer said alignment was "within spec" both times. On my own I added 1/16" of toe in, have subsequently gone 35k with minimal wear. Methinks the factory specs are a little loose.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the information. I have heard this before regarding the "toe in" alignment helping with the problem. Like I had earlier said, alignment was pretty close to factory specs, but I have sent an email to Land Rover Jaguar today regarding this problem, as so far I have spent around $1300 for alignment and replacement tires. Car is a Sportbrake 2018 with 27K miles and out of warranty. Got the idea from member mpastar above your post so I'll be posting here the results of my request for the rear upper control arm and strut. We'll see. Otherwise I will try the toe in adjustment, and if that doesn't work guess I'll have to replace the suspension parts on my dime.